Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so where I am right now, it's 7:45 am, I'm eating scrambled egg and I've just put the Survivor Series 91 DVD on, so thought I might as well go through this one here for some discussion also, as it's a pretty solid PPV I feel.

So it's brought to us from The Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan ... and starts off showing us that awesome scene where Jake Roberts gets his snake to chew on Randy Savages arm, that happened just before the PPV, followed by an announcement from Jack Tunney talking about how Randy Savage isn't able to compete, and how reptiles are banned from ringside (however both Savage and Jake do appear to cut some promo's later in the show) ... Randy Savage is reinstated within the WWE, with a match announced at This Tuesday In Texas, leaving Savage and Jake to not compete at the event, meaning that Legion Of Doom and The Big Boss Man face off against The Natural Disasters and IRS.

Match Card

Ric Flair, The Mountie, Ted Dibiase & The Warlord Vs Roddy Piper, Bret Hart, Virgil and The British Bulldog

With Flair (accompanied by My Perfect) and Piper being the team captains, this match is absolute jam packed with top top talent, it seems that back then WWE always had GREAT GREAT opening matches, and this one if of no exception ... you've got the tension between Dibiase and Virgil in there, after Dibiase had got back his Million Dollar Belt from Virgil, The Warlord and Davey Boy also, Piper/Mountie/Flair, it's a great great set up ... the match is constantly fast flowing too, the crowd pop big for Piper also here, while Roddy kicks off the match against Dibiase, and a sly dig from Flair, the match starts pretty action packed, with lots of quick tags on the face team, working on Dibiase's arm, the team work looks great between these guys, Sensational Sherri is also at ringside to accompany Dibiase and gets some involvement (and a kiss from Piper) during the match up, the crowd pop BIG when Virgil gets in the ring with Dibiase, as well as when Davey Boy gets in with The Warlord, it's a great great match and such a good start to an event, the crowd are electric throughout, the finish is unique also.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Sgt Slaughter, Texas Tornado and Tito Santana Vs Col. Mustafa, The Berzerker, Skinner and Hercules

The match starts off with Tito and Skinner (who I thought was a GREAT character), they lock up and Tito performs fantastically well (as always), with lots of speed, great holds and agility throughout the match, it's obviously a very patriotic type match with Hacksaw and Slaughter being on the same team (as Slaughter had now turned face by this point) and of course Mustafa (aka Iron Sheik) on the opposing team with his dangerous looking boots on, it's a nice little match that added a great addition to the PPV.

Undertaker Vs Hulk Hogan

This match came along due to an interview Hogan did on The Funeral Parlour with Paul Bearer, only to be interfered by Flair and a beat down from The Undertaker, who came out of the casket, the match is an ok match, but I found it quite slow paced a little, resulting in Hogan being Tombstoned onto a chair, with help of Flair's interference, so the result was great really, as everyone expected Hogan to get the win on this on here.

Nasty Boys and Beverly Brothers Vs The Rockers and The Bushwackers

This was the match that started The Rockers break up, leading up to the famous Barbershop window incident, due to Marty accidentally knocking Shawn with one of the Nasty Boys, resulting in Shawn being eliminated, The Genius and Jimmy Hart are at ringside accompanying The Beverly Brothers (respectively), a pretty action packed match, which I feel The Rockers and The Beverly Brothers both put on great performances, Marty is left at the end against The Nasty Boys and Blake from The Beverly Brothers, which the heels get the victory on this one, great little match.

Legion Of Doom and Big Boss Man Vs Natural Disasters and IRS

So IRS gives his regular speech at the beginning of the match, as he would, while the Boss Man and LOD both come in to great pops, LOD look amazing and all the guys in this match perform well, it's actually a pretty fast paced match too, so the action is constant within, Boss Man and IRS start the match with a few lock up's and quick fast maneuvers, leading into Animal squaring up against Earthquake in regards to the whole strength part of the teams, I was actually surprised this match was the main event, and not the Hogan/Undertaker match (which I have no complaints about there!), turned out to be a pretty decent and pretty good fast paced match, with the final result going to The Legion Of Doom at the end.

So yeah, give me your thoughts in regards to this PPV, for me personally I thought this was a pretty decent PPV on a whole, however some questions for you to consider :

1. How would you rank this PPV over all?

2. Favourite match from the PPV?

3. Most memorable moment from the PPV?

Thoughts and enjoy :)

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Re: An in depth discussion about The Survivor Series 91

I guess they wanted the PPV to end with babyfaces going over but still that's an extremely odd choice IMO. 'Taker going over Hogan in the main event would have put 'Taker just that little bit more over.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

I will have to back and watch it to remember the matches, but I actually remember not being too shocked when Hogan lost. This was the first period that I was ever anti-Hogan. No one got my fanfare over Flair by this time. I was still a Hogan fan though I was rooting for Warrior at WM6, but when Flair showed up it all changed. WWE did such an awesome job booking Taker at this time that it was believable that he could get a victory of Hogan with some help.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I guess they wanted the PPV to end with babyfaces going over but still that's an extremely odd choice IMO. 'Taker going over Hogan in the main event would have put 'Taker just that little bit more over.
Yeah, well Taker did win the match, though with the help of Flair of course and the chair, however they then went on to have a rematch at This Tuesday In Texas also did Hogan and Taker, alongside the Jake Roberts Vs Randy Savage situation.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I will have to back and watch it to remember the matches, but I actually remember not being too shocked when Hogan lost. This was the first period that I was ever anti-Hogan. No one got my fanfare over Flair by this time. I was still a Hogan fan though I was rooting for Warrior at WM6, but when Flair showed up it all changed. WWE did such an awesome job booking Taker at this time that it was believable that he could get a victory of Hogan with some help.
Yeah, I think my favourite match from this PPV was the opening match up, but it did seem shocking that Hogan lost here, as everyone expected Hogan to get the win over this, specially seen as what had happened previously when Hogan got the beat down on The Funeral Parlor, you kinda expected him to get his revenge at The Survivor Series.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Loved Jakes promo

''You know you're trying to cast me as the original sinner. Well i spoke to God this morning, and he said he didn't like you''

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loved Jakes promo

''You know you're trying to cast me as the original sinner. Well i spoke to God this morning, and he said he didn't like you''
haha yeah, this was around the time when we were getting to see a real good heel Jake wasn't it?

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
haha yeah, this was around the time when we were getting to see a real good heel Jake wasn't it?
I saw a Dibiase interview where he talking about how promos came so natural to Jake and how he wished he had that. Jake get a lot of credit from those that were there, but not near enough from casual fans. THe Snake Pit was awesome and really showed how versatile Jake really was

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw a Dibiase interview where he talking about how promos came so natural to Jake and how he wished he had that. Jake get a lot of credit from those that were there, but not near enough from casual fans. THe Snake Pit was awesome and really showed how versatile Jake really was
Yeah, I think he's another, where in hindsight you realise so many things, this happens in most cases though, when you look back on a wrestler and realise how good they were for whatever reason.

Dibiase was so natural on the mic too, he didn't need to be any different, I tell you who I thought was pretty good, which I'm not sure he gets much credit for either is Sid Justice, he could do some promo's with real intensity also, they used to scare me lol

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

Bad show. I only remember two things from it- Undertaker's win and the finish to Flair's match. The rest is forgettable and forgettable tends to equal bad because I have a pretty good memory when it comes to wrestling.

Undertaker/Hogan. Even if it was more of a 'moment' than a match.

Undertaker beating Hogan is one of the most memorable things from this era, period.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Jakes promos a lot of times made about as much sense as the Warriors, it was just that his delivery was much more different.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Bad show. I only remember two things from it- Undertaker's win and the finish to Flair's match. The rest is forgettable and forgettable tends to equal bad because I have a pretty good memory when it comes to wrestling.

Undertaker/Hogan. Even if it was more of a 'moment' than a match.

Undertaker beating Hogan is one of the most memorable things from this era, period.
Did you not think the opening match was good? :)

Jakes promos a lot of times made about as much sense as the Warriors, it was just that his delivery was much more different.
Oh I dunno, I could understand what Jake was on about, didn't have a clue what Warrior was saying haha

·
Banned
473 Posts
By the way, there was a reason that six men tag was last...

Jake was supposed to be on the heel side with Sid on the face side, but Sid got injured and therefore they "Suspended" Jake.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, there was a reason that six men tag was last...

Jake was supposed to be on the heel side with Sid on the face side, but Sid got injured and therefore they "Suspended" Jake.
Ah I see, he's quite accident prone is Sid isn't he lol

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Survivor Series 91 was minor to Vince, his eyes were set on Tuesday In Texas

Missed Jake and Sid in the final elimination match :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
I recently rewatched this event...
Overall a poor PPV. Half their focus was on promoting a subsequent "Tuesday in Texas" PPV event, which hurt the importance of Survivor Series. Also I feel like this was the beginning of the end for the Survivor Series format once they included a singles contest (Hogan-Undertaker). Afterwards the company felt like they couldn't do a full event on the 4-on-4 premise, which I am disappointed by.

First SS match: great potential, disappointing finish. Instead of building heat for Flair they have a confusing count out finish announcing Flair as the sole survivor despite the fact that he was outside the ring brawling the entire time. I think Flair should have been the sole survivor, cheating his way to his team scoring their pinfalls.

Second SS match: Impressive performance by the Beserker; he didn't have much help. I don't think this match otherwise interested anybody. I believe it had been promoted with a very different lineup initially (Steamboat, Neidhart, Bully Busick all were to be involved).

Hogan - Taker: Undertaker was still very raw. His stick involved moving around like a zombie, and his arsenal of offense this match was rest moves. Hogan gets in little offense, and the audience is really nearly put to sleep. Of course Hogan no-sells a Tombstone, and then later we are to believe a second Tombstone nearly cripples him. It was an interesting pairing for a match, but instead of making it a great feud it was just designed to be a cheap way to get Hogan to agree to drop the title.

Third SS match: Actually not a terrible tag team Survivor Series match that serves it's purpose in further the Rockers breakup. Janetty with a cool performance including a Frankensteiner! I also thought the Beverly Brothers showed good work here, and it was too bad they were lost in the shuffle as a heel tag team (behind Natural Disasters, Money Inc, Nasty Boys).

Forth SS match: This one disappoints as Sid was injured, forcing them to drop it to a 3-on-3 event. I might have perferred a Hogan/Justice/LOD vs Roberts/Taker/ND match, but the whole suspension of Roberts and reinstatement of Savage worked pretty good too as a developing story during the event.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
The event that introduced me to wrestling. Loved every minute of it. Flair winning the opening match on a technicality, Undertaker defeating Hogan for the title, the Rockers splitting up and the really enjoyable LOD & Boss Man / IRS & Natural Disasters match really stick in my mind.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also I feel like this was the beginning of the end for the Survivor Series format once they included a singles contest (Hogan-Undertaker). Afterwards the company felt like they couldn't do a full event on the 4-on-4 premise, which I am disappointed by.
Yeah they did, the following year, didn't have that many Survivor Series concept matches, which was a shame and a let down, I'm so glad that in the last year or so they've finally started to go back to the original concept, which is what this PPV is all about, changing that was silly really and made no sense.

The event that introduced me to wrestling. Loved every minute of it. Flair winning the opening match on a technicality, Undertaker defeating Hogan for the title, the Rockers splitting up and the really enjoyable LOD & Boss Man / IRS & Natural Disasters match really stick in my mind.
Yeah, good stuff :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wasn't a huge fan of this one. After enjoying the heck out of Series 87, 88, 89, 90, this one fell pretty short. It just felt a lot weaker overall and IMO the weakest PPV that year (unless you count Tuesday in Texas.) None of the survivor matches were anything spectacular and they all kind of went too fast.

The first series match had a lot of potential but it became a mess at the end and I didn't like that finish. I also didn't like getting the only 3-on-3 at the end. It just felt a little "cheap" to me, I'm sure they could've found 2 more people to put in that match to make it 4-on-4 (maybe not, I'm not sure how deep the talent pool was at that time).

I was ok with Hogan vs Taker for the strap, IMO Series did need to have at least one title match as the others didn't have any but that finish got too hazy and ended up being controversial and as someone stated seemed like an excuse to push the sale of Tuesday in Texas.

Overall score.....35/100 (which is a below average but not complete crap in my scale)

Hogan losing the gold was the only key and memorable thing in this one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts