Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my mate (mellison24) were just discussing ideas WWE could use to help the product. This idea has come up a lot on forums so it's nothing we've solely created by any means but I definitely feel like this could benefit WWE as a whole. I am talking about the idea of WWE having an off season.

Firstly, when would this occur? My idea would be for it to happen right after Wrestlemania, so Wrestlemania is the PPV finale for the WWE calendar year. That way, the fans and the superstars go out on a high note, as well as the resulting hype for the first episode of Monday Night RAW being afterwards. I would also add that they have the annual draft occur here too in order to help advertise WWE.

Secondly, I would have the PPV after Wrestlemania be Bragging Rights. Firstly, because this won't steal any thunder from Survivor Series or the traditional elimination tag team match. Secondly, because it goes hand in hand with the draft so the first month of WWE programming in their fiscal year would be all about brand supremacy. Finally, because this would work much better than having Extreme Rules after Wrestlemania because it is way too much of a contrast in match types. It feels like a sudden shift in dynamic (rather than a smooth, gradual transition) which would confuse or disorient a lot of fans.

During the off-season, WWE could easily televise classic matches along with advertising the next 'season' of WWE television.

The benefit of having an off-season would obviously be that the welfare of the superstars themselves would be much better. There's less stress on their bodies and on them mentally and also there would be significantly less risk of serious injury. In terms of financial and practical benefits, WWE would not have to carry a set everywehere, every week. It saves on cost. Also, WWE as a weekly episodic show (although makes history) is bordering on overkill these days. If WWE had an off season, it would allow them to hype the next 'season' of WWE to a greater extent. This would also have the result of causing the fans to want to see WWE again. The ratings would easily improve imo.

What do you all think?

· Registered
995 Posts
Funny, I was just discussing this with MY mate, 1andOnlyDobz! How ironic! ;) I didn't think you would actually go ahead and post this! Good idea, mind (imo ofc).

In addition though, the off season would give WWE creative a chance to develop and focus on a long-term 'storyline' goal for the show itself.

So the year would culminate in the HOF, then Wrestlemania. Great!! But the 'Slammy's should then be held after Wrestlemania imo. Keep a record of the title-holders at this time, and introduce a new 'Slammy' whereby the winner of the most matches over the season is also recorded (for our benefit).

· KAMEHAMEHA!
33,875 Posts
Basically the current scheme of things in the WWE wouldn't allow them to take a break any time during the year. If they do want to implement something of this sort, it will have to planned a couple of years in advance, which will also result in just ramifications.

· Registered
995 Posts
I would argue that any money lost in the off season would be regained through additional merchandise sales at the start of the season (like a new footy strip always gets sales). In any case....don't they make millions in profit anyway? As in AFTER all wages, taxes and additional costs are paid?

Although point taken about the time needed to implement it. But in theory at least, it's not all that bad an idea imo.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically the current scheme of things in the WWE wouldn't allow them to take a break any time during the year. If they do want to implement something of this sort, it will have to planned a couple of years in advance, which will also result in just ramifications.
I definitely think WWE could pull something like this off if they started planning a couple of years in advance imo. I would tend to agree at thie moment in time, it isn't very practical if it happened straight away, but I also think it would be beneficial for WWE as a whole if they did this. But it's just an idea tbh

· Banned
5,164 Posts
For this to happen I think it would take a MAJOR STAR in his PRIME to pass away simply from wear and tear. Like they link his death solely to being overworked by the insane WWE schedule. This would have to be followed up by an unrelenting media campaign that went straight after Vince and WWE, demanding an off season. Even then, it would be unlikely.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
I like the idea. But they would have to run the risk of losing fans in the off season. But the offseason would be a great time to use their NXT and Tough Enough shows to show what kind of talent they will be getting on next "season" of raw. The year round matches and ppv's are watering down the story lines and making them less interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.