Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering if any others on here watch mostly for nostalgia nowadays, or watch older guys like Kane for example, who have been around for a long time. I got sort of lured back into watching WWE right around the time Kane returned with the mask this past year.. Almost got lured out of wrestling when I saw how ridiculous he was being booked.. I got lucky and stayed tuned in to catch Undertaker's return at the start of this year. Had no idea he was coming back. I hadnt watched in so long I didnt really know he returned around that time every year now. Kind of got lured into the whole Rock/Cena feud as well, so all that kept me tuned in and entertained. I would watch every week to see what Kane done, Taker/HHH,Rock, etc.. I just couldnt, and still cant get too excited about any other feuds/gimmicks.. Im not a fan at all of the current roster, so I basically watch wrestling to watch the very few vets they have left.

Bought Wrestlemania for the first time in my life, and it was worth every penny and then some. Like I said im not a fan of the current roster but I thought they put on a pretty good show and it was pretty entertaining. Then, all of a sudden, the PPV was over, and the main guy I tuned in for was gone, and probably gone for another year except maybe for RAW 1000th.. I kept tuning in to see the Rock the next night, and then Lesnar returned and I, of course, stayed tuned in for all of that. Now he is gone again for awhile, and I pretty much stick around to watch Kane. Thats pretty much it, lol. I wont buy another PPV until Taker is back, unless they get "creative" for once and book Kane in a descent feud, match..

Anyone else watch mainly for things like that or does the majority here pretty much enjoy wrestling for the mix of newer talent/vets?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I certainly don't watch for the likes of Cody Rhodes, Daniel Bryan, Punk, Ziggler etc. I find them useless.

But I do like some of the "new-comers" like Alberto Del Rio and Sin Cara.

I myself is a fan of Kane, so of course he's a reason I tune in every raw and SD!.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yup same here i was a huge Kane mark back in the days i saty mostly cause im a wrestling fan its just something that i care about not as much as i used to,unless Rock,HHH,Taker,Austin or some old school guy is involved but im happy i got back into wrestling thanks to Rock returning and now yeah i watch mostly cause of Kane and i look forward for some good matches from time to time

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I certainly don't watch for the likes of Cody Rhodes, Daniel Bryan, Punk, Ziggler etc. I find them useless.

But I do like some of the "new-comers" like Alberto Del Rio and Sin Cara.

I myself is a fan of Kane, so of course he's a reason I tune in every raw and SD!.
I agree with that 100%, thats basically what I was trying to say in the first post, only you didnt write a book out of it like I did, lol. Man do I dread the day when some of these guys are seriously gone for good, like retired, no more matches.. Wrestlemania sure will be sad every year.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Absolutely. WWE is my little escape from the stresses of daily life. I only got back into it during a particularly stressful time, and now I'm basically just re-addicted to it.

If it hadn't been a part of my childhood, there's no way I'd watch this garbage. :p

But I do thank you here at WF for making the shows fun to watch. It's basically like we're the commentators of a bad '60s B-movie on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

There are still some real mark-out moments for me (Punk MITB 2011, Rock over Cena at WM29), but they're so rare, it's almost negligible.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Not really! Don't get me wrong I love seeing guys like Rock, Taker, Michaels, and so on when they show up. And even recently I didn't mind seeing Vader show up on last Monday's Raw. But I don't stay around for a pure nostalgic factor. If that was the case I probably wouldn't tune in at all to be honest. I'd just watch tapes and DVDs of the past when a certain superstar was in their prime.

With that being said I'm mainly watching currently for people like Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Rhodes and more recently AJ. I enjoy the mix of the newer talent with certain vets. As long as the vets still have something to offer, I don't mind seeing them around. While the roster isn't as strong as it once was. There are still a decent amount of younger talent with something to prove.

While I loved the 90s especially as far as wrestling goes and I'll always think 10-15 years ago was a better product then currently. It's not all bad.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I watch because I'm just a diehard wrestling fan. I certainly prefer other promotions from the Indies and Japan but WWE is still technically wrestling so I still watch.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im just glad to be able to watch the few vets we have left perform nowadays. I guess I try to enjoy it while I can. 1998 doesnt seem that long ago, really. Doesnt seem that long ago when wrestling was just an unbelievable, epic experience every week that gave me memories I will charish forever. I know that sounds gay but its true. I personally hold the legends responsible for all that, I mean they were a part of my childhood that i'll never forget, and to be able to see them still out there competing some, all these years later, I find it pretty cool. The number 1 guy im talking about of course is Taker, and its hard to believe sometimes that he's only around for like 1 match a year now. He looked good at Mania, but damn has he aged. Things might seem different if I hadnt quit watching in 03, 04.. But I did, and didnt really catch much of Taker for all those years until his return this year, and I was pretty much shocked..

Seems like time has flown by. I sit back and enjoy every little bit I can now that has to do with the vets, since we never know how much longer we have to see em compete, or even appear. I sit back now and think of the memories, which dont seem so long ago even though they are.. Crazy to think in another decade, 2 decades, ill be looking back at the memories of both my childhood, and the memories from this past RTWM,WM, and the future ones to come.. But guys like Taker probably wont be around anymore. It will all be a part of history. The younger talent will have their time, they already have their time. All the people complaining about legends returning... You all are gonna wish they would come back in a few years when there doesnt seem to be any, like NONE, left.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Not at all. I want new stars, not the same shit I've seen 1000 times before. Gotta move on with the times. WWE doesn't, that's why the ratings and buyrates keep going down.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
I like new stars. Except when all the new stars suck. Which is one of WWE's many problems. At this point I just watch out of habit.

·
Distant Relative of Former Def Jam Intern/Presiden
16,308 Posts
The reason I watch:

Taker
Rock
HHH
Nash
HBK's appearances
Lesnar

Jericho
Orton
Sheamus
Rio
Barrett

Some others I like, alot of others I don't care for, a couple I hate.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats 1 reason im glad they bring old stars back for big PPVS alot of times, like Taker for WM.. These guys are still able to compete so why not let em while they can? The only problem with the whole deal is the WWE's inability to really build and push more stars then 1, ( which is Cena ).. They better fix it within the years to come or all the remaining legends are gonna suddenly be done and gone and WWE's gonna have to go into panic mode lol..

1 of the biggest things I hold responsible for the decline is booking and gimmicks.. Today its almost all gimmicks directed towards kids, humorous, comedy type gimmicks.. Back in the day we had a badass beer drinkin redneck, a deadman from death valley, a demon named Kane with a burnt face... Vampired like Gangrel/The Brood.. A pimp... You name it...

·
Banned
682 Posts
With the exception of casuals and kids, I think most people watching wrestling out of routine/habit/boredom. There are also a lot of smarks who probably only watch just for the sake of taking part in the IWC community. Then there are people who watch purely to see a certain wrestler they like, but couldn't give a shit about the rest of the show.

·
Starving for poutine
7,260 Posts
Yes.

It was difficult for me to get back into wrestling when I stopped watching in 2007. I got interested again in 2011 when The Rock returned to "host" WrestleMania so I gave WWE another shot.

At first, Swagger, Ziggler, Riley, Ryder, Rhodes and Miz didn't appeal to me at all. I thought they looked all the same. I still do now, but since the last couple of months, I'm starting to like Ziggler and Rhodes. The rest are still bland and boring to me.

But I'm not all for nostalgia only. Sure, I enjoy seeing my childhood stars wrestle or make appearances but I also enjoy watching newcomers like Bryan and Punk (Ziggler and Rhodes too, but not as much). Those are the only new guys that keep me hooked to the current product.

I'm also very interested to see what HHH and Steph have in store for the future when they take over.

·
Banned
2,197 Posts
Indeed. I hadn't watched a full Raw in about 10 years until after Wrestlemania 28. Only watched WM28 to see Undertaker vs HHH and the Rock, which I coincidentally saw an ad for on some website the day of the show and decided to order. I am so lost trying to get back into it but am reminded almost every show why I stopped watching in the first place.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
You need to move on. The past can't come back. The sooner you accept that the sooner you get to see what is good about the current product. Granted, there's not much, but there's enough that you can enjoy parts of it if you let yourself.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
You need to move on. The past can't come back. The sooner you accept that the sooner you get to see what is good about the current product. Granted, there's not much, but there's enough that you can enjoy parts of it if you let yourself.
Preach.(Y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts