Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just re-watching Judgement Day 2001 when i spotted Jericho looking at the ref and saying something along the lines of "ready buddy?" before a ref-bump spot. I always love noticing guys talk to each other in the ring, hearing someone say "reverse" during an irish whip, etc.

So reading the regal vs goldust matches thread, I was thinking about an idea that would never happen! Wouldn't it be great to mic up the ring in a way that you could broadcast the wrestlers talking themselves through a match? Obviously not as the main broadcast, but as an option for a podcast or something. No commentary, during an actual match, at an actual event, with an actual crowd. I think it would be fascinating for the whole event, but it could even be used with just experienced workers, as a way of highlighting how good they are at working a match off-the-cuff. Let's say on the upcoming Jericho DVD: "OK, you like Jericho, he's good in the ring right? Now watch him carry wrestler X to a great match at Y event in 2000..."

Obviously it's not likely to happen, but I'm wondering if this is something that others would like to see, or if this is more a "finding out how the sausage is made", TMI, kind of thing for people?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'd be pretty interested to see it, but it obviously wouldn't be done by any serious organisation or by any wrestler who wanted to continue with their career

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
It's the kinda thing they did on that 'secrets of wrestling' show that Harley Race did.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I personally think it would be a great idea but obviously wouldn't go over well.

I do love the fact you talked about sausage in your post as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think I remember that secrets show. The problem being it was billed as "revealing the secrets" but everyone knows (or at least the audience for this sort of thing) what goes on, it's not like telling people how a magician does his tricks.

I watched a Kurt Angle interview about his Wrestlemania match with Brock, saying how they'd cut the match by 9 minutes or so, and Brock was nervous and kept asking him to skip spots. Kurt was explaining how he had to keep telling him to stay calm, and not to rush as he knew they had some run-over time to go in to. I find that stuff fascinating, and if people as well-respected and as good as Kurt are willing to talk about such things after the match, maybe they'd be willing to let them be heard during.

Again, obviously not as part of any official broadcast, but the WWE has mics picking up all that's heard in the ring, it'd just be the case of mixing it differently so they can be heard. The wrestlers themselves won't have to do anything different, just sign off on it.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
As an extra on a DVD would be quite good. I like the idea of making the ring talk available. I'd like to have heard the ring talk for the Iron Man match between Bret and HBK.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
As an extra on a DVD would be quite good. I like the idea of making the ring talk available. I'd like to have heard the ring talk for the Iron Man match between Bret and HBK.
It would have probably been something like -

Shawn: Lulz j00 sleapts wit Sunneh¬!!1one

Bret: L-O-L you p0sed in teh geh magz!!1one/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts