Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seemed so off lol Triple H walking around with the IC title and taking orders from Austin, Austin acting like a wuss and acting all chummy. How did anyone take this ish seriously LOL ?

Made no sense at all from a creative stand point.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I wasn't a fan. WWE was losing steam at this point.

·
Registered
212 Posts
They should've booked Austin as a tweeener coming out of WM17. Have Vince help him in the main event then turn on him too and send the Texas fans home happy. You could still have him destroy Rock in the Steel Cage and have Austin feud with everybody tapping more into his 96/97 version instead of his 98/00 version of his character.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It sucked because

1) There were no guys on their level to compete with. Sorry, but at that time Undertaker was not on that top tier level.

2) It made absolutely no sense for Austin to align with the guy who arranged for him to be hit by a car....and for HHH to align with Austin who dumped him inside a car from a forklift. When HHH showed up on the RAW after WM 17, he should have challenged Austin citing he beat him at No Way Out and not joined forces with him.

3) HHH was an alpha male after splitting from Shawn Michaels. It was out of character seeing him be side by side and playing second fiddle tk Austin, the WWF Champion....ESPECIALLY since HHH was obsessed with being WWF Champion.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I struggled with it. Especially since HHH tried to murder Austin by running him over as well. I love Austin, but the his turn at WM 17 started the downswing in wresting. It was all down hill from there.
I thought it was dumb as hell, as far as the downswing, it was caused by a variety of factors.

• Fall 2000 Raw moving from power house USA network to a POS TNN
  • Stephanie becomes head of creative Fall 2000
  • Stupid storylines like Rikishi vs Austin
  • WCW being bought by WWF
  • The Rock taking a break to film the Scorpion King
  • Austin's heel turn
  • Botched Invasion
In general the wrestling boom was winding down before we even hit 2001

·
Registered
212 Posts
I thought it was dumb as hell, as far as the downswing, it was caused by a variety of factors.

• Fall 2000 Raw moving from power house USA network to a POS TNN
  • Stephanie becomes head of creative Fall 2000
  • Stupid storylines like Rikishi vs Austin
  • WCW being bought by WWF
  • The Rock taking a break to film the Scorpion King
  • Austin's heel turn
  • Botched Invasion
In general the wrestling boom was winding down before we even hit 2001
hit the nail right on the head I remember all these events as a kid fake turned me off not like off wrestlinng completely but def went from mark to smark after those times.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
It seemed so off lol Triple H walking around with the IC title and taking orders from Austin, . How did anyone take this ish seriously LOL ?

Made no sense at all from a creative stand point.
Which is why the original plan was for HHH to turn babyface and go after Austin, but that didn't happen due to the injury.

Austin acting like a wuss and acting all chummy
That happened later. The first 2 months of Austin's heel run was pretty solid. Reminded me of his 1996-1997 run.

·
Registered
137 Posts
HHH wouldn't turn face because he knew a freshly turned top heel in Austin would leave him laying a lot. HHH is not a fan of that, so the fans had to endure months and months of Austin and HHH leaving everyone laying.
Exactly. Triple H and Stephanie both knew this is what would happen. If Trips didn't tear his quad he probably would have turned face anyways eventually.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
it reeked of desperation and lacked sense but it was still pretty cool, plus it helped put midcarders like Benoit, Jericho and the hardys in the limelight

Reactions: FanSince88

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
HHH wouldn't turn face because he knew a freshly turned top heel in Austin would leave him laying a lot. HHH is not a fan of that, so the fans had to endure months and months of Austin and HHH leaving everyone laying.
I'm surprised Austin would even let that happen. During that time Austin was the bigger star. Nothing HHH could do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts