Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What angles can you think of that never really ended in a decisive match on PPV (but perhaps were in progress - or not - on a previous one)? Here are some I can think of:

- Rick Martel / Tito Santana (started at WM5, and opposed at Summer Slam 89 on opposite ends of a 6 man but never really finished at a PPV)
- Ultimate Warrior / Papa Shango
- Ultimate Warrior / Undertaker
- Ric Flair / Hulk Hogan
- Jeff Jarrett / Doink the Clown

As you can probably tell, this was much more common in the pre Monday Night Wars era when PPVs were not every month.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The intensity of the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage feud between 1991 and 1992 really should have been finished on a PPV. I can remember finding out the WWE's past storylines over the 5 years prior to 1993 when I first became a fan and always thought: "Daamn, that should have been at Wrestlemania 8, not that winning the WWF title is a bad deal." More feuds will probably come to me later.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The intensity of the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage feud between 1991 and 1992 really should have been finished on a PPV. I can remember finding out the WWE's past storylines over the 5 years prior to 1993 when I first became a fan and always thought: "Daamn, that should have been at Wrestlemania 8, not that winning the WWF title is a bad deal." More feuds will probably come to me later.
I agree. That got settled in an almost throwaway match at Saturday Night's Main Event in February 1992.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
The first 2 that spring to mind are;
Jake Roberts/Macho Man
Ric Flair/Curt Hennig

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I kind of get the feeling that many of the angles in WWE right now are either started and forgotten or just end in a normal match on free tv. case in point: Swagger loses a title match against Rey Mysterio, then Kane starts the feud with Mysterio. I get the feeling that Punk vs Show is going to end on Smackdown (if they don't just drop it right now) instead of a huge ppv match.

·
Sax Legend of Sax Legend on YouTube
1,254 Posts
Whether it was a decisive finish or not, Randy Orton vs Triple H at WM25 was terrible. I don't know how it looked on tv, but I was there and in person it looked like complete shit.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty never really resolved on PPV. Yeah they had a match over a year after the Rockers breakup at the 1993 Royal Rumble. But Jannetty did win the title as Michaels began feuding with Mr. Perfect months later for a short stretch. So I never really got the impression of a proper wrap up to the former Rockers feuding. Then again, Jannetty never stabilized long enough personally to even have a decent mid card career.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whether it was a decisive finish or not, Randy Orton vs Triple H at WM25 was terrible. I don't know how it looked on tv, but I was there and in person it looked like complete shit.
They worked a program in the months that followed, which Randy Orton kept winning by hook or by crook. That transitioned into him bringing back Michaels to feud with Rhodes and Dibiase.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Most recent program edge vs orton it was a feud thrown together fairly quickly and their 1 ppv match ended in dq, orton got injured but the feud never really resumed and orton went onto to face sheamus.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty never really resolved on PPV. Yeah they had a match over a year after the Rockers breakup at the 1993 Royal Rumble. But Jannetty did win the title as Michaels began feuding with Mr. Perfect months later for a short stretch. So I never really got the impression of a proper wrap up to the former Rockers feuding. Then again, Jannetty never stabilized long enough personally to even have a decent mid card career.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Absolutely.

I'm guessing this was because Jannetty kept getting fired/suspended (or simply taken off TV) for various moments of unprofessional conduct which is a huge shame. Did you know he got fired in February 1994 on a European tour because he drove the bus full of wrestlers away while the driver had gotten out.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
Edge vs. Orton in 2007. They started feuding and then Mr. Kennedy gets injured so Edge goes to SmackDown and wins 7 world titles in 2 years and the feud was never resolved.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Cena/Christian. Christian should've gotten Jericho's spot in the main event at SummerSlam '05. The lack of resolution to that feud was inexcusable.
This. The wwe fucked Christian over here. The story was about Cena and Christian but for some reason they added Jericho to the match at Vengeance, at the time i though it was just so they could have their first singles match at Summerslam and Jericho was just added to the match as a filler. No idea why they made it Jericho/Cena at summerslam.

·
Sax Legend of Sax Legend on YouTube
1,254 Posts
They worked a program in the months that followed, which Randy Orton kept winning by hook or by crook. That transitioned into him bringing back Michaels to feud with Rhodes and Dibiase.
Oh I don't remember it continuing past backlash

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Edge vs. Orton in 2007. They started feuding and then Mr. Kennedy gets injured so Edge goes to SmackDown and wins 7 world titles in 2 years and the feud was never resolved.
Oh yeah, Kennedy was supposed to cash in MITB and then feud with Batista (and drop the title to him in the Fall) before that doctor misdiagnosis screwed Kennedy.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bret vs. Bulldog at Summer Slam 1992 was originally supposed to be a traditional midcard match where Bret would retain the belt (they weren't scheduled to be the final match until a late change). Bret Hart was supposed to drop the IC title to Shawn Michaels in the Fall of 1992.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahmed Johnson/Faarooq
That was kind of ended at IYH Cold Day in Hell when Ahmed failed in a gauntlet match. But I agree it didn't feel like closure and was a huge anticlimax after the hot feud that started almost a year earlier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts