Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again...

I'm going out tonight, but please, if you're a fan of the great author, Puzo, then please respond. I'll be back on tomorrow to talk more.

For now, let me say that I love:

The 4th K, The Sicilian, The Family, The Last Don. (Still not read Godfather8*D Crazy, I know)

·
22,784 Posts
I'm not a big reader, but I have most of Mario Puzo's books and read all that I have except for two (Fools Die, which I plan on starting soon, and The Family, which I'm not gonna bother with since my Dad read it first and said it was boring as hell lol).

The Godfather is his most famous book obviously, and its an amazing read for sure. The movie captures everything perfect, but even the near 3 hours of the first one and bits of the second one weren't enough time to get everything in lol, so reading the book is definitely a must.

The Sicilian is probably my favourite book from the guy (yep, I enjoyed it more than The Godfather), shame the movie they did for that is a pile of crap :lmao.

The Last Don is pretty excellent too, and I love the TV movie/mini series they made for it as well as the second one which is just a nice continuation.

Omerta is probably my least favourite, but still a great read, and its a shame that was never made into a movie or TV mini series or anything.

I'm probably forgetting a book here and there, but its been a couple of years since I read em lol.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Mario Puzo is THE boss. I love his work.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I guess the Family can be boring in spots, but I'm into 15th century Rome and stuff like that. The intrigue, politics and of course, a little siege warfare to top it off.

I really should read Godfather. My friend always reminds me of this fatal flaw whenever Puzo comes up in conversation. I agree that the films are extraordinary, but I can imagine that the book is even better so I'll get around to it.

I really enjoyed the Sicilian too. Salvatore was an amazing character. Don Croce too. Hector Adonis actually hooked me onto the book with his first scene. The film was terrible? Thank goodness I never watched it. I was still reeling after watching Last Don Movie/series which I hated, so I couldn't bare another movie based off Puzo's greats.

The Last Don was so interesting. He must have done a lot of research on Hollywood to get such a detailed culture in there, but then Puzo is known for his research. As I said, I didn't enjoy the movie at all, but the book was phenomenal.

I've heard a bit about Omerta, all good things. When I get around to it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I think I'll enjoy anything from Puzo. His writing style is so clear and simple, yet it takes nothing away from his storytelling prowess.

Gotta love the guy.

Anyway, glad to see fans on here. If you have anything to add, I'll read, and anyone else, please post with your thoughts.

·
22,784 Posts
I really enjoyed the Sicilian too. Salvatore was an amazing character. Don Croce too. Hector Adonis actually hooked me onto the book with his first scene. The film was terrible? Thank goodness I never watched it. I was still reeling after watching Last Don Movie/series which I hated, so I couldn't bare another movie based off Puzo's greats.
While The Godfather movie did a great job of not missing that much out (99% of anything important was in the movie)... The Sicilian missed out probably... 70% of the book. And the casting was horrible. Who did they get to play Salvatore? Christopher Lambert. I don't know what everyone else's opinions of the guy is, but he's probably one of the worst actors I've ever seen. And he's fucking terrible in this. I feel ripped off that I paid £3 for the DVD.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While The Godfather movie did a great job of not missing that much out (99% of anything important was in the movie)... The Sicilian missed out probably... 70% of the book. And the casting was horrible. Who did they get to play Salvatore? Christopher Lambert. I don't know what everyone else's opinions of the guy is, but he's probably one of the worst actors I've ever seen. And he's fucking terrible in this. I feel ripped off that I paid £3 for the DVD.
Hahaha, shit... that bad, huh? I definately won't ever be watching it now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts