Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look, I know he isn't the best wrestler. And isn't the best talker either.

But I have really liked the story they've been telling with him since he came back from his injury last year. He turned face and has been very natural in the role. He gained victories clean one after another until he got his chance to compete for the Intercontinental Tile, which he earned. Then, he won it. And had every intention of defending it like a true champion. He was great with the fans,(I particularly liked when he let a kid hold his belt before a match recently) and the Title looked good on him. Admittedly I didn't like it when his shirt covered half of it when he wore them together.

It was a straightforward Championship story of a guy who earned his Title. It was a narrative that flowed naturally. And him losing it in a feud that isn't more than a month old just seems...sad. And cheap.

And whenever I see him mentioned in this Forum, I see almost nothing but hate for the guy! Why?

·
Banned
6,190 Posts
He's alright. I liked him before he became Mr Roast-Some-Marshmallows-Round-The-Campfire-And-Share-The-Stories-Behind-Our-Boyscout-Badges. Wish they'd have him go back to being the doofusy meathead.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't hate him. I don't like him either. I want to like Ryback but stale is the word that comes to mind. His character needs to evolve. He can't just keep coming out looking crazy and say, "Feed me more!" There's nothing more to the guy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't hate him. I don't like him either. I want to like Ryback but stale is the word that comes to mind. His character needs to evolve. He can't just keep coming out looking crazy and say, "Feed me more!" There's nothing more to the guy.
I suppose that's fair. They did need to add something to him when he became Champion. I just wish his reign wasn't so short.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
He's had time to develop and hasn't... He's just a big guy running around... Doesn't really serve a purpose. He should ditch the singlet IMO. I know it's part of his package, but the whole get angry and put the straps down just isn't necessary. He's huge.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I suppose that's fair. They did need to add something to him when he became Champion. I just wish his reign wasn't so short.
It's kind if weird that they didn't give him anything when he became champ. It was a great opportunity to give him more depth or have a meaningful fued. Instead they "fed" him Big Show and the Miz thrown in there, randomly. It's almost like they never had any hopes for him to begin with.

·
Banned
4,498 Posts
I like Ryback simply for the fact that he seems like a real nice guy in real life. Seen interviews of him. Dude is very soft spoken and kind big guy and it is nice to see. As a wrestler he is average at best. I like him though. He is a good dude who works hard I want him to succeed. His IC Title reign was really stale and forgettable.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I find the "feed me more" chant to be gay as hell and the "big guy" talk is just lame. His gimmick is straight out of a nickelodeon cartoon. I do feel like he could do better with a better gimmick. Too bad I don't see it changing. Gotta keep all the brats all around the world happy.

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
I like him, especially when he seemed less scripted a while back. Now, you can tell that Vince has him on a short leash with the promos as they have tried to rebuild him... though he wouldn't need it if they stopped getting in the way.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm glad I'm not alone in liking him. I hope he'll get good work in the future. I feel he's earned it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
He's physically a very impressive wrestler, and he's decent in the ring. Improved over the years and don't look to be running out of gas early on anymore.

Ryback just isn't exciting to watch or follow. He has no outstanding features except for his build. I have nothing against the man, he just seems very bland. It was good he held a title though but it didn't improve him much.

He's an okay face, but can't generate heat worth shit. I'm not sure where to utilise him best actually.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
He's alright. I liked him before he became Mr Roast-Some-Marshmallows-Round-The-Campfire-And-Share-The-Stories-Behind-Our-Boyscout-Badges. Wish they'd have him go back to being the doofusy meathead.
Agreed. I liked when he first came out with his "I'm da big guy" thing. He did it in a doofusy meathead way as you say. He was like a big lovable idiot with a bully streak in him.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts