Wrestling Forum banner

Analyzing Wade Barrett ...

1725 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  TheResurrection
So I have really enjoyed the Stardust and Ascension threads. I though I would like to discuss Wade Barrett now. When he came into WWE with the Nexus I really enjoyed his work. Then the Nexus got Super Cena'd. He then was injured. Came back as BAD NEWS Barrett. I loved his Bad News gimmick. I would ROFL when he said "I'm afraid I've got some bad news !!" The lift podium was fucking epic. He then got injured again. Came back with a limited version of his Bad News Gimmic and won the King of the ring. I honestly think winning that stupid King of the Ring was the worst thing that could have happened to the guy. King Barrett is boring and honestly pointless. Then he joins the League of Nations where he doesn't even wrestle. I assume its because he is injured again. The League then get Super Reignsed as they went from Cena to Reigns. So my though is can they fix him? Would you be open to him going back to his Bad News persona? If you were WWE and you wanted to make him sombody what would you do?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· TEAM KICK!
11,134 Posts
I'd like him to go back to Wade Barrett, Bad News and King Barrett just scream jobber/midcard gimmicks to me, the latter especially, at least BNB could provide some great moments of comedy and heelishness now and then, King Barrett offers nothing, he's only in the LON to make up the numbers seemingly, he doesn't get tagged in in tag matches, he doesn't even get to speak on the mic, despite being a great all round talent who can pull it off in the ring and on the stick.

He was totally screwed over in the Nexus angle, because IMO he deserved to be WWE champ at that point, but Cena's Cena-ness wrecked his chances of getting anywhere, he's been up and down ever since then, but recently it's been mostly down.

I hope he's not dead and buried, because IMO he could make a great upper midcarder, he can turn on the intensity when he has to, and he can play a great character, but he's not getting anywhere while he's stuck under the King Barrett name and in the League of Nations stable.

· Registered
5,314 Posts
I know I'm likely in the minority, but I never really cared for the "Bad News" gimmick. It was funny, but it just didn't seem to me that funny was a good fit for the guy that led Nexus and threw Orton down a flight of stairs...

Barrett is one of those where "what could have been" really applies. Injuries and bad booking have really hurt him.

So what would I do, assuming he can stay healthy? He's around 6' 6"ish he's a big dude. He has a bare knuckles boxing background and is one of the legit tough guys in the WWE today.

Personally, I'd capitalize on that. His bad news would be that he is going climb in the ring and knock someone out. Basically I'd have him go back to the viciousness he had when he first started..

· Registered
2,186 Posts
He's gonna have to snap or something to actually capitalize on his assets. He's been buried right on down the card, and suddenly having him beat the shit out of people won't work well with crowds. He's gotta snap and go back to his roots or some gimmick like that.

· Registered
190 Posts
Barrett makes me sad. It's like every time he gets a bit of steam going, something happens and he has to start all over.

I think his constant injuries have made him lose value in Mcmahon's eyes. They still keep him somewhat relevant, but he jobs a lot. Hell even when he won King of the Ring, he was getting his ass kicked by R-Truth of all people :no:

As for fixing him....Biggest thing for him would be to stop getting fucking injured lol poor guy. Then maybe put on a little more mass, I'm not digging his lean look. They should put a bit more focus on his bare knuckle fighting background, it doesn't have to be the main focus of his gimmick but it will give him a aura of toughness. Even with all that, I don't see him getting past upper midcard at this point. But who knows.

· The B Team
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a massive fan of Barrett I think its come to the point where he should just leave. There's no redeeming his career at this point :(
That seems a bit harsh. I believe there is always a way of fixing someone within reason. All he needs is a solid push and a slight change in gimmick.

· Banned
6,751 Posts
As a massive fan of Barrett I think its come to the point where he should just leave. There's no redeeming his career at this point :(
This is where I disagree. With wrestling anyone can be transformed and made to work as a success. That doesn't mean it works, but in Wade's case I think it does. I say this because when he first came into the WWE via the main roster before he was associated to The Nexus (which ruined just as much as it helped him) Wade Barrett was a breath of fresh air. His dress coat, rose, and gold chain were a great way to establish who he was, or was to become. Then something happened. Folks backstage realized he was clearly the best "young talent" and young heel that they had. They put him in a stable and it ultimately failed. They grouped a bunch of hack talent together with the leader being the best out of the developmental talent paired with him. It was no shock to see them buried by Cena.

I think the what the WWE still have in Wade Barrett is something that they can't ever take away. His ability to play the heel he was destined to play. Barrett is a "Villain". Does his accent really push me to that point? Yes. I go back to 2010 and think to myself that his delivery with his mic work is uncanny even today by most of the roster, heel, or face. His work on the mic doesn't stand out because he has no clear objectives, or role. A man who once stood at the front of men, now clearly stands in the back. This is a King, who now plays the role of a servant in a League of Nations? That's what it appears to me at least. I don't think a face turn would ever work for this man because he is a such a natural heel. He has to leave The League of Nations.

My main problem outside of his booking is simply his overall delivery of his character and his lack of creativity in creating a lasting image. When I think of mid to upper card greats like Razor Ramon, or Rick Rude I have lasting images. Gold, slicked hair, and oozing machismo for Ramon. With Rude I see ladies, hip shaking, and I hear great promos that stick with his character. They aren't over the top gimmicks like The Repo Man, or Duke The Dumpster Droese. Wade has nothing that really tells me who he is other than a flag of Great Britain on his tights. That's it. His music and entrance are easily forgettable. Look at what Balor did the last time he wrestled in London. He went with the Jack The Ripper look. It was amazingly creative. Wade lacks this type of creativity.

Here is some help Wade Barrett. First and foremost get the hell away from Sheamus because you two men should be mortal enemies. This means leave The League of Nations and in fact break it up. Forget about the fact that you won the KOTR and in fact start acting like it mattered. We know you won (I think), but you haven't shown the wrestling world that KOTR was a stepping stone to the top of the WWE. Who cares if past stars like Sheamus haven't proven that? The past is the past and it's only about what you have done for the fans lately. Which is next to nothing besides standing behind Del Rio and Sheamus while standing next to Rusev.

Entrance Music

When you arrive to the ring people should know. Where is the big entrance for the King? Why aren't you coming out to a song that fans can hate, or know that they are supposed to hate. You come out to music that fans might actually like. The "heel" isn't supposed to relate to the fans. In fact it's the exact opposite. Your music should be English Classical. It's a huge reason Damien Sandow was such a great heel. His entrance music was the perfect choice of music for fans to hate. No one is supposed to like classical music, or at least not the fans. Flair is one of the most hated heels of all time and the same can be said for Macho Man Randy Savage and both men came out to classical music. Pick something that fans will know.

I can see it now. His celebration should be huge. Children coming out to place various pedals of various flowers, only to be shoved to the ground in passing by Wade Barrett. Yes, Barrett shoving two children to the ground as they have just finished honoring him. It's okay because they are part of his "Royal Family". Have him wear the frown of disgust and smirk like only the English can. His entrance should be full of privilege and the ground he walks on should be worshiped by the people that accompany him to the ring.

The Look

As for the look. Wade try working on something that makes people unable to forget who you are, or at least new fans identify you by "something"? Right now all you are is a guy in Great Britain tights. Have you ever heard of Nigel McGuinness? Take his old hair style. Blonde spike "Crown" on top and shaved, but brown sides faded into the sides. It's an unforgettable look, unlike what you have now. The blonde spike represents the King's crown and you can wear it permanently and throw away the crown you've carried. Per the tights I think it should be clear that you should be given attire by Lord William Regal. The old maroon, red, boots, and attire handed down from Regal to Barrett could be a moment for his character. Maybe even wear a "British Punk" style leather jacket to the ring. Make it part of your look.

Finally, I think Wade Barrett should ultimately take himself off of television for yet another repackage, but his final one. There is nothing wrong with reinventing yourself, but there is no point if you are not going to do it the right way. Use what works and go back to what made you a hit. Combine all of that with something we haven't seen prior. There is only one Wade Barrett, prove it. Become something we are familiar to, but haven't seen yet. I think a personal servant who pauses your matches with a glass of team would be a nice heel thing to do. Consider being the Dirtiest Player in the Game again. It worked last time.

· The Last Dragon
15,299 Posts
Too injury prone combined with WWE not capitalising on his BNB gimmick. He could be a great tweener in the upper midcard .

· Banned
6,751 Posts
I think Bad News is a good nickname for him, a bare knuckle boxer, and in name only just let him beat people up for the League.
Bad News has already been used. Bad News Brown. I would prefer Brass Knuckle Barrett. Give him Regal's old brass knuckles. Create tradition for crying out loud.

· The face that runs the List
14,000 Posts
Barrett makes me sad. It's like every time he gets a bit of steam going, something happens and he has to start all over.

I think his constant injuries have made him lose value in Mcmahon's eyes. They still keep him somewhat relevant, but he jobs a lot. Hell even when he won King of the Ring, he was getting his ass kicked by R-Truth of all people :no:

As for fixing him....Biggest thing for him would be to stop getting fucking injured lol poor guy. Then maybe put on a little more mass, I'm not digging his lean look. They should put a bit more focus on his bare knuckle fighting background, it doesn't have to be the main focus of his gimmick but it will give him a aura of toughness. Even with all that, I don't see him getting past upper midcard at this point. But who knows.

I totally second this. If you want to push him, make his Bull Hammer look as dangerous as Big Show's KO Punch. Have him knock people out every week. I don't mind people losing but they never gave Barrett a decent run, he always wins the Intercontinental title (or the KOTR crown) only to start a losing streak a few weeks later.

· Banned
3,116 Posts
He has two massive, insurmountable hindrances. The first and biggest is that he's not from North America, the second is that he has had a lot of injuries. Apart from that he's got the lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.