Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Zombo
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me state that Dean Ambrose is awesome at what he does. A great promo, competent in the ring, turns shit into gold often times, able to get himself over no matter what he's given.

And this, my friends, is the whole point. He doesn't NEED the belt to be relevant. He's going to connect on his own, and stay over on his own. Leave the belts for guys that require that prop to stay relevant (like 2010 Miz or guys who can't talk like Reigns and Sheamus).

Let's look at Ambrose's strength here - his ability to stay over in spite of whatever bullshit he's fed by Vince. So let him put over the top heels that are on their way to the main event. Hell, leave him as a crazy tweener and he can put over top faces who are ascending there was well. He can play the role of GATEKEEPER to the WWE Title, never actually needing it himself but able to cement an up-and-comer as a LEGIT contender after going through his crazy ass.

Ambrose has established himself so well in a short period that there's no need for him to wear the belt. He doesn't have the presence of a Lesnar or Rock, but he DOES have that compelling nature about him in the same vein as Jake Roberts or Roddy Piper. Keep in mind, these are two LEGENDS that didn't need a title. Not a bad little role for Ambrose, and one that I wholeheartedly endorse.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Okay by this token, Brock, Daniel Bryan, Orton, Cena, Ziggler don't need the belt.

But what about the fans that want to see these people win the belt? You are not taking these people into consideration.

Or think about it like this: Austin was so talented, and his feud with McMahon so great, that he didn't need the belt because he had something bigger than the title, which was the greatest feud of all time. But the fans wanted to see him win the title because it's a vindication of all your hard work.

Likewise, the belt has always been vindication of your hard work, and always will be, even if its a scripted title.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I hope they have something compelling for Ambrose in the near future; 2 months ago I was on the bandwagon but since then, I don't have any interest in Ambrose's manchild gimmick; I'm sure they could make it work if they placed him in the right environment, someone to bounce off but so far it's just "Hey look, it's Dean! here's a segment of how loony he is .." uhm that's nice.

I feel midcard titles will be his fortei as many predicted.

·
International Purveyor Of Violence
Super Brutality 💪🦋
2,478 Posts
Zombo, you make some great points, but I've gotta side with Daemon on this one; Ambrose's fans eventually want to see some vindication of his work. Payoff is what makes serial media worthwhile, and all too often falls by the wayside in WWE. While Jake and Hot Rod are stellar examples of those who were over without needing a title, keep in mind this was also during or around Hogan's 4 year tenure. I agree that right now, however, he doesn't need the big title, though he does need to come out on top of his next big feud.

I predict Rollins will be the first to win the big one. If he doesn't successfully cash in that MITB at some point this whole storyline and build will have been an epic waste.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I highly disagree with this. Even stone cold himself said, "If you're not in the business to win the big one then you shouldn't be in the business at all". The WWE World Heavyweight Championship is what all wrestlers should be competing for and it should be awarded to the most over/talented guys on the roster. Sure legends like Jake the Snake and Roddy Piper never won it, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have. It kind of sucks that none of those greats won the main title either because they can never be put into the same league as Stone Cold, The Rock, Hogan, and Flair. Plus, if they keep booking Ambrose to lose and never win the big one then fans will begin to lose their stock in Ambrose and he'll fade into midcard hell like so many others have.

Reactions: TheBigMatty

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
And giving it to guys like Del Rio who no one gave a fuck about didn't help his career at all either. He won the largest rumble in history, money in the bank, and several world titles, but it did nothing for his career. Basically, talented guys who are over with the crowd should be awarded while guys like Del Rio who no one gave a shit about should be the ones trapped in midcard hell.

·
Butter My Arse
12,765 Posts
If he's still motivated and passionate (oh, and booked sensibly) about what he's doing, then the longer he goes without winning the top belt, then the more popular he'll be. I'm talking like 3-4 years not a decade or whatever.

Leave the fans craving for that moment when Ambrose wins the world title. It could be met with a reception the modern day equivalent of Mankind winning the belt back in 1999. Maybe even like Bryan last year. The thrill of the chase is more special than the catch.

:cole 'DEAN AMBROSE HAS DONE IT! THE BOYHOOD DREAM HAS COME TRUE!'

:jbl 'THAT WAS FUN MAGGLE!'

:cole 'HASHTAG AMBROSE! HASHTAG DOUBLEYOUDOUBLEYOUEEE! OH MY!'

·
Banned
6,190 Posts
The only thing Ambrose needs right now is a complete character overhaul. This is teetering on embarrassing levels. I don't want to see a guy who is constantly involved in goofy PG WWE style comedy acts holding the belt, nor do I think it's fitting for his character currently to want to hold the belt.

·
Since Day One
9,907 Posts
If he's still motivated and passionate (oh, and booked sensibly) about what he's doing, then the longer he goes without winning the top belt, then the more popular he'll be. I'm talking like 3-4 years not a decade or whatever.

Leave the fans craving for that moment when Ambrose wins the world title. It could be met with a reception the modern day equivalent of Mankind winning the belt back in 1999. Maybe even like Bryan last year. The thrill of the chase is more special than the catch.

:cole 'DEAN AMBROSE HAS DONE IT! THE BOYHOOD DREAM HAS COME TRUE!'

:jbl 'THAT WAS FUN MAGGLE!'

:cole 'HASHTAG AMBROSE! HASHTAG DOUBLEYOUDOUBLEYOUEEE! OH MY!'
Yeah, this could be a possibility, too. I don't see Ambrose as FOTC material so he doesn't need to be shoehorned into title match after title match to be relevant but it'd be nice for it to happen at some point in his career. Maybe his first shot at the belt could be an entire year plus from now and you start the "craving" from there.

·
Oh, What a Day! What A Lovely Day!
3,568 Posts
What the hell kind of logic is that OP jesus christ you want to devalue the belt even more by keeping it on guys like Reigns ADR and Bryan? What the hell man?

like seriously the people on this forum fpalm
Bryan devalues the belt? :bryanlol

1 - 20 of 73 Posts