Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· #TeamCardcaptor and Oh... Still Music >>>> Wrestli
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the match between Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat at Wrestlemania III overated?

I have checked many websites, opinions, blogs, threads, etc... calling it Classic, 5-Star match, "BEZT MATSH EVAR!!!" etc...

I watched the match several times and it doesn't seem to click with me and I'm always asking myself: "Am I watching the same match?" To me, it felt pretty much average. I gave it around ***1/2.

The entire match has like 39284823 roll up pinfall attempts and ends up with a cheap victory? (Granted, my all time favorite match is The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (Hell in a Cell))

You might say, yes, it is probably the best match on the PPV but to me, it felt pretty much average. Does anyone on the planet feels the same way?

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
To me, Steamboat/Savage at Wrestlemania III is proof that a great match and a flawless match are two different things. It's a "great" match in many ways. But it's also overrated. If that makes sense. Some of it's the backstory angle they had going in, some if it is the meticulous way the match was designed to provoke manipulation in the viewer and some of it is because, overrated or not, I think it's still certainly easily the best match on the Wrestlemania III card, bell to bell. A lot of matches on that show are somewhat overweight guys rumbling and tumbling in the ring, and then you have this hot match for the Intercontinental Championship between two guys in practically peak condition working superbly with one another... I agree that it's overrated, but I also think it's a "great," and important match to see. It's one of those gray area matches that I can never get tired of seeing, but don't absolutely adore.

· Registered
25 Posts
What you got to realise is, back then wrestling was a lot different to what it is now, so back then that match was a work of art, it was brilliant for its era, but perhaps this day in age, people will look at it differently.

· Registered
4,724 Posts
I think it's overrated too. But then again, I wasn't an 80's wrestling fan mostly because of the workrate of that era. I never was a fan of the in ring stuff and lost interest fast as a kid. Later on, I started getting into it with the styles of wrestlers like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

· Registered
104 Posts
Simonitro, I do understand where you are coming from. I feel that way about the Wrestlemania 12 Ironman match between Bret 'Hitman' Hart vs Shawn Michaels. A lot of people go crazy about it and say it was the best they ever saw because it went on for 60 minutes.

A lot of old-school wrestling fans, like myself, get very sentimental about Ricky Steamboat vs 'Machoman' Randy Savage at Wrestlemania 3. That was the match that got me hooked on wrestling so naturally I would see it differently to somebody who watched wrestling later. The match had everything and it did it all within 15 minutes (though apparently it was the longest match on the card).

As much as I don't want to admit it, DesolationRow is correct. Wrestlemania 3 was far from perfect (Junkyard Dog vs 'The King' Harley Race, Koko B Ware vs Butch Reed, The Killer Bees vs Sheik/Volkoff and Jake 'The Snake' Roberts vs Honky Tonk Man were awful matches) but nostalgia glosses over those imperfections like I am sure that will happen when you look back in time on that special match and PPV that made you a wrestling fan. :)

· Registered
12,821 Posts
count me in that boat. If I am in a good mood, I'll give that match ****. If I'm in a bad mood, then it goes down to ***1/2. The fact that it was so much better than everything else on the card I think skews this one to a higher ranking. Great match still sure, but not ******

Same for Wrestlemania 12 Ironman. Lots of people give it ***** stars, but I only give it ****

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.