Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Now this is more like it.

We are now three Wrestlemania’s in. This time we are live from the Silverdome in Michigan. And this is the first real big one.

What else can I say? Just wow. The very first shot that we open up to is a wide shot of the entire stadium, and it is absolutely incredible. An unbelievable sight to behold. THIS is what big feels like. This is what special feels like. This FEELS like a huge event. I mean, look at this:

And with an insane attendance of over 93,000 people, this would go down as the largest in-door arena gathering event for over ten years. Absolutely incredible stuff.

This show has received much greater praise compared to its two predecessors. I am hoping that I will feel the same after I am done with this review, because these past two Wrestlemania’s have been...underwhelming, to put it nicely. And I have already accepted the fact that in order to get to the next big time and truly great Wrestlemania (Wrestlemania 10), I will have to suffer through a lot of mediocre to downright terrible ones filled with an insane number of matches (I think five alone has like fifteen matches or something?).

What more can be said. It is Wrestlemania III. It truly is the big time. Let’s see if it still holds up in well in this day and age.

The Can-Am Connection (Rick Martel and Tom Zenk) vs Bob Orton and The Magnificent Muraco (w/ Mr. Fuji) 5:37
***1/4

Hey look, it’s Randy’s dad again. And he’s actually competing in a match this time.

Jesus there are so much people. And it is helping big time with these matches already. The atmosphere is incredible. And it isn’t obnoxiously dark in the arena so you can actually see everything more clearly. It doesn’t look like a low budget production.

The match has a very electric start, which has been the norm with the Wrestlemania openers so far. Hopefully this one doesn’t piss me off as much as the second one did. The Can-AM connection dominates starting out, getting turns to unleash their fury on both Bob and Muraco. Maruco accidently hits his partner, but when they go for the pin on him, he doesn’t break up the pin.

That’s rude.

Even when Maruco is able to get himself a tag into the match, the Can-AMs still are able to keep the advantage on this side until Bob hits an illegal knee to the back of Tom. Neckbreaker and then diving forearm from Bob gives them the advantage. For once the opener to the match actually has a solid story being worked, and I am enjoying it. Rick Martel gets the hot tag and he is able to bring the advantage back to his team. Tom and Rick are able to work together to get rid of Orton and then use a high crossbody/trip combo to get the pin.

So, this was a pretty short match, only five and a half minutes. But you know what? I really enjoyed what I saw. One of the biggest things that I enjoyed about this match is that the better team that ended up winning were controlling most of the match. And sometimes, that’s the way it should be. In today’s WWE, in pretty much every single match except for very rare occasions, the team (or individual) that always wins is the one being dominated for most of the match. It makes the matches way too predictable for my taste. That simply isn’t the case here, and that wasn’t the case for the past couple of Wrestlemanias. This was a good match, and I am glad that the actual team not only controlled most of the match, but also performed like one and ended up winning in the end.

A good opener. I have no complaints.

Billy Jack Haynes vs. Hercules (w/Bobby Heenan) 7:44

Almost immediately after the tag team match ended, there’s a massive fucking glare from...something. I have no idea where it came from. Either way it almost damn near blinded me.

Another big difference noticed right away with the production of this Wrestlemania. Both men get their own entrance here, and come out on this moving cart that resembles a tiny ring. It is something different, unique, and just adds to this event feeling like a big deal, which it’s supposed to.

Also, I can’t help but notice that they keep calling Earl Hebner “Dave Hebner”. Does anyone know the story on this? That is Earl isn’t it? Am I missing something?

This match was a display of how strong both men are. Usually, these kinds of matches are pretty boring. But back then during these times, the pacing of the matches is a lot better. Because of this, it’s a lot easier to enjoy the matches. Pacing is a crucial part of making a match great. Regardless of the story you are trying to tell, it needs to be paced properly. If there’s one thing I can say about these older matches, it is that the pacing is significantly better in most matches. Hell, even the Hogan/Bundy match from the previous year's Wrestlemania was really well paced.

The whole point of this match I guess is who is the master of the full nelson. Hercules is the first one to go for it, but he is not able to get it fully locked in. Billy is able to fight out of it, and they both hit full clotheslines. If you’re wondering how far into the match we are, I’d say about five minutes. The action before this point was as I said before, a showcase of each other’s strengths and an assortment of moves in order to weaken the other opponent. It’s a basic story being told but it’s enjoyable none the less. Jack hits a series of clotheslines and hits a flying fist drop from the top turnbuckle. He then tries his hand at applying the full nelson but he’s not able to fully apply it. Hercules is able to drag him out of the ring to break it up. But Billy locks it on the outside but the ref counts them out.

Okay, again with the random countout out of nowhere. At least in this case they made it clear right away that this was a double count out victory. Hercules would hit Billy with his chain multiple times afterwards, clearly upset with the result of the match. He busts Billy open and hears loud boos for it. He slaps on the full nelson and that’s the end of that. I am not too mad about the count out even though they were once again not out of the ring long enough to warrant one (unless the rules were different back then, I really need someone to clarify this to me). One of the reasons why I am not so mad about it is because the whole story of this match was who is the master of the full nelson. And having the full nelson finally be locked in when they’re both on the outside and having it cost both men the match feels pretty poetic to an extent. I like it.

So overall, a pretty good match. And for a double countout finish, it wasn’t too bad.

Haiti Kid, Hillbilly Jim and Little Beaver vs King Kong Bundy, Little Tokyo and Lord Littlebrook 3:25
DUD

You know this is the 80s when literally everyone is referring to the little people as “midgets”. Also, King Kong Bundy went from main eventing Wrestlemania 2 to competing in a six-man tag involving four little people.

For a high acclaimed event, shit like this is just cringe personified. I just can’t take it seriously. Nothing against little people. But with the way they perform here, it’s pretty obvious we are not supposed to take it seriously.

Well, you don’t have to tell me twice. DUD rating from me. Moving on.

Harley Race (w/Bobby Heenan and The Fabulous Moolah) vs Junkyard Dog 4:22
**1/4

I don’t know what I hate more. The fact that Moolah is associated with this match, or that Harley Race is being wasted on someone like Junkyard Dog. I can’t help but notice that Harley is coming out to the theme that Jerry Lawler uses anytime he has his entrance. Harley Race is introduced as the “King of Wrestling”. I do not disagree with this claim.
Gotta love 80s heel work. It only takes ten seconds for Bobby Heenan to get involved in this match. Doesn’t matter though. Junkyard is still able to get shots in right away until Harley throws him to the outside, and follows with a diving headbutt from the apron which misses. Ouch. Junkyard does hit a clothesline over the top rope, only in this case Harley is on the apron and sent in the ring. A pretty cool spot actually. And he is then sent to the outside again. Junk scoop slams Harley into the ring from the apron. I’ve never been a Junkyard fan but he’s had some pretty unique offense. And in what I felt was a nice touch, Harley goes for the headbutt, but because Junkyard is known for using his head (being hard headed I guess), this actually hurts Harley and Junk takes back control. He does his stupid headbutt spot, but after a distraction Harley hits the modified belly to belly suplex and gets the win.

Okay, I know this involved Junkyard. I know this was short. I know Harley won after basically just hitting one move. But you know what? I actually liked this match for what it was. Despite it being short, they didn’t just do every move they could think of working at an extremely fast pace. They actually worked a decent pace, and we saw some unique offense from Junkyard. It was an enjoyable match and I can appreciate what they did what the time they were given. Anyways, Junkyard is forced to bow to Harley due to the stipulation of the match, and then hits Harley with the chair he was sitting on before. He wears Harley’s robe, and that’s all there is to it. What’s weird is after this, Harley’s music actually plays and he celebrates winning the match, but the commentators say “he’s clearly upset about it”.

Okay?

Either way I enjoyed the match. It was decent.

The Dream Team (Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine) (w/Dino Bravo and Johnny Valiant) vs The Rougeau Brothers (Jacques Rougeau and Raymond Rougeau) 4:03
**1/2

Before this match, we get Hulk Hogan’s famous promo. And it is just incredible stuff. I sometimes forget how incredibly skilled Hogan was as a mic worker, but he was on form here.

The Rougeau brothers do not get an entrance. These pre-match promos are getting pretty tiring all things considered. If they aren’t on par with what Hulk Hogan just did, I could really care less about them.

The Rougeau Brothers are the clear face team here, and they work as one. I can’t say enough about how much I really like the tag team wrestling of the 80s. There was a lot more emphasis on double teaming, even from the face teams, whereas the heels did much less of it, which is the way it should be. You want the face team to look like the superior tag team, and one way to do so is to make one look like a very well-oiled machine. I don’t have much to say as far as play-by-play commentary is concerned, because I’m beginning to realize that describing what happens move by move takes up too much time. And I still won’t even be able to get everything that happened covered. Just know that this was another very solid tag team wrestling match, despite being short. The match ends via Dino Bravo doing a diving elbow drop on one of the brothers doing a bridged pin attempt and the referee not seeing it. Brutus seemed unhappy with the way his team wins the match, and his team leaves without him. I’m assuming this is Brutus turning face. Either way, another short but very enjoyable match.

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper vs Adrian Adonis (w/Jimmy Hart) 6:33
**3/4

At one point in the video showing the events leading up to this match, for some reason the Wrestlemania 3 logo is shown over a brawl happening.
Oops.

I am really glad that Adonis has toned down significantly from the shit that we got last year. I never want to see that ever again. Piper actually comes out without a cart of his own and instead ops to run to the ring. It feels good to see this man get an actual match here instead of being stuck being associated with Mr T. Apparently this is his retirement match.

Right.

Apparently, this is a no DQ match because Roddy and Adonis both use a belt on each other. Adonis at one point does an HBK-like exit over the top turnbuckle to the outside of the ring after being thrown into it and that actually made my jaw drop. They had Jimmy Hart get the shit kicked out of him at first, with Roddy using him on two different occasions to mount direct offense against Adonis. This is one of the first matches that really feeds off of the massive crowd. Jimmy at one-point sprays what I think it hair spray into Piper’s eyes. And Adonis almost puts Piper away with a sleeper. But he lets go when he thinks that he had put Piper away. While they are celebrating, Brutus comes in and wakes Roddy up. Roddy knocks Jimmy out of the ring and puts Adonis into a sleeper of his own and he manages to put Adonis to sleep, giving Roddy Piper the win.

Well, if Brutus wasn’t a face before, he sure is now. Brutus proceeds to do a horrible job of giving Adonis a haircut. He actually has better lock using the trimmers than he does the razor cutter. It’s not a full-on bald head, but it's a haircut, I guess?

it isn't anything special. But once again, we have another pretty solid match all things considered. We aren’t having any long-substantiated classics, but we are having solid contests through and through apart from the little people six-man tag.

Well, thanks for everything Roddy Piper. See you again in two years.

Dangerous Danny Davis and The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart) (w/Jimmy Hart) vs The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith and Dynamite Kid) and Tito Santana 8:52
***1/4

Now this is a six man tag I can get behind.

BULLDOG SIGHTING. Jesse Ventura actually leaves with the dog which I found hilarious.

This Wrestlemania has been such an enjoyable experience so far. A lot of really solid matches and some very good ones, but this was on another level compared to those. They also get almost nine minutes of in-ring time, so that is always a huge help. If there was one complaint that I had, it’s that Davis and Santana are in this. Now I have nothing against Santana as an in-ring performer. He’s great in that regard. But I really wish this was just a Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs match. But the way they used Danny was brilliant. And Santana can’t really make a match terrible with his presence.

Also, Hebner isn’t refereeing this match. Coincidence?

Nah.

Every time Danny gets tagged in, he does an extremely cocky walk, hits literally two moves, and then just tags out. It’s hilarious. This is great stuff. But it ends up screwing them over and Santana comes in to beat the shit out of Davis. And the crowd goes WILD for this. Again, having this large crowd just helps so much in adding to the atmosphere to the event. Davey tags in and gets his turn at beating the shit out of Davis. And in a strange way, it’s actually satisfying to watch. I am loving every minute of it. This is what good storytelling can do. This is why it’s important. Eventually, chaos ensues as all six men brawl, but Davis gets the saxophone from Jimmy and he hits Davey with it to get the pin.

This was a really good match. I will not complain that it was only roughly nine minutes. It could have just as easily been only four, so I won’t complain. A lot of action with a nice and clear story being told. Danny Davis’ role in the match was very clear and it was used brilliantly. I do wish it could have just been a regular tag team match between the two tag teams, but it was still a good match no less.

Butch Reed (w/Slick) vs Koko B. Ware 3:39
*1/2

We get the other famous promo of this Wrestlemania where Bobby Heenan hypes up the main event match. He of course does a brilliant job building up this match. There are no words that can describe how little I care about this match, because I looked at the match card and I realize what is up next. But Koko does have a parrot, which I always thought as a kid was fake.

I was a very stupid kid.

Anyways, both guys have pretty impressive physiques. But I just can’t care for this match. It isn’t their faults. It’s just knowing what’s going to follow. This match is only going to be three and a half minutes long too, so at this point as far as I'm concerned this is just a piss match to get ready for the next one. I did decide to watch the entire match however. It wasn’t really anything special. It was just a match, that saw Tito Santana come in to help Koko after he gets jumped by Slick. I guess they have history as pointed out by the commentators.

One and a half star. Let’s move on.

Ricky Steamboat (w/George Steele) vs Randy Savage (c) (w/Miss Elizabeth) for the Intercontinental Championship 14:35
****¾

This, right here, is the match that many consider to be the true main event of this event. While I cannot deny the importance of Andre vs Hogan, it goes without saying that this is one of the most famous Intercontinental Championship matches in the history of the company. Both men consider this match to be one of the best they ever had with the company, and for good reason.

I’ve had people tell me this match is overrated, that it doesn’t age well. It is absolute nonsense. There are so many things that happen in this match that are still done even in this day and age, and even then, they aren’t done nearly as well. Telling a story that revolves around past injuries, including using multiple moves that involve said body part, fast paced action involving back and forth chain wrestling, quick roll up pins transitioning into the next move, lots of high-flying moves, etc. I have said a lot about the pacing of the matches throughout the night. But this is some of the greatest match pacing I have ever seen. Every move feels so impactful. Every moment feels so big. And part of that has to do with the very large crowd, which of course has helped every match that we’ve had tonight. But with this? Enough cannot be said about the pacing. Another thing that needs to be said is the execution. Because both men performed in the ring in their own unique way, every single move that we see not only has so much character brought into it, but you can actually feel the impact of each move. There’s little to no sloppiness. And everything falls into place perfectly. One of the reasons for this is that both men apparently rehearsed this match numerous times leading up to it. A lot of wrestlers prefer to call matches on the fly, and I myself prefer that as well as a viewer. Sometimes having matches rehearsed can make the matches feel a lot more fake, because you can tell where the moments are where a spot is planned out in advance. But Randy and Ricky are masters in the ring, and if there is anyone who knows how to do a properly rehearsed match, it's those two.

I’m going to stop right here, because there is so much more that can be said about the brilliance of this match. But I’d be here all night if I did. If you have not seen this match, see it. It is truly a legendary contest between two legendary in-ring performers. It has not only aged well, but it will continue to live on in Wrestlemania’s rich history as one of its finest matches. Easily top 10, if not top five.

The Honky Tonk Man (w/Jimmy Hart) vs Jake Roberts (w/Alice Cooper) 7:04
***1/4

A Jake Roberts match to follow up one of the greatest Wrestlemania matches of all time? Sure, why not? Also, so weird how different these times were. This is, what, the third or fourth match that Jimmy Hart has managed at this event? In this day and age, you’re lucky to get a wrestler with his/her own manager. But during these times, it wasn’t uncommon for someone to manage multiple wrestlers in different matches.

I also want to point out that I’ve only heard Jesse Ventura say “unbelievable” twice I believe.

This match is basically what I’d expect from a Jake Roberts match. A mixture of everything that makes a Pro Wrestling match work. Proper character work, good pacing and action, and that sweet old buzzword that Roberts was famous for: psychology.

Now, I’ve always gone by a different definition of in-ring psychology compared to most people. For a lot of people, in-ring psychology is the character work and ability to work the crowd. But to me, that is just a product of actual character work. In my opinion, the true definition of in-ring psychology is your ability to incorporate the story of the match to make what is happening in the ring appear real. And in that regard, Jake was the master. But then again, Jake was an expert in pretty much every aspect of in-ring work. This match is a clear example of that. Despite the shorter match time, there’s a lot less action compared to previous matches and a larger focus on character work instead. Each spot is built up through the use of working the crowd and letting the tension of the match build up. You feel the anger of Jake’s punches and moves. Each move that occurs feels as if he is thinking of his anger before each move. Everything that happens appears calculated. I can greatly appreciate a match like this. Instead of having as many moves incorporated as possible, they instead do a more character-based match based around the story. And that makes perfect sense given the characters of both men. This is the exact kind of match I expected and it’s what I got. And I really enjoyed it. Obviously, it is not going to be on the level of Savage/Steamboat, but it deserves its praise no less. Jake Roberts does not get enough credit for how great he truly was in the ring. He was ahead of his time, and if performing today, would have been considered one of the best of today's age.

Oh, and btw, ****** Tonk wins via roll up using the ropes. People liked winning matches via roll up back then.

The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff (w/Slick) vs The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair and Jim Brunzell) 5:44

This is the 11th match on the card. And I am feeling pretty burnt out at this point from all the matches that have occurred. And this is a legitimately good Wrestlemania. So, I have no idea how I’m going to make it through Wrestlemania 4-9, where WWF’s objective apparently was to get as many matches on the card as possible (and god help me when I get to Wrestlemania 34 and on).

This is a pretty generic tag team match. I don’t have much to say about it, especially when compared to the other tag team matches. It’s decent, but nothing to write home about. Hacksaw Jim Duggan came out at the beginning to stop the Russian National Anthem from being sung, and stayed at ringside. At one point, he chases Nikolia around the ring, ends up in the ring, and he hits Sheik with the 2x4 that he likes to carry around. We all know what that means: they win by DQ.

Let’s move on to the main event.

Andre The Giant (w/Bobby Heenan) vs Hulk Hogan for the WWF Championship 12:01
*3/4

And here it is. One of the most famous Wrestlemania main events of all time. We get the famous build up video for this match, including Andre challenging Hogan for the WWF Championship. Obviously, when talking about the greatest main event matches in Wrestlemania history, this one does not go down too favorably. No one is rating this top five in terms of quality. But it cannot be understated how BIG this match was at the time. It needs to be noted just how much attention this match got, and how many people were drawn to this event just to see this match. This was WWF’s biggest money match of all time at that point, without question. And because I don’t feel like looking up the actual figures and comparing it with today, for all we know it could still be top five. These two were without question the biggest stars of the time. In terms of name power, it is one of the biggest Wrestlemania main events of all time, easily top three.

With that said, I’ve never actually watched the entire match before.

Yeah, you read that right.

I’ve seen the legendary stare down, and heard the legendary line “the irresistible force meets the immovable object”. I’ve seen the body slam. I’ve seen the leg drop. And I’ve seen Hogan’s celebration after winning. I’ve also seen Andre’s hilarious turnbuckle pole botch. But I’ve never watched this entire match from start to finish. Kind of hard to believe right? One of the most famous matches in the history of the company. So why was that? Well, I just never really had any interest. I had always known that this match was a huge deal, but I never felt that this match would blow me away. So, because I’m doing this review, I will now for the first time in my life watch the entire thing, as well as give a pretty thorough review of the match, detailing what happens throughout the match.

So, let’s get started.

We start out with that legendary stare down. The legendary line. Both men just standing there, looking each other in the eyes. It’s a moment that will go down in history. It’s truly a moment where you feel like time stands still. After Andre shoves Hulk, Hulk responds with a punch and goes for a body slam, but he can’t lift him up, so Andre falls on him, goes for a pin and gets a two count. They start out with a slow pace, as Andre brings the fight to Hogan. Clubbing shots to Hogan’s back with his large arms, I’m hoping this isn’t what I’ll be getting for the entire match. Andre shows Hogan how its down and gives him not one, but two body slams with ease. He then proceeds to step on top of Hogan’s back.

It should be pointed out that, at this point, Andre’s knees were pretty much done. He simply could not go in the ring like he used to. That isn’t to say that he was Dynamite Kid in the ring or anything. But he simply could not go in the ring. The only thing they could really do here was work at a super slow pace that relies more on build up and working the crowd. Now granted, they do a decent job of that. But either way...yeah, this isn’t anything all that great. As a fan of the sport of Pro Wrestling, I can acknowledge despite how important this match was that the in-ring work is pretty underwhelming. But I can’t really expect anything less.

Andre misses a headbutt into the turnbuckle padding and Hogan uses this opportunity to deliver three running forearm shots to Andre. He then follows this up with ramming Andre’s head multiple times into the turnbuckle padding. But when he tries a clothesline into the corner, Andre counters with a big boot to stop the momentum. It’s absolutely incredible how into this match the crowd is. Andre slaps on a bearhug, and holds it in for a bit. Hogan breaks out of the bearhug and does a couple running forearms but to no avail. After a third attempt, Andre hits Hogan with an elbow and sends him to the outside with a big boot. It is at this point that I am wondering if the ref will do a surprise count out but we all know he won’t. We get Andre’s famous turnbuckle pole botch. Hogan exposes the concrete and tries doing a piledriver but Andre fights out of it and sends Hogan very gently on the concrete.

I will now take this opportunity to say that the count out rules at the time are absolute bullshit. I don’t care if the ref gets distracted at one point by Bobby Heenan. I used the “ten seconds reverse” tool for the network FIVE TIMES. And they were STILL on the outside. So, I can now say with absolute certainty that in both of those countout matches that I ranted about earlier (as well as the one that happened at Wrestlemania 2), the ref did not count to ten and basically just declared a countout the moment the two were out of the ring. Fuck right off with the special treatment here.

Both men go back in the ring, and Hulk is finally able to knock Andre down, who is still hurting from headbutting the turnbuckle. This is one of the most iconic moments of the match, as Hogan starts “hulking up”. Andre gets up, and Hulk body slams Andre. He follows up with a leg drop, and then pins Andre the Giant, becoming the first man to not only defeat Andre the Giant, but to pick him up off of his feet for one of the most iconic and replayed moments in the history of the WWF.

So... how well does the match hold up?

Well, let me start by saying this.

I can appreciate the story that they were trying to tell in this match. Hogan kept trying to knock Andre off of his feet. That was the key. But he simply could not do it, time and time again he tried and he failed. And only when he was able to make Andre headbutt the steel turnbuckle was he able to finally do so. And with Andre dazed enough, and Hogan “hulked up”, he was able to muster enough strength to finally body slam Andre, hit his leg drop and win the match. That, in of itself, is in-ring brilliance and it needs to be acknowledged.

... too bad the rest of the match exists.

As a whole, the legendary ending still does not make up for the majority of the match. There is a reason that ending is the only part that they ever talk about. Most of this match is very sloppy, slow paced, and nothing of note really happens except for when Hogan has any offense mounted. And part of the reason for that, once again, is due to Andre’s knees just being completely shot at this point. He just could not go in the ring anymore. And even when at his best, I’m not really sure if he would be able to have a competent match.
Dave Meltzer, if I remember correctly, gave this match a negative two-star rating. Frankly, there are a lot of ratings of Meltzer I do not take seriously, and that is one of them. There are enough good things in this match to prevent it from being a DUD, let alone something worthy of a negative rating (and in my book, a DUD and negative rating are basically the same thing). Is it a good match? No. But it does have some legendary moments that make it still worth at least watching. There is nothing here that is going to blow you away, but you are going to witness the moments that will make you understand why this match still gets talked about to this day. Hogan slamming Andre was a huge deal. Him beating Andre was a huge deal. Hell, just this match happening was a huge deal. Even though this match is definitely one of the worst on the card in terms of quality, it absolutely belonged in the main event.

I am going to be nice, and add an extra star for that legendary ending. And as a whole, that will bring the star rating for this match to... one and three fourths of a star.
Conclusion

So... does this Wrestlemania live up to the attention and praise that it gets? Well...it’s complicated.

Before I watched this event, I used to think this was basically just a one match show and that both this and Andre/Hogan were the only reasons as to why it was so famous. This was the first time I had ever even seen the other matches on the show. Before this viewing, Savage/Steamboat was the only match I had ever watched from it. And I was surprised at how much I was enjoying some of the other matches on here. The first two matches on the card are legitimately good. The sixth man tag was a lot of fun to watch. And of course, Andre/Hogan, despite not being a good match by any means, still had some of the most well-known and legendary moments in the company's history.
And then of course there is the Savage/Steamboat match. Two all-time greats in the ring at the top of their game battling it out for the Intercontinental Championship. And the result is one of the greatest Wrestlemania matches of all time.

But on the other hand, there are some clear negatives.

There are a handful of matches on this show that are basically just average, in large part due to not having enough time in the ring to really create something compelling. Jake Roberts was able to get away with it because he’s Jake Roberts, but he also had 7 minutes to create something very compelling out of it. Not everyone can do that. And then you have an in-ring legend like Harley Race who only has four minutes to work with. Did his match with Junkyard turn out better than expected? Sure, but it still wasn’t anything spectacular. Sometimes you can do everything possible with only a little amount of time to work with, but sometimes you can’t create a story if you don’t have enough time to tell it.

As a result, a good amount of these matches do not have enough time to really create anything. Most of them aren’t bad or anything, but they aren’t worthy of praise either. Because of this, it’s hard for me to remember most of these matches. When I watched Wrestlemania 19, I was able to remember almost all of the matches that happened on that show, because each one had enough time to create an impression on me. You can have that one match that is short but still very good, like that event did, but when you have them in multiples? It is just hard for all of those other matches to truly standout.

And then of course you have a match involving four little people. And that to me just does not merit spending my time discussing.

So, my final verdict is this: Wrestlemania 3 is a truly special event. It really was the first of its kind. THIS was the first time Wrestlemania truly felt big, because it was big. It was massive. It was an event sporting an audience of over 93,000 people. And it added to the atmosphere of this show. It had some legendary matches, for different reasons of course, but legendary matches nonetheless. It had iconic moments that will continue to be played until the end of time, or until WWE goes out of business. When I am finally finished watching all of these and officially rank them, this event will most certainly rank higher than all of the other Wrestlemanias that are in the single digit numbers, probably even the highest amongst all of them. But I also will not be surprised if it doesn’t crack the number ten spot. But hey, it also could for all we know.

So, with that all said, Wrestlemania 3’s overall rating for me is...

Final Rating: 6/10

Just to put this rating into perspective, the previous two events got a 4/10 and 2.5/10 respectively.

Unfortunately, this is the last truly good Wrestlemania that I’ll be getting for a while from what I understand. Up next is Wrestlemania 4, where that horrible streak of Wrestlemania’s begin. From here on out, there will be a LOT of matches for each show to go through with each event until we finally get to that point where the WWF decided to cool their jets and decrease the number of matches that they’d have on these shows. God help me.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Also, I can’t help but notice that they keep calling Earl Hebner “Dave Hebner”. Does anyone know the story on this? That is Earl isn’t it?
Nope. It's Dave Hebner. He was Earl's twin brother. WWF would later make use of the Hebner Brothers being twins in one of the greatest angles of all time.

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. It's Dave Hebner. He was Earl's twin brother. WWF would later make use of the Hebner Brothers being twins in one of the greatest angles of all time.
Interesting. I honestly never knew that he had a twin brother. Through my time reviewing and watching these Manias, I'm realizing that there is still so much that I never even knew about. I guess the Greek God of Knowledge still has room to learn.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You're doing a great job with these reviews, keep up the good the work!

I also did the same experiment last year by going through every Wrestlemania (1 to 36).

Thus far, your scores/ratings are pretty much the same as mine, since I always write down reviews of every show I watch in my personnal wrestling notebook. For instance, I respectively gave a 4, 3 & 6 for the first 3 Mania.

I gotta say that those early Wrestlemania's were a pain in the ass to watch at times, god it was awful. They were typically one match show, and if you were lucky, you had maybe one or two decent matches (Savage/Steamboat being the big outlier of the midcard, which I gave ****1/2).

I don't know how your level of enjoyment will turn out, but after watching every shows, I concluded that Wrestlemania was an average to decent show when I summed everything up. Not bad, but still disappointing, cause a show of this magnitude should always lean toward excellence instead of decency.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Imagine wasting your time writing a novel for something literally nobody cares about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts