Wrestling Forum banner

Am I the only one who HATES this years wrestlemania build up

863 Views 16 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  LipsLikeMorphine
I normally just sit back and enjoy the show but this has just plain been the most awful stuff on TV this year. I'm just going to give a quick run down on why I think most matches are worthless.

Let me begin with the most un-important match on the card punk vs orton, I say its the most un-important cause it has the least build up to it "fact Micheal Cole got more ring time in one week than these two got in 3 weeks". Added to the fact wwe can't come up with anything new besides either beatdowns or punts.. Don't be surprise if they book orton vs Riley and Ted the next two weeks and Orton punts them while cmpunk is like no you don't do that.. Also why book the face as unstoppable, isn't it supposed to be the other way around, but hey this isn't the first time wwe booked orton stupid.. Punk fans should be happy though since its obvious punk will win since ever other face has to win..

Cole vs Jerry- WWE has been giving this away on free TV, its going to be nothing but talking and run ins with maybe Jerry hitting a few moves on Cole.. A stunner is also a givin on Swagger and Cole to. Probably what makes me the most angry with this one is it will get more air time than an actual wrestling match itself.. WWE could of gave us a 15 minute match with Bryan vs Regal for the US title, but they give us this:no:

Taker vs HHH- something I'm only interested in just cause you don't know who the winner will be. Not going to rant on this one cause I see no problem with it.

Edge vs DelRio- well PO at edge being in the WM mainevent again.. DelRio gets hardly any reaction at times and he could very well end up like Swagger and Sheamus. A wrestler wwe pushed off the bat, and they don't live up to expectations and wwe pulls the plug on you.. Also it kinda like the Rock/Cena/Miz debacle, more people are interested in a Edge/Christian more than Edge/DelRio and Christian isn't even in the match.. Its just like it.

John/snokie/trish vs dolph/laycool- another case of why didn't wwe give us Natalya vs Beth or the debut of Kong instead of this horseshit.. A celbs in the feud so you already know whos going to win..

Cena/Rock/Miz- I'm looking in terms of match quality here. Miz vs Cena have never put on a wrestlemania worthy match. If you add the Rock factor to it thats just going to make their match the worst they've ever had in terms of actual wrestling. This is just a gimmick/story match far as I'm concerned. We all know cena's going to win, I just don't see the point
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,506 Posts
i dont agree since they have been better then the build ups of last few years IMO, it just doesnt have WM feel since Michaels is gone.

And MITB is gone so they had to add mid-card matches, and mid-card matches dont have a build-up until after the last PPV before WM.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
I have absolutley no problem with Miz vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship since I'm a fan of the Miz and also because the Miz has really stepped up the past couple weeks by showing he can play with the big boys.... on the mic or in the ring he is pretty damn good lately. But unfortunately I see a repeat of last year's WM match for the WWE Championship... John Cena vs. Batista. Batista came into WM as champion but of course Cena wins it on the biggest stage because he is the biggest star which I'm about 87% sure it will happen again this year. Although if Miz does go over Cena and retain the title... pun-intended it will be awesome and really, really help put Miz on the same level as guys like Orton or Edge who are top tier wrestlers who are consistently competing for a World Title or always in a main-event.

· Premium Member
37,916 Posts
Let me begin with the most un-important match on the card punk vs orton, I say its the most un-important cause it has the least build up to it "fact Micheal Cole got more ring time in one week than these two got in 3 weeks". Added to the fact wwe can't come up with anything new besides either beatdowns or punts.. Don't be surprise if they book orton vs Riley and Ted the next two weeks and Orton punts them while cmpunk is like no you don't do that.. Also why book the face as unstoppable, isn't it supposed to be the other way around, but hey this isn't the first time wwe booked orton stupid.. Punk fans should be happy though since its obvious punk will win since ever other face has to win..
Errr this one has had more build up than most as far as I'm concerned. They've made it out to be 2 YEARS in the making and they've done a pretty good job of that as far as I'm concerned. The fact that it's actually going to be a ONE ON ONE match makes it pretty damn creative to me too based on the rest of Nexus's matches in the last year. They are pretty much setting up Punk to win now anyway seeing as it's almost too obvious that Orton will win (kayfabe). They wanted the rest of Nexus off TV so they can end Nexus and they've done a pretty good job of it as far as I'm concerned. It's not as bad as the Spirit Squad burial so be happy about that.

Cole vs Jerry- WWE has been giving this away on free TV, its going to be nothing but talking and run ins with maybe Jerry hitting a few moves on Cole.. A stunner is also a givin on Swagger and Cole to. Probably what makes me the most angry with this one is it will get more air time than an actual wrestling match itself.. WWE could of gave us a 15 minute match with Bryan vs Regal for the US title, but they give us this:no:
You really think WWE would bore the live audience with a Bryan vs. Regal match and pretty much kill the crowd for the rest of the night? Think about that one please. You may not find a match like that boring but I guarantee you that the crowd would be dead after about 5 minutes.

I do agree though that this feud has been getting too much TV time but it's been building for MONTHS, seems pretty much inevitable to happen.

Edge vs DelRio- well PO at edge being in the WM mainevent again.. DelRio gets hardly any reaction at times and he could very well end up like Swagger and Sheamus. A wrestler wwe pushed off the bat, and they don't live up to expectations and wwe pulls the plug on you.. Also it kinda like the Rock/Cena/Miz debacle, more people are interested in a Edge/Christian more than Edge/DelRio and Christian isn't even in the match.. Its just like it.
Edge is still the top face on Smackdown, who else could have defended the title at Wrestlemania?

John/snokie/trish vs dolph/laycool- another case of why didn't wwe give us Natalya vs Beth or the debut of Kong instead of this horseshit.. A celbs in the feud so you already know whos going to win..
It's the Celeb match...filler...whatever, who cares.

Cena/Rock/Miz- I'm looking in terms of match quality here. Miz vs Cena have never put on a wrestlemania worthy match. If you add the Rock factor to it thats just going to make their match the worst they've ever had in terms of actual wrestling. This is just a gimmick/story match far as I'm concerned. We all know cena's going to win, I just don't see the point
Out of all the possible things you could have brought up you brought up match quality? You didn't consider the fact that Cena has pretty much ignored Miz till this week...figured you'd go there. Alright anyway, Cena is a better big match performer than people give him credit for, far better if you ask me. As for Miz, we'll have to wait and see.

· Premium Member
6,855 Posts
Cole vs. Lawler will be the McMahon vs. Bret from last year. With that aside they REALLY didn't need to have Snooki in there pairing with Morrison and Trish. Two joke matches? Clearly Team Morrison will go over just as King will go over. Take out Snooki and add Kelly Kelly and it's as good as it'll probably get..

The Taker/HHH Build has been so out of nowhere. They just cut promos. Okay? Big deal. I don't get their newfound beef with one another as I don't find it believable. Each of them had their own feuds to continue and/or finish with the people who put them out of action.

· Premium Member
46,379 Posts
I don't necessarily hate the build up. I've seen alot worse (13, X-8, 22, & XXV all say hello!) but they've made a lot of mistakes along the way.

- I'm glad that they stuck to their guns with Miz. I just wish they hadn't done the feud with Lawler and spent more time making Miz a credible champion...something that they are scrambling to do now.
- Speaking of Lawler, am I the only bothered by the fact that the feud that has gotten the most care, long term build, & attention is the match between two announcers? I mean go back to Mania X-Seven, Vince & Shane had its build, sure, but the wrestlers still took center stage over them (Rock/Austin most notably). How about Mania V? Heenan was put into the ring for a quick little comedy match with Rooster. It had build, but took a backseat to what most of the wrestlers were doing since it was going to be mostly comedy anyway. I don't have a problem with this match happening, but it does kind of bug me that this is what the WWE felt needed the most care & attention. Hell Lawler got that World Title storyline JUST to build this up, when I think Lawler should have been fodder for Miz to tear through.
- I wish more of their midcarders had a direction. But guys like Bryan, Morrison, Ziggler, Kofi, Swagger, Sheamus, and the like are just being put into random spots that pretty much anybody can fill without much storyline purpose behind it.
- I've said it before, but I'm just not feeling Taker/HHH. It feels very hollow to me and something they just threw up because they needed a marquee match.
- They haven't done a good job of making Del Rio look like a credible Mania contender at all. Its not that they've made him look bad (although I question things like making him a victim to a one off Shawn Michaels attack). Its that they haven't really elevated him. He wins the Rumble and then feuds with Kofi...who is directionless? Its really a sign of how devoid of star power the Smackdown brand really is and WWE should put more care into elevating the stars over there.
- With Trish returning to the ring, Rock being the Guest Host & playing a part in the Miz/Cena match, Austin as a Guest Referee, Lawler having a match that JR will almost certainly play a role in, the big marquee match being Triple H/Taker which may include Shawn Michaels in some capacity, and even them teaming up E&C on TV again (Finally!), it really does feel like WWE is selling this show on the past, and I shudder to think where the product would be at the moment if guys like Rock didn't get involved.

· Recognize
21,207 Posts
Well I'm finally starting to feel the hype. Thank God lol. But for a while there I seriously was as uninterested as I could be for Mania which is rather shocking when you factor in that I'm actually going. I just hope they can build from Raw and keep things moving up from here on in.

· 1/100
8,001 Posts
They need to clear up the whole Edge/Christian/Del Rio deal.

We know it's Edge/Del Rio, but if you're not gonna include Christian in the match(whether some are for/against Christian being included in the match is not the point and doesn't matter)... why complicate it like they have for the past 3 weeks? I mean, they have spent so much time with Edge/Christian/Del Rio when if they are just gonna do Edge/ADR then they should make that the singular focus and do promos around just Edge/ADR. As it stands right now, the only reason we have this match is because ADR has a title shot and Edge just so happens to be the guy who has the belt. There has been no build for anyone to REALLY give a fuck about this 1v1 match.

If you're doing Edge/Del Rio then do Edge/Del Rio, and let Christian get involved in Big Show/Kane/Corre. As of right now we have an idea of what's gonna happen, but they need to clear the lines so we know what's what for sure.

· Registered
7,244 Posts
cole/lawler is the best built match in like 5 years

· Registered
1,441 Posts
I am only not liking the lack of build up that HHH/Taker is getting.
This.

Its like they just said "see ya at Mania" and thats it.I mean i know the match will be great but it still needs some proper build like any big match in the past ffs.Punk/Orton is the best build by a country mile and the match should be awesome.So yeah,HHH/Taker has disappointed thus far but there's still time to go til Mania so things should pick up soon enough.

· Registered
2,508 Posts
they have never been in a wrestlemania match.

· Banned
964 Posts
This.

Its like they just said "see ya at Mania" and thats it.I mean i know the match will be great but it still needs some proper build like any big match in the past ffs.Punk/Orton is the best build by a country mile and the match should be awesome.So yeah,HHH/Taker has disappointed thus far but there's still time to go til Mania so things should pick up soon enough.
I agree on the HHH/Taker stuff. Can you imagine their highlight video at Wrestlemania. It will probably be just HBK talking about how awesome both of them are again.

On the Orton/Punk stuff. I really dont think it has been built up all that well. It started of great, but the past few weeks it has all been literally the same stuff over and over. Orton takes one guy out and Punk looks on at him, and that is pretty much it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.