Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many rips him apart cause of his history of ego/politics/burying other talent/his career likely being pretty different IF he had never hooked up with Stephanie,But......When it comes to his character/mic& ring work/look,I think he deserves some credit.

I think he has a full package of IT as a wrestler!,Awesome characters(not so much in his snob character though)/great mic work/pretty damn good in the ring and just a fantastic look for a wrestler!

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
lol no.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
do you know what underrated means?
Of course I do!,Maybe I did not explain well enough,But I meant that many think he's shit as a wrestler mostly cause of his ways backstage,I just think he's a great wrestler in many ways.

I think he has had many great matches/feuds&moments that deserves credit than actually given by most fans,I'll see him as Legend in 10-15 years from now!(even as one right now IF he were to fully retire soon)

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
No way. As much as I like Triple H, he absolutely embodies "overrated."

·
Registered
118 Posts
hhh is a 10 time champion. half of those reigns are probably undeserved.

however, once he married steph, he stopped winning belts, took a step back, and allowed cena to take his spot. so, over the last few years, you could say he was underrated if you want to, but thats because he wanted to avoid criticism for abusing his power.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think he is majorly "over-over rated"! Hes just been pushed down our throats. But one thing i will give him, is his ring work, great performer as far as his in ring wrestling telling a story. But thats it. Now his nose? thats a different story....lol

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No way. As much as I like Triple H, he absolutely embodies "overrated."
I dont see how he's overrated really. Was there anybody else that could've taken his spot, especially during the Attitude Era?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Tripe H is what would happen if Linkin Park were a wrestler; every single criticism is valid, but overblown to the point some don't see what he does right.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
"Underrated" means to be assessed at a higher level of skill, talent, etc. than you actually possessed.

"Overpushed" means to be emphasized more strongly on a card than the speaker believes you warrant.

HHH has certainly been overpushed, for whatever reasons. The McMahons could hate him and if he had the same career, I'd still say he was overpushed.

Some people underrate him. He has not always been a limited, plodding shell of a brawler. There was a time when he was a fine heel. He has been in some great matches. If you claim that he's always sucked, then I'd say you're underrating him.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Triple H is a really entertaining wrestling and people don't give him enough credit for his wrestling ability. He's had some really great matches during his career.

As for him reaching his level of status in the WWE due to his marriage to the boss' daughter.....BULLSHIT!

WWE had their money invested in The Game way before he went with Stephanie.

Oh and if anyone wants to bring up his incredibly long title reign in 2003, well it was a damn entertaining and he was a much better package than Steiner, Goldberg and whoever the hell else RAW had to offer at the time.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I dont see how he's overrated really. Was there anybody else that could've taken his spot, especially during the Attitude Era?
No, there isn't. That isn't the question that should be asked though. It's "Was there anybody else that could have taken his spot during a third of his world title reigns?"

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Not so much underrated as overhated, People know he's good, but blame him for far too much.
Sounds about right. Also, he's been somewhat underrated as a "draw" by many fans for the simple reason that he has never quite reached the echelon of top-of-the-line draws like Austin and Rock and beneath them, Batista and Cena. Still, it's good to have a "King" going for a solid decade, plus, if not an "Ace," no pun intended.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Not so much underrated as overhated, People know he's good, but blame him for far too much.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. I think everyone knows he's really talented as he has a ton of great matches and feuds over the course of his career, but with HHH the out of the ring politics always seems to overshadow the in the ring stuff. So, I see what the OP is getting at, but I'm not sure the word I'd use is "underrated"

·
Ho!
18,034 Posts
Underrated by some, and overrated by some. I think he doesn't have any true weak points, but I don't think he's exceptional in any category, though his strongest skill is his work on the mic. I will also give him credit in his heel run in 2000 was the third best heel run of the decade by my count, although I despised his evolution work for just how boring he was at the time minus his feud with Batista, which was entertaining.

I actually think he's underrated as a face if anything. I enjoyed his run on Smackdown believe it or not in 2008, and him being champion didn't bother me, even if it was a pointless reign. I also enjoyed his feud with Jeff Hardy and some of the matches he had with him. Hell, I'll even go as far to say 2008 Triple H was my favorite Triple H period next to his 2000-2001 heel run. As a face he just seems more natural as a mic. I actually am convinced by his mic work more when he's cracking smartass jokes over being serious and angry and all about the world title.

That being said, over the last couple of years, I've honestly seen more pro-Triple H comments than negatives. The whole argument that he's underrated in my honest opinion was much more valid back in 2005 when he was hated on these forums for the marriage to Steph by literally everyone (I remember, I was one of the haters). The most hate I've seen for him in the last couple of years was when he wrongfully went over Orton at WM25.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No, there isn't. That isn't the question that should be asked though. It's "Was there anybody else that could have taken his spot during a third of his world title reigns?"
...like who? The only two people I can think of that should've beat Trips more than they did where Chris Jericho and Booker T. Who else was there that I'm not seeing?

My point is people say Trips shouldn't have done this or that, but really, who else was there to fill his role? He was the top heel for pretty much two decades alongside Vince McMahon and whoever decided to go heel for a couple of months. Who else was there?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts