Banned
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They rate so many good games as bad and bad games as good

Anybody else agree?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Some of their reviews are decent but it's usually not the scores that bother me. Almost all of their reviews used to be at least 2-3 pages, Halo 2 or 3 was 5 pages, and the first Fable was like 8 pages or something like that. Now it's shockingly rare to find one that goes over a page. Also for example, the Dead Island review. The guy spent the whole review telling about how he felt as he played the game. He didn't comment on the quality of the main story or side missions at all, he didn't mention any of the skills/perks you earned, etc. I read the review and didn't know anything new about the game other than someone else felt immersed a lot.

·
Sorry bout your damn luck
3,483 Posts
In reality any review you see on the internet can be bullcrap, regardless of the site it comes from. Many times a game review can be spot on, but everyone has different opinions on certain aspects of games so each person's take on a game will vary. So basically what I am trying to say is that IGN's reviews can be wrong imo, yes but that can apply to any video game review if you ask me.

I usually check IGN or Gamespot's reviews for a game first tbh though. :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You can't spell ignorant without IGN.
Damn it, you said it before I got the chance.

Seriously though, IGN reviews IMO are pure BS, I did used to read there articles and reviews a year or 2 ago but I often felt their oppinion was complete crap and stopped.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,078 Posts
They've redeemed themselves in my eyes by giving R3 a 9.

·
Registered
402 Posts
They've redeemed themselves in my eyes by giving R3 a 9.
9GN does it again. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the quality of their reviews have really gone downhill in the last couple of years. These days I check IGN for the latest news and listen to their podcasts, but their reviews are completely uninformative. I'm not talking about the scores either (Metacritic is far more useful than any single review score), but the text is pretty much written like a preview and the reviewer rarely explains the ins and outs of the game in adequate detail. Gamespot reviews, while I don't trust their scores either, does a much better job of this.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
IGN have become pretty bad the last few years, but there's plenty of offenders just as bad if not worse. As said, I tend to just check metacritic for an overall consensus of reviews as just checking out what GameTrailers (for example) have to say is no more credible than reading an obscure Portuguese magazine.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
only when it comes to giving cod games 8 and above even though the campaigns are five hours of pointless bulshit.they seem to be pretty spot on with everything else imo,prefer gamespot though.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I usually don't read their reviews, but I'll watch their video reviews just to get a view of the gameplay. Their video reviews are alright.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
IGN preety much dropped their own integrity as reviewers for the sake of money, and most of the time their reviews ARE ignorant...

i still remember how i got pissed becuase this one reviewer kept bitching about the grain filter in the lost and the damned forgetting there is an option to take it out, another one claiming that is too hard to hit X and B (square and circle) at the same time... fpalm, on other the guy whined that the controls were too hard for him...

IGN started nice but they seriously declined, they still have their lucky shots here and there, but overall i don't trust them for reviews

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
The reviews are alright if you disregard their personal opinions and ignore the overall ratings they give the games...

:side:

So yeah, not the best to say the least. But at least they let gamers write reviews on their site, which is kinda cool. Personally, I prefer Game Informer's reviews over everyone's.

·
EIRE
15,862 Posts
I'll watch the video reviews from IGN and read articles on there but I dont overly have a problem with them. I'll take a Gamespot or a GameTrailers score over an IGN one, though.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
They get paid by companies like EA to hype up their games. I like some of the reviewers on there, but mostly would rather watch the video reviews and gain my own opinion from what it looks like rather than reading their articles for the reviews.

·
3,539 Posts
In general, the idea of a review is for an opinion to be given.

Truth be told, I no longer care about scores because honestly numbers are a terrible way of quantifying a game's attributes. Truth be told, all reviews, doesn't matter what site/magazine/person you get them from, should be taken with a grain of salt.

When deciding whether I want a game, I read the reviews from many different sources, pick out what's hot/not in each game, watch some gameplay footage and then make the decision myself. Anyone nowadays who still relies on a single review or site for their info and decision making needs to wake up, tbh.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts

Truth be told, I no longer care about scores because honestly numbers are a terrible way of quantifying a game's attributes. Truth be told, all reviews, doesn't matter what site/magazine/person you get them from, should be taken with a grain of salt.

When deciding whether I want a game, I read the reviews from many different sources, pick out what's hot/not in each game, watch some gameplay footage and then make the decision myself. Anyone nowadays who still relies on a single review or site for their info and decision making needs to wake up, tbh.
only intelligent post not by me in this thread ^^

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts

Well said, pretty much what I do. Playing Splatterhouse on PS3 atm, it got generally bad scores, but fuck it, I looked at the gameplay and bought it and I really enjoy it, it's a fun as fuck game.

·
3,539 Posts
I mean, a lot of hack-n-slash/RPG fans missed out on NIER because it got generally mediocre reviews. Bah, it was worth much more than most places gave it. Really absorbing story, combat did lack a little but it was fun overall.

So, take the good from reviews, leave the shit, make your own opinion. Like I haven't bought Black Ops and probably won't buy MW3 because I know they're just fucking rehashes of games I don't particularly like. Despite almost all websites thinking that Black Ops was the greatest thing since...MW2.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts