Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When was the last time TNA had an X-Division champion that held the belt for any length of time? Whatever happened to building up a title by building up the man who holds it? The last time TNA had an X-Division champion that lasted over 2 months was Kenny King's reign. Give me a damn break, TNA.

· Registered
67,501 Posts
It's not even the "hot-shotting" that's the problem. It's the fact that the championship is worthless. WCW had that championship change hands a TON in their history b/c it was always branded as the most competitive strap. That was usually the same in TNA for a good portion of its tenure. Back in 2005 guys like Petey Williams & Christopher Daniels were having their reigns earn the title of "Longest reigning X-Champion" and they were getting that label about 3 1/2 month in. Championship hasn't really been known to associate w/super lengthy reigns, pardon the few that's gotta some.

Besides, it's a weird claim to make atm when the company seems intent on leaving the championship w/Sanada for a decent spell. Nearly been a month since he won it.

· Registered
881 Posts
The problem to me is the lack of feuds for the title. That is what makes titles interesting people having one on one rivalries for the strap. It's easily fixable just have someone like Sabin or Ion feud with Sanada.

· Registered
2,642 Posts
They have a solid champion in Sanada right now but the problem is he will probably cash in at Destination X and then never be used prominently again.

It's not even the "hot-shotting" that's the problem. It's the fact that the championship is worthless. WCW had that championship change hands a TON in their history b/c it was always branded as the most competitive strap. That was usually the same in TNA for a good portion of its tenure. Back in 2005 guys like Petey Williams & Christopher Daniels were having their reigns earn the title of "Longest reigning X-Champion" and they were getting that label about 3 1/2 month in. Championship hasn't really been known to associate w/super lengthy reigns, pardon the few that's gotta some.

Besides, it's a weird claim to make atm when the company seems intent on leaving the championship w/Sanada for a decent spell. Nearly been a month since he won it.
Actually Petey held it for just over 5 months and Daniels 6 months...

· Banned
9,211 Posts
Lack of story lines is the issue and not so much the hot shotting. I can't even remember the last time there was a legitimate 1-2 month story line featuring the X-Division Champion and a challenger.

There really are no story lines for any titles except the World Title. TNA will usually rush a title match onto a PPV within a week or two and it just makes people not care. Maybe even reduces the value of these titles.

· Registered
67,501 Posts
Actually Petey held it for just over 5 months and Daniels 6 months...

I know. That's why I said the moniker was getting thrown in at the half-way point for each reign. b/c all the reigns prior were shorter.

· Registered
450 Posts
They really have the belt on TV now, I do think that TNA are going to give X and KO divisions a revamp and then we will get to see the belt on TV more and see feuds which is what we all want right? Hot shooting the belt dose not bother me that much if it has a storyline to it ala Chris Sabin AA a while back.

· Banned
18,342 Posts
The Sabin/Aries feud was actively awful, with at least two DUD matches. Hopefully they found something with Sanada now.

· Registered
985 Posts
Personally I think the X Divsion title should include rapid changes (Obviously not over the top E.g. Weekly). It should be a division full young stars that wrestle a new and exciting style, faster than the main roster; the guys should have characters but their reasons for wrestling should rarely be about characters but about what they do in the ring and being the best of the Division and leading a new generation. The faces are over for their flashy offence and heels try to cheat to weigh them down because they can't keep up. Bring back rankings matches, 20 minutes of iMPACT dedicated to the X Division and just let them wrestle. Let it be it's own thing again.

· Banned
9,211 Posts
I'd like to add some more ways to improve the X-Division Title since the thread has gone in that direction.

- New Talent. They currently have Seiya Sanada. Tigre Uno, Manik and Chris Sabin. Kenny King is returning soon but even with him that's only 5 guys and most are very new wrestlers or guys who quite frankly aren't that over. I'd have DJ Zema wrestling in this division. I'd go to the free agent pool and sign Kid Kash who is a 24 year vet and could help the younger guys whilst still managing to have good matches, Greg Marasciulo and Rubix were both impressive for TNA last year and would be lower end inexpensive talent that TNA could use. Petey Williams and Sonjay Dutt could return (Both still early 30's) and maybe you bring Scorpio Sky and Tony Nese back for more work.

An X-Division scene of Chris Sabin, DJ Zema, Greg Marasciulo, Kenny King, Kid Kash, Manik, Petey Williams, Rubix, Scorpio Sky, Seiya Sanada, Sonjay Dutt, Tigre Uno and Tony Nese could be up there as one of the best Junior Heavyweight divisions in the world and it would probably be quite inexpensive to bring them all in. All of those plus an occasional talent exchange with AAA and Wrestle-1 could be so good for TNA.

- Story lines. Touched on it in my first post. Instead of this big elaborate story line with the Knockouts they should be replaced by the X-Division guys. 2 matches per PPV should be X-Division matches. Grudge matches should occur, matches for number 1 contenders should occur and title matches should occur. Title matches should no longer open the show and should be apart of the triple main event just like the old days. Occasionally Impact should be head lined by an X-Division Title match

- No more "cash in" rule. Don't know if they're doing away with it this year but it cheapens the belt and isn't exciting at all.

That's really it, give us new talent that is recognizable and exciting, give us meaningful story lines and highlight this division as your thing that differs you from WWE and with time people will tune in just for these guys.

· Registered
518 Posts
I'd like to add some more ways to improve the X-Division Title since the thread has gone in that direction.

- New Talent. They currently have Seiya Sanada. Tigre Uno, Manik and Chris Sabin. Kenny King is returning soon but even with him that's only 5 guys and most are very new wrestlers or guys who quite frankly aren't that over. I'd have DJ Zema wrestling in this division. I'd go to the free agent pool and sign Kid Kash who is a 24 year vet and could help the younger guys whilst still managing to have good matches, Greg Marasciulo and Rubix were both impressive for TNA last year and would be lower end inexpensive talent that TNA could use. Petey Williams and Sonjay Dutt could return (Both still early 30's) and maybe you bring Scorpio Sky and Tony Nese back for more work.

An X-Division scene of Chris Sabin, DJ Zema, Greg Marasciulo, Kenny King, Kid Kash, Manik, Petey Williams, Rubix, Scorpio Sky, Seiya Sanada, Sonjay Dutt, Tigre Uno and Tony Nese could be up there as one of the best Junior Heavyweight divisions in the world and it would probably be quite inexpensive to bring them all in. All of those plus an occasional talent exchange with AAA and Wrestle-1 could be so good for TNA.

- Story lines. Touched on it in my first post. Instead of this big elaborate story line with the Knockouts they should be replaced by the X-Division guys. 2 matches per PPV should be X-Division matches. Grudge matches should occur, matches for number 1 contenders should occur and title matches should occur. Title matches should no longer open the show and should be apart of the triple main event just like the old days. Occasionally Impact should be head lined by an X-Division Title match

- No more "cash in" rule. Don't know if they're doing away with it this year but it cheapens the belt and isn't exciting at all.

That's really it, give us new talent that is recognizable and exciting, give us meaningful story lines and highlight this division as your thing that differs you from WWE and with time people will tune in just for these guys.

Two Words: Kota Ibushi.

Ibushi is hands down the best high flyer in the business today, so TNA would be stupid not to try and sign him.

· Registered
518 Posts
He has contracts with both DDT and NJPW, so not going to happen in the next 3 years.

Pay-Per-Appearance contracts are NOT iron clad, if that was the case, WWE wouldn't have guys like Daniel Bryan today

Since he's not under a WRITTEN contract, he can be signed

· Registered
2,742 Posts
For me, Option C ruined the belt. It basically means (most likely) the belt will never be held over 1 year and the fact that people would pass trade it for a world title opportunity, I guess makes the world title look better but makes the X title look worthless. Midcard titles should be a figurative stepping stone, not a literal stepping stone. Option C needs to die out. Also have 5-8 main guys that are always in contention. Wheres Manik? Why did King leave so soon?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.