Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, when did this start happening?

I'm pretty sure I can count on my hand the amount of times the past couple years when guys haven't been wearing their respective trunks & shit. I know Rock/Punk had a few promo's in regular clothes, just seems kind of stupid. I don't even mean wearing designer outfits or clothes, how hard is it to have guys wear their respective WWE shirt & a pair of jeans? It's really not a big deal & a pretty minor observance but it always makes me laugh. Like Orton was just sitting around all backstage with his trunks on for a contract signing. :lol

Must have something to do with WWE not wanting anything but their own products displayed on their TV shows, but I was just wondering if there was an actual reason that anybody has ever heard through podcasts or something like that?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
This drives me absolutely crazy. They look so damn stupid walking out in their trunks if they are not wrestling.

This is one if those common sense things they don't bother doing anymore. Having the wrestlers come out in street clothes helps create and expand their character. Gives them depth and individuality.

·
F*ck off I'm drinking
5,658 Posts
Re: Any real reason why nobody ever wears regular clothes when they aren't in a match

Especially when they just appear in a backstage segment and don't have a match later on (or had one before) its irritating, do they just arrive at the arena, put on their trunks, sit around until the show is over and change back? Doesn't make any sense, but oh well

·
Registered
734 Posts
Re: Any real reason why nobody ever wears regular clothes when they aren't in a match

It has always driven me crazy as well. I know sometimes they have dark matches at the end of the show that perhaps some of these guys are taking part in, but it takes further way from the realistic aspect to me.

·
Registered
880 Posts

This bugs me as well. Punk was usually the worst culprit, although he's been better about it lately. Back when he was a heel and managed by Heyman, it was a weekly occurrence for him to come out for a promo wearing a hooded sweatshirt zipped all the way up, but no fucking pants. Just his speedo-style wrestling trunks. And it drove me absolutely batshit crazy, even to the point where I would scream at the TV, "For fuck's sake, put some Goddamn pants on if you're not coming out to wrestle!" Probably a weird pet peeve to have, but it bugs me nonetheless.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,830 Posts

I used to love the hype when you literally saw a wrestler lacing up his boots, int he locker room, prior to a match.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I always see ryder in his trunks and there's just no way he in a match so whats he doing.
:lol

It makes me think that they must have to do it or something. Occasionally it would be OK, it could actually add to the whole "I'm ready to fight" moment if done right, but it looks hilarious at times.

·
OG3
3,387 Posts

Having the wrestlers come out in street clothes helps create and expand their character. Gives them depth and individuality.
so having a wrestler wear their own T-Shirt with Adidas pants gives them depth and individuality? think about what the guys used to wear to the ring- Austin- jean shorts. Mankind- sweatpants. Big Show, Rock, HHH- Adidas pants.

I totally agree with OP though. Get the wrestlers wearing Adidas pants to the ring again when they cut a promo. It makes them look cool. Perfect example- Orton/Cena promo on raw. Orton should be wearing pants. Nuff said.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,092 Posts

Not sure, but wrestlers wearing their own t-shirts is something that makes sense. When fans (especially younger ones) see their favorite wrestler wearing their own tshirt, it makes the younger fans want one even more because their favorite wrestler is wearing one. So, I agree with that. It's whats best for business for that particular wrestlers merch sales.

·
Follow The Buzzards
2,975 Posts

I agree, it does take away from the realistic aspect, it makes you wonder if guys like Orton just walk the streets in their trunks prior to the show. Jeans, suits and everyday street clothes need to come back because it does show you a different aspect of ones character. When wrestlers wear trunks especially and have a shirt on, it looks ridiculous because it just looks like they forgot their pants and when they don't have a match on the card or are just cutting a promo atleast wear normal clothes. It is one of my biggest complaints in WWE. Let them wear their own brand shirts, one of the reasons I love Sami Zayn is when he cuts a promo he dresses casual with a flatcap, I noticed he wore a Misfits shirt recently, it also shows what sort of music the Wrestlers are into. Give the Wrestlers a bit more character instead of coming out in generic trunks all the time.

·
Registered
734 Posts

Not to mention for Orton in the whole "being the face of the company" thing wouldn't it make more sense to see him in a suit whenever he's not getting into the ring? I realize that this isn't a 100% copy of the corporation angle, but still to me when a guy is aligned with the people running the company and talking himself up as the face of the company you would think that he wouldn't be walking around in his trunks and a tshirt all of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I always felt it added a little depth to the character, hell I'm not even gonna lie - as somebody who was just entering middle school at the time, I thought Austin had the most bad ass look with the whole jean short/knee brace thing. I thought that was bad ass for some reason. :lol

I can understand them having to wear their merch, but the pants thing is what I don't get - I can't believe Vince would be such a control freak that he wouldn't want any other logo except his WWE one on everything, hell look at Brock.

But if he is that much of a control freak, then WWE needs to start making some pants merch, some people would buy it.

You know, the ones who pay to take pictures with Sunny & stuff like that. (Y)

·
Registered
616 Posts

I think it's a legacy thing. For the last few years in kayfabe terms, any time you spoke to someone backstage or in the ring cutting a promo, there was a very high probability that Teddy Long was going to stick you in a tag-team match with whoever else was in the vicinity!

So yeah, I reckon it's just carried on from there!

·
Registered
18,833 Posts

It always does seem strange. Don't get how hard it is for people to just put on shirts and pants..it takes like 20-30 seconds.

It's one of those mini things which helps the presentation of the show.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts

:lol

It makes me think that they must have to do it or something. Occasionally it would be OK, it could actually add to the whole "I'm ready to fight" moment if done right, but it looks hilarious at times.
Yeah, I'm assuming that's it. Trunks and kneepads are their suit and tie - both kayfabe and irl maybe you're expected to look like you're ready to go to work at any time

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,711 Posts

Cuz they gotta sell DAT MERCH!!!

It can come off as being ridiculous, though.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that when Cena was "fired" during the Nexus angle in late 2010, he still wore the fucking shirts, jean shorts and even his KNEE PADS every week that he "randomly" showed up on Raw! :lmao

·
Registered
709 Posts

My favorite was when the Nexus first showed up on RAW. They invaded the arena and hopped over the barricade...with their wresting attire on. Where and why did they put on their gear?

Reactions: Kaze Ni Nare
1 - 20 of 57 Posts