Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Banned
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I’ve read for way too long about how on Raw, June 26th 2011, CM Punk took the microphone, sat down on the ramp and proceeded to demonstrate his promo genius infront of the world where he came up with a ton of completely original ingenius stuff that no one else in the business could have. Everyone across the message boards and YouTube compared him to The Rock and Austin and made him out to be the best talker in years who could come up with stuff in the fly and make it into gold. He was the new Austin and that was his 'Austin 316' speach where he'd break out as the new superstar who would lead the company forward.

But let’s face facts... Punk cut the promo that ANY WRESTLER in the WWE could have cut. He didn’t come up with anything in that promo that wasn’t already common insider knowledge, he just listed a bunch of stuff that anyone from within the business could have listed. Referencing ‘the bosses daughter’, ‘Johnny Ace’, ‘Vince’s yes men’, ‘Dwayne’ and the rest could have been done by literally anyone who knew about that stuff that has become smark folklore. Someone like Michael McGillicutty who has a basic level of mic-skills and charisma for example could have flipped out on the WWE and it would have gotten over as much as Punk did. Jack Swagger who is a very good talker but is directionless could have done it. Curt Hawkins could have done it. Miz, Truth, Morrison, Ziggler, Riley... ANYONE.

Punk didn’t cut a promo in which he based the content on what has happened in a recent feud or a storyline that he’d been engaged in - something that takes SKILL - he just listed all of this stuff that happened years ago and got over (for a short short while) on shock value alone, something that the aforementioned anyone with a basic memory of wrestling's inner workings could have done. The following week for example when he appeared it was nothing like as good, and he was reduced to making the same ‘your wife’ jokes over and over again and going on for some reason about Ice Cream bars, occasionally resorting to the retarded catchphrase of ‘PIPEBOOOOMMMBBB’. He became a generic babyface who suddenly loved the fans that he supposedly loathed a number of days ago. He bragged about bringing change but brought nothing whatsoever. What's funniest is he cried about WWE politics but then manipulated his position in WWE to get his girlfriend Beth Phoenix regular TV time.

Nothing against him personally but all of this love for him is ridiculous. He's not cut a single promo in the WWE, other than a couple of his SES ones before it got really repetitive, that was any good and he was best suited when he was sitting his skinny, average joe pencil-pusher ass behind the announcers booth and calling matches. Let's face it, he LOOKS like an announcer, not a wrestler.

Punk has been found out and is sinking faster than a lead balloon.

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
No, only he could, because he has the delivery and the natural charisma that made that promo so special. Riley, Miz, Truth, Ziggler and especially buffoons like Morrison couldn't have pulled it off as well. If those guys cut the same promo it would have been shocking but number one it wouldn't have made sense, and number two it wouldn't have been as impactful.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I agree with half of this.

While the promo is nothing legendary considering it was nothing more than his usual complaining,Namedropping & breaking kayfabe but I just dont think anyone on the roster could match Punk's delivery on the mic.

He delivers his lines with so much passion, thats what stands out about that promo.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
lmao in that case ANYONE COULD SAY ANYTHING. It's not about the goddamn words. It's about the way you say it, the delivery and just the way you can get the people interested. Punk is clearly good at that. It takes legitimate mic skills and charisma to do that.

Nothing against him personally but all of this love for him is ridiculous. He's not cut a single promo in the WWE, other than a couple of his SES ones before it got really repetitive, that was any good and he was best suited when he was sitting his skinny, average joe pencil-pusher ass behind the announcers booth and calling matches. Let's face it, he LOOKS like an announcer, not a wrestler.
This is embarrassing. Even just in WWE over the past 3 months he's cut far more than just that promo that is good. While you may not understand the love Punk gets, I quite frankly can't understand the lame excuses people use to discredit everything he does.

·
Asuka
96,224 Posts
Yes, it's technically true that the exact same words could theoretically be spoken out of anyone's mouth who the WWE employs, but that's about where the argument ends.

EDIT ~ God help me, I just saw "Best in the world - Randy Orton, Jack Swagger, Sheamus" in this guys sig. Well, there you go. That says it all.

·
Ex nihilo
9,317 Posts
Christian is the only other guy who could've pulled it off as well, not only in terms of mic skill but also having actual reason to shoot (having been there so long, having the talent and never been given the chance)

·
Banned
740 Posts
Something tells me this isnt gonna go down well on an internet fan forum....

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Anyone could of done the promo, but they may of not done it as well as Punk did. Punk's delivery was brilliant and made it seem very real. A guy like The Rock couldn't of down that.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
:lmao At the thought JOHN MORRISON cutting that promo, or any promo Punk's ever cut. Just :lmao If you honestly think that, then you just don't get the power of promo skills and the talent it requires and you probably never will.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
No he couldnt. Why? Because few people were as right as him. Lets face it, he's the best pure talent in the WWE. So who could cut this promo? Who could claim to be held back? Who has the delivery? The charisma?

It was the right promo for the right guy.

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
Christian is the only other guy who could've pulled it off as well, not only in terms of mic skill but also having actual reason to shoot (having been there so long, having the talent and never been given the chance)
That's true. Christian would have done just as well and maybe had more of a reason to complain than Punk.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't think it could have the same effect had an other wrestler cut that exact promo. Yeah the name dropping and the insider talk would have created a buzz but it wouldn't have had the same magnitude as it had with CM Punk. You have to bear in mind what CM Punk represents. He is the guy who never should have made it out of the indys because WWE push guys like Cena. That's why this promo got people talking I think. CM Punk had already a fanbase that actually believed he could shake things up after he said those things.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts