Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know how people manage their time during college. Class schedule, work, leisure time. Along with leisure time, what fun things are there to do in your college town? I'm at a community college now, but will transfer to a four-year my junior year.

Last semester, I screwed up by enrolling in an 11 am, 12 pm and a 1 pm class, the 1 pm spanish class not ending until 3:30 three days a week. I was too lazy to wake up early on most days my freshman year and was living with the folks. I had a job with the school newspaper.

Now I am over the lazyness, wake up early for 8 am classes, keep a one hour gap before spanish since it's my least favorite and I can study prior to a test/quiz/presentation/big assignment that is due. Four classes this semester and I get out at 1 pm. I'm currently seeking a job, but I feel I can manage one with a balanced schedule with school in the morning/early afternoon.

I was curious to know how you guys handle the college life (or how you did, for those who are done.)

·
DreamWeapon
15,249 Posts
I got hard, it's just how I am built and designed.

I usually have 12 hour days when I am in university (usually 9am in the morning to 9 or 10pm). IT really depends on your degree, I'm doing my honors in chemistry so I have no choice but to grind hard.

·
lyfe
8,846 Posts

I usually have 12 hour days when I am in university (usually 9am in the morning to 9 or 10pm). IT really depends on your degree, I'm doing my honors in chemistry so I have no choice but to grind hard.
Oh damn, I feel bad for you. I want to go to university after high school, but I hope it's not as tough as you have it.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
I'm about to start in Community College as well,all i have to say about my schedule is that i have classes 3 days a week. Don't know what i'm taking,but my major is going to be Game Design(when i get my basics),so one of the classes i have to take is math. Haven't settled on a minor yet,so i don't know my other classes right now.

·
Administrator
59,004 Posts
By junior year more of my classes were online so it made it much easier for my studying habits. I didn't work (worked in the summer) or had much of a social life at school so it wasn't that hard to balance time. It was more of a 'just do it' thing.

·
DreamWeapon
15,249 Posts
Oh damn, I feel bad for you. I want to go to university after high school, but I hope it's not as tough as you have it.
Better to come out a champion, rather than get a degree you will regret in a few years time.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I'm still in college (Junior), and I'm still trying to find a good rhythm. The whirlwind caused by my REALLY late work schedule and my social life nearly ended my academic career.

But I think I've learned more from my near-failure than I would have if I kept on going like I was. I'm no longer aiming for Bs and cruising by. I aim for the best.

You can have a social life and all that, but put your work first, no matter how much it hinders everything else. And no matter how tired you are (that's why you do it earlier).

·
Yee
1,850 Posts

Props to you someone is actually doing Science. I'm in grade 12 next year hopefully get into Uni for Life Science. My schedule is gonna be pretty hard this year the courses I took for this year: Bio, Physics, Chem, Advanced Functions, Calculus, Computer Engineering(Just for Fun I enjoy it lol), and English -_-.

·
DreamWeapon
15,249 Posts
Props to you someone is actually doing Science. I'm in grade 12 next year hopefully get into Uni for Life Science. My schedule is gonna be pretty hard this year the courses I took for this year: Bio, Physics, Chem, Advanced Functions, Calculus, Computer Engineering(Just for Fun I enjoy it lol), and English -_-.
7 Courses in one semester? r u a wizard?

·
Registered
277 Posts
i'm in college full time and work part time. last year i tried working full time and school full time but got completly burnt out. i major in archaeology with a minor in english

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
My advice would be to not spread yourself too thin in the first year or two. Take 12-14 credits the first few semesters to get yourself acclimated with college life and then turn up the heat as necessary. I'm entering my senior year of college and have increased the difficulty according the last few semesters. Just don't try to cram everything into 4 years because that's tough to do nowadays if you want to work and have a social life on the side.

·
Yee
1,850 Posts
7 Courses in one semester? r u a wizard?
LOL I knew someone was gonna mis-read :p I said this year not one semester lmfao.

I'm gonna have one semester with 4 courses the other with 3 LOL but still enough hell for me cuz I'm in a school with the hardest science program in the Region :(.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Wasn't too bad for me. Had 3 1 to 2 hour classes a day usually (rarely had more than 4 hours of classes a day though), and worked 2-4 hours a day. Job was easy as hell though; being a lab monitor which only required me to sit down and do almost nothing so I pretty much got paid to use the computer or do my homework. There was pretty much plenty of free time.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,343 Posts
Starting my second year at a community college on Monday. I also just started working at Staples so I went from doing nothing to having 40+ hours of school and work. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as last year where I found myself working pretty much full time during finals. Working to 11PM and coming home to work on a research paper is tough but you just do what needs to get done.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'm about to start my third year of University toward a BSc in Biology. It may sound lame but during my first month I decided to create a schedule and routine for myself and stick to it no matter what. I also rarely party and only really socialize with my roomate and a close circle of friends from similar classes. I save partying/friends/working/etc for the summer when I return home.

Only 2 more years though... then four years of medical school... then four years of residency... and I'll be on easy street.

·
Yee
1,850 Posts
Zombiekid what's a good Uni for Life Science seeing as your in Ontario? Just that's not that hard for getting into med school?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
^^Depends on your definition of good. If you're looking for a strong Science Department where you will learn alot and look better on your Med school application; Western, Guelph, McMaster, and Toronto are your best bets. If you're for a school that might not be quite as strong but will guarantee a higher mark for Med school; Trent, Brock, Laurier, and Waterloo.

Not sure which schools have your specific program, but I visited each and all had decent Science departments. In Ontario since most Universities are public funded, the quality of education is pretty much the same wherever you go, and Med schools don't really factor in what school you got your degree so much your marks and MCAT scores. The best thing to do is visit the schools that interest you and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Hope I helped and good luck.

·
Yee
1,850 Posts
^^Depends on your definition of good. If you're looking for a strong Science Department where you will learn alot and look better on your Med school application; Western, Guelph, McMaster, and Toronto are your best bets. If you're for a school that might not be quite as strong but will guarantee a higher mark for Med school; Trent, Brock, Laurier, and Waterloo.

Not sure which schools have your specific program, but I visited each and all had decent Science departments. In Ontario since most Universities are public funded, the quality of education is pretty much the same wherever you go, and Med schools don't really factor in what school you got your degree so much your marks and MCAT scores. The best thing to do is visit the schools that interest you and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Hope I helped and good luck.
Thanks for some advice I've heard the same you said what about York ? For getting High marks for med?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts