Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Escalator Temporarily Stairs
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about how over certain Superstars are? That's one thing I definitely don't miss about being on forums; seeing people relentlessly bicker about who gets what kind of crowd response. I don't know about all of you, but this is what I do when I watch wrestling. I sit in front of my TV, and when the people who entertain me come on, I sit and I enjoy them. I don't take mental notes or compare and contrast the differences in Superstars' crowd responses. I watch the show with zero intention of going on a message board later that night and saying something like "You are RETARDED if you didn't notice the slight decibel increase in Ziggler's entrance!" I don't get why people are so obsessed with this aspect of the business. I mean sure, crowd response dictates who gets pushed and who doesn't to an extent, but not always. Besides, what good is it going to do you to pay attention to that? Why, so you can make a case for why your favorite guy deserves a push?

I just think that more people need to realize that we don't know all the reasoning that goes into who gets pushed and who doesn't. So, saying that someone deserves a push or needs to drop a belt because of the reactions they get is a little presumptuous. Just watch the damn show. I'm not even entirely convinced that crowd responses are that easy to tell the difference between. I think chants are noticeable, and huge Stone Cold during the Attitude Era type responses are noticeable. Besides that, I think a lot of people's assessments of Superstars being over or not are either fabricated or exaggerated.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I'm getting the vibe that the op is a Daniel Bryan or Dolph Ziggler fan.

bwahahahaha

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
Seeing as I REALLY like Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre, I don't think I have to explain which side of the fence I'm on.

·
Old School
4,783 Posts
I certainly notice and always hope my favorite guys get nice pops, but at the end of the day it doesn't really affect me unlike some who feel the need to make multiple threads about it.

·
Escalator Temporarily Stairs
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm getting the vibe that the op is a Daniel Bryan or Dolph Ziggler fan.

bwahahahaha
Bryan and Ziggler are both great talents.

If you're implying that I'm getting defensive over their lack of crowd response, then you missed the mark. I'm completely unaware of where Bryan is at in that department seeing as I haven't actually watched Smackdown in a long while. I usually just read the results. As far as Dolph goes, I can't really say I've noticed if he's getting good heat or not. Like I said, I don't give a shit. There's no hidden meaning or agenda.

·
Super Moderator
19,308 Posts
I couldn't care less about who the crowd pops for...who sells more t-shirts or how high ratings are at any given segment. It's not going to make me enjoy a wrestler any more or any less.

·
Providing For My Family
6,868 Posts
The reason we look into overness is that we want to see how entertaining certain wrestlers are to the live crowd. To be successful you must put on a good show for the people in attendance, as well as the folks at home.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I don't really make a fuss over crowd reactions but they are important if someone is to get a bigger push most of the time at the very least. I say "most" because Alberto del Rio hardly got any heat when they gave him victories for the Royal Rumble and Money in the Bank, not to forget the WWE Championship. Now he's starting to get some better reaction though I still find him kinda boring.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
You're not the only one at all. If I like someone, I like them. Who the fuck cares what other people cheer, boo, or like? Unless you're a little kid, you shouldn't be liking or disliking people just because of the reaction others give them.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
A crowd reaction doesn't affect whether I like a wrestler either but I do like to see the wrestlers I enjoy get good crowd reaction from time to time.

·
8,590 Posts
i don't judge anyone on the reactions they get, but it is definately important for us as fans. if we want the people we like to continually succeed, they need to get a reaction, and for the wrestlers themselves, they'll try harder and put on a better show if the crowds behind them. i get a lot more engrossed in a match where the crowd is popping for every move, even if it's someone i don't like. makes matches go from good to great, like punk vs cena at money in the bank.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
It's funny when you look at the posts of people who don't care and the people who care and compare them.

One of my favorite wrestlers is Drew McIntyre and he doesn't get much of a reaction at all. It's about their actual talent for me.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
People are excessive with trying to sound like industry insiders on here when they talk about how over people are and ratings and such - but there IS a place for such talk in a wrestling fan's life.

I love Punk. If he's getting piss poor reactions, that can and will effect me because he'll be removed from his super push and put back into obscurity, which I definitely don't want to see. So talking about Punk's reactions (as an example), is relevant to me.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I hear ya OP. 90% of the crowds aren't good anyways, so it really makes it irrelevant. The only time I bring up a pop or a crowd reaction is if it's funny, annoying, or a creative chant. Crowds are a important part of wrestling, but I don't look at it to decide who I root for as a fan. I just enjoy watching a good live crowd from a tv perspective, it makes the show more entertaining (i.e. MITB 2011).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts