Wrestling Forum banner

Am I the only one who doesn't get the Sting vs Undertaker thing?

3415 Views 45 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  bigbuxxx
I mean, Sting can barely move and Undertaker only works a month a year.

Yes they're big names and yes it would be a big deal on paper. But, I can't see the match being entertaining beyond :mark:ing out for the two icons.

Thoughts? Not trying to persuade people one way or the other just curious.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· #HAIRBEAR #TEAMPALE
6,059 Posts
I said something similar yesterday. I respect Sting, and consider him a legend, etc. But he is almost 60.

I'd rather see Taker face someone else next year for Mania.

· Registered
6,278 Posts
It's a "dream match" people cooked up years ago and are still clinging to, regardless of the fact that Sting and Undertaker are a combined 104 years old.

Some fans will always cling to certain dream matches even if one or both guys are well past their "sell by" date. For example, if rumor of a Goldberg/Austin or even Hogan/Austin match began swirling, plenty of fans would get excited regardless of how old and broken down those guys are.

· Registered
90 Posts
At this point I've stopped worrying about how good the match will be or how much a response (or lack there of) Sting will get. It's something for the oldschool fans. The backbone of WWF/E vs. the backbone of WCW. Two dark/goth characters facing off. Two icons in the business who have never had a match before. Two guys who are respected by almost everyone else in the biz. It's a dream match pure and simple. I don't give two fucks if it's negative 5 stars, is met with crickets or anything else I'm going to mark out like a little bitch at the buildup alone, the match is almost like a ceremonial celebration for oldschool fans. The quality and results really doesn't matter.

· Banned
13,624 Posts
The storyline is what will matter most if this match happens. I just can't see sting hanging with the undertaker in the ring. I can't see sting letting undertaker put him in a hells a gate.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't get it either. A long time ago maybe but now. I suppose it depends on if you've watched Sting in TNA. If you haven't seen him at all since WCW was bought then it's probably a lot more exciting.

I'm sure the match would be good. I'm just not as interested as some others.

I'd much rather have Jake "the Snake" Roberts V Mankind but that has even less chance of happening.

· a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
32,397 Posts
Taker/Sting makes TONS of sense to anyone that watched through the entire times of Taker and Sting's careers. Though the WWE would have to find a way to make it relevant to ALL their fans if they decide to do this match at some point.

· #HAIRBEAR #TEAMPALE
6,059 Posts
At this point I've stopped worrying about how good the match will be or how much a response (or lack there of) Sting will get. It's something for the oldschool fans. The backbone of WWF/E vs. the backbone of WCW. Two dark/goth characters facing off. Two icons in the business who have never had a match before. Two guys who are respected by almost everyone else in the biz. It's a dream match pure and simple. I don't give two fucks if it's negative 5 stars, is met with crickets or anything else I'm going to mark out like a little bitch at the buildup alone, the match is almost like a ceremonial celebration for oldschool fans. The quality and results really doesn't matter.
Good post. I can understand all of that.

· Registered
807 Posts
I wanted to see this match at one point too, about ten years ago... At this point in time though they missed their opportunity. You can't turn Undertaker heel at this point, especially only working 1 month a year and Sting character doesn't work well as a heel either.

If they put the mask back on Kane, I wouldn't mind seeing a 3 month program of Sting vs. Kane. Then it could lead to an Undertaker vs. Sting for next at WM but not this year.

· Registered
2,842 Posts
Nostalgia that's why. I know it won't be a great match but the 80s and 90s mark in me we love to see two of the biggest icons of that time FINALLY collide. I would love to watch on the psychology alone and wouldn't expect a 5 star technical match.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
I know people say "look at Sting's TNA work over the last year or two" to say he can't have a good match anymore. But I guarantee, if he has a retirement match with the Undertaker at WM, it would be the best match Sting has worked in years.

· Registered
4,766 Posts
It's a dream matchup.

Sting can still wrestle better than Cena can and I still wanna see Cena vs. Taker at Mania. Idk. Sometimes all these "rules" don't apply to the streak matches.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.