Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
I want them to make a comeback, get a better tv-deal, try some new things.

I'm more fascinated with their history than the current product. They did great numbers in 2004 and 2005 in hte middle of the MMA-craze in Japan.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It used to be my favorite promotion. Kobashi's title run was incredible, and arguably it hosted the best years of Akiyama's career. But for various reasons they just refused to get behind the new generation of stars for way too long. Morishima, Marufuji, Sugiura, and KENTA were ready way earlier but kept getting held off in favor of guys who were over the hill. Resultantly, it's hard for me to watch even now and see Marufuji and Nakajima as the legit top guys, as good as they are in the ring.

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
Nah, my hope is more for AJPW or BJPW to make a run. Heck, even DDT to make that next step. Three promotions that work for me more stylistically across the board. NOAH tends to feel like I'm watching the minors.
You know Dragon gate drew almost 10 000 for their Kobe festival last year and Noah destiny (december 2015) drew over 3000. I'm sure AJPW or BJPW can't come close those numbers. Not sure about DDT.

My impression is that if there's any hope for a second vibrant promotion in Japan it's Noah or Dragon gate.

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts
You know Dragon gate drew almost 10 000 for their Kobe festival last year and Noah destiny (december 2015) drew over 3000. I'm sure AJPW or BJPW can't come close those numbers. Not sure about DDT.

My impression is that if there's any hope for a second vibrant promotion in Japan it's Noah or Dragon gate.
I think the Dragon Gate things misses that I don't like Dragon Gate.

NOAH in its current form is not exactly running the most efficient model.

DDT ran the Tokyo Dome this year sooooo...

EDIT: I asked out of spite for some attendance things and BJW Ryogokutan 2016 - 3,293. AJPW Sumo Hall - 6,522

·
The Man Comes Around
8,486 Posts
Company never recorved from Misawa death and Kobashi cancer and retirement. They never really had a new "draw" after them.

I watched a bit during the Suzuki-Gun invasion angle and it was interesting initially but turned into shit after less than one year.

It's very sad... that's the same company who used to sold out the Tokyo Dome 10 years ago

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
It used to be my favorite promotion. Kobashi's title run was incredible, and arguably it hosted the best years of Akiyama's career. But for various reasons they just refused to get behind the new generation of stars for way too long. Morishima, Marufuji, Sugiura, and KENTA were ready way earlier but kept getting held off in favor of guys who were over the hill. Resultantly, it's hard for me to watch even now and see Marufuji and Nakajima as the legit top guys, as good as they are in the ring.
This seems to be a thing for a lot of promotions it seems like.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I don't think that anyone forgets that, but people are afraid that fans won't accept new faces that easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts