Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 254 Posts

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
kimetsu no yaiba got me to feel sad that I need to wait another week for the chapter, is getting pretty good.
Really falling in love with the show. It doesn't necessarily do anything all that original but it just does everything at such a high level of quality that it is enjoyable all the same. The pacing has been really well tuned so far, too. Moving at just the right pace to give things resonance.

It was actually because I was rewatching My Hero Academia alongside this that I started to really notice My Hero's pacing problems in the first season. We spend a lot of time getting to the actual school and then before school life has even settled in suddenly we're having this huge super villain blowout and I get that they make it part of the story but I just compare it to how well Demon Slayer flows and how satisfying every episode manages to feel in isolation while still being a part of a wider show around it, that it actually made me like that first season of My Hero a lot less than I have in the past.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Major is my 3rd favorite sports series behind Hajime no Ippo and Cross Game. I love how the story spans multiple decades.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,103 Posts
Downloaded the first chapter of Samurai 8 Hachimaru Den, but it is +60 pages so I am going to check it out tomorrow. Reviews in general seem positive.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Wow I think if I hadn't read ahead I would have screamed at my computer at the cliffhanger today's episode of Attack on Titan left off on!!! Another great episode

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Well I watched season 1 of One Punch Man. Its alright.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Well I watched season 1 of One Punch Man. Its alright.
Just alright?!

In terms of my watching:

Another amazing episode of Demon Slayer this week, kinda weird he has bumped into the big bad already but I'll wait and see how this plays out. I think the show has earned my trust up until this point.

OPM 2 remains complete garbage and I've decided to drop Karakuri Circus and Planet With for now so I can focus on a rotation of three shows.

One show is Mob Psycho 100 which is growing into one of my favourite shows ever, I really hope season two doesn't shit the bed as hard as OPM did.

The other is My Hero Academia which is having a much stronger second season than it did the first, I am really enjoying this Sports Festival stuff.

I continue to try and push my way through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Season 2 is still terrible but it isn't Phantom Blood terrible, so at least there is that? Nazis being portrayed as good guys and being censored to "The German Army" rubs me all kinds of the wrong way but I do find the show's homoerotic glory really fun even if it isn't probably supposed to be intended as a source of amusement from me. The action is really boring though, just loops of nonsensical asspulls until eventually someone wins. Usually captured with stiff, static, animation and oddly framed and blocked camera angles which I guess they use to hide how little animation there is.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Just alright?!
Well maybe its was the overhyping it gets, but I wasn't blown away. It had good comedy, certainly above what American animation does, but I wasn't blown away. The fight with Boros was pretty good though.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Well maybe its was the overhyping it gets, but I wasn't blown away. It had good comedy, certainly above what American animation does, but I wasn't blown away. The fight with Boros was pretty good though.
Yeah I dunno if I'd tell anyone to be prepared to be blown away by One Punch Man, it is just a great show.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Yeah I dunno if I'd tell anyone to be prepared to be blown away by One Punch Man, it is just a great show.
Yeah, I mean I didn't hate it. But that stuff was all over when it first came out. It was like the DBZ hype in the 90s. It was a good show. Right now I'm doing season 2 of Highschool DXD and might go on to Assassination Classroom

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Yeah, I mean I didn't hate it. But that stuff was all over when it first came out. It was like the DBZ hype in the 90s. It was a good show. Right now I'm doing season 2 of Highschool DXD and might go on to Assassination Classroom
Yeah I don't really know why that broke out in the way it did, I can only assume that shows like My Hero and One Punch Man breaking out to a relatively mainstream crowd in the US and stuff is because it is inspired by American comicbooks with its superheroes and monsters and stuff. It makes it a much easier sell I suppose than something set in say feudal Japan with a bunch of monsters rooted in Japanese folklore.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Yeah I don't really know why that broke out in the way it did, I can only assume that shows like My Hero and One Punch Man breaking out to a relatively mainstream crowd in the US and stuff is because it is inspired by American comicbooks with its superheroes and monsters and stuff. It makes it a much easier sell I suppose than something set in say feudal Japan with a bunch of monsters rooted in Japanese folklore.
Well to fair, the anime scene before OPM and My Hero Academia wasn't exactly the greatest, so these shows coming out was a breath of fresh air

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
OPM and MHA came out in 2015 and 2016 respectively. In my opinion, 2014 was a stronger year than either of the following in terms of quality so their success was not because everything else was lackluster.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
I cant really comment, I have only really recently got back into anime after only really dipping my toes in now and then over probably the last decade. I just figured it was no coincidence that two of the least uniquely Japanese shows were the two that broke out.

·
8,000 Posts
Man this season of attack on titan is already great and is just going to get better. All the performances/music/animation so far have been so on point which just gets me more hype

101 - 120 of 254 Posts