Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That we're one week away from SS....and We haven't even gotten a Survivor series match set yet!?!

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. Also doesn't surprise me that there are only 3 matches announced.

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
I am pretty surprised, yes. Maybe they're not going to have one, though. Maybe they think the one we just had is enough. I disagree, since I like team matches, but who knows. If they're not going to, Alberto Del Rio vs Rey Mysterio and other midcard matches HAVE to be announced. We need more matches.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Baffled? No. More like annoyed as this was always my second favorite PPV, Royal Rumble being the first. There was plenty of time to set 2 up, one for each brand, but not something as easy as random heels vs random faces. Something with a story. Too late now though :(.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I'm definitely annoyed. This makes me think that they were planning to do something with C.M. Punk in regards to having a Survivor Series match, and that got a monkey wrench thrown into once he got injured.

It's definitely not good that there are only like 3 or 4 matches announced for one of the biggest Shows of the Year.

Makes me think that the show won't be very good.

·
pretending to be nice
1,492 Posts
I don't really mind, we've had alot of those elimination tag matches at PPV's this year. They should announce SOMETHING though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
There has been a few survivor series type matches lately so I don't really see the point of throwing a few together in a week with no build up or anything. I can see them putting a legends team together to face some heels from RAW and Smackdown though, which would be quite sad really.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I can see it being Nexus (Gabriel, Slater, Hennig, Husky and Botchtunga) vs 5 Legends?

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I'm not sure they'll have any, and quite frankly I don't want any. I've had my fill of multi-man matches the past couple of PPVs (MITB, Fatal Fourway, Summerslam, Bragging Rights, NOC). Multi-man matches are pointless and never result in anything good. Just a way to get guys on the card, while taking the focus off guys who should really have focus.

I would rather they just stuck to the one on one matches this year. I would feel different if they hadn't loaded all the other PPVs with multi-man matches. But for this one. Add Morrison/Sheamus, Rey/Del Rio, MVP/Ziggler and you have a pretty decent looking card.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Yeah, the lack of announced matches is certainly weird. The only thing I can think of is maybe the airings just prior to PPV's a ratings drop because some of the more casual fans don't expect much to transpire leading into a PPV with a card already fully etched in stone, so they're dragging it out until the last show to get more people tuning in to see what matches will be made. I don't know if this is true, but it could be a marketing experiment.

Anyway, all I know is they better have Tyler Reks and Kaval part 2. Awesome feud is awesome.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I agree with everyone's sentiments on not wanting to see an elimination match, which is a shame because I've always liked the traditional SS matches. They've given away so many elimination matches this year though. Usually SS is your only chance to see an elimination tag match each year so I get excited for it, but this year they've gone overboard (not to mention their booking of multi-man matches in general has sucked this year).

The bigger issue is the fact that they've only booked 3 matches and of those 3 matches, only bothered hyping up one. They're pretty much banking on the Barrett/Orton match on getting them buys. But does anyone really buy a PPV for 1 match?

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Yeah, the lack of announced matches is certainly weird. The only thing I can think of is maybe the airings just prior to PPV's a ratings drop because some of the more casual fans don't expect much to transpire leading into a PPV with a card already fully etched in stone, so they're dragging it out until the last show to get more people tuning in to see what matches will be made. I don't know if this is true, but it could be a marketing experiment.

Anyway, all I know is they better have Tyler Reks and Kaval part 2. Awesome feud is awesome.
You may well be onto something there, I've never looked at the ratings in that way so it's entirely possible. However, it would surprise me if that were the case, I would've thought the semse of anticipation that comes from watching all of these angles develop would be far more beneficial.

Having said all of that I don't think our two positions are mutually exclusive. In theory the writing teams should have a number of angles going on simultaneously, any of which could be PPV worthy. That would mean that they could put off the announcement of the final card while still having tht sense of anticiapation. As it stands, not only do I not know which matches are going to happen but I can't see which matches should happen.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
The bigger issue is the fact that they've only booked 3 matches and of those 3 matches, only bothered hyping up one. They're pretty much banking on the Barrett/Orton match on getting them buys. But does anyone really buy a PPV for 1 match?
Even worse, they're not even banking it on the whole match. Just Cena's decision.

·
Premium Member
12,067 Posts
What does it matter? There's another PPV in like two weeks, right?

The WWE creative team forgot how to effectively build toward PPVs a long time ago.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Maybe they will set up one multi-man tag match involving the Nexus because the tag team match has been the main characteristic of this PPV for years and i don't think they will just ignore it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I would LOL if one of the few PPV's of the year that hadn't got multi-man matches was Survivor Series...

Royal Rumble,Eliminaiton Chamber,Wrestlemania (MITB),Fatal-4-Way,MITB,SummerSlam,NOC and Bragging Rights all had multi-man matches,but the only one that traditionaly had that 5 on 5 Tag Team match and that was part of the Big 4 didn't have one?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
They should have a traditional SS tag match but it should have a meaning, like the winning team gets to be in a #1 contender's tournament or something.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I'm not suprised at all, this is typical WWE. And they wonder why thier PPV buys are dropping.......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts