Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're about a month shy before the 10 years after the horrible June weekend involving Chris Benoit, his wife, and his son. I don't really like to bring it up because it's so visceral, gory, and really depressing. I definitely will not being it up in June out of respect for his wife and son. But man I cannot believe to date that it happened. I wasn't watching the product as heavily in 2006-2012, so I wasn't too heavily invested at the time. In fact, baaed on what I had read then, I did not want to know more details. I finally mustered the courage to read the Wikipedia article on the incident today, and I was bawling while reading about his son and how Chavo had messaged Benoit, "I Love You", throughout the weekend that it happened.

Answer whatever you feel comfortable:

Do you think WWE has handled the situation well?
Do you think WWE is haunted by it/will ever go outside of PG?
Do you think Chris Benoit will/should ever be mentioned/referenced on the product?
Are you able to separate the Benoit character from Benoit's personal side?
Do you ever watch Benoit's matches?

I personally cannot watch a Benoit match. Every headbutt contributed to his actions. Every chair shot made it much for possible for the events of that weekend.

I will add that much was and still is unknown about the behavior of athletes with CTE, so I think we will never know what was going on in Benoit's brain that weekend. I won't villify him as a monster because I think he was severely mentally ill; however, Chris still made personal choices and a postmortem CTE-diagnosis do not absolve him from his crimes. RIP Nancy and Daniel.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
From someone who didn't start watching until after Benoit died....

You really wouldn't know he even existed as a casual fan. They really did a great job in erasing from history. But the moment you just go a bit deeper into the annals of history, he is there. What WWE has done is pretty much unprecedented for its time. Literally, erase someone from their history. It was bold, extreme, probably even unnecesary but in the end in did help people forget about him so the damage to WWE's image was minimal. Vince understands how important company image really is which is why the moment he found out that Benoit killed his family, he turned around and called him a monster on air. Again, a move that seemed unnecesarily extreme at first but Vince understands that it would help clear any misunderstanding by the public of this being WWE's fault.

It is already PG I think. Like I said, by pretending Benoit never existed, it caused minimal damage to the company's image. It should have no effect on them going more edgy. Being edgy or PG is purely a business move.

As a fan, yeah they should. As a businessman, nope not in a million years. Again, what would be the point of mentioning Benoit now? They've already gone this far. I'm of the I guess minority who feels like Benoit's work should be separated from the man. I mean people still appreciate Hitler's artwork of all things. But I can understand it'd be stupid to do that now. Extra question. Would you ethically put Benoit's matches on the network if the income went straight to his family who are basically the people who suffered the most? If the WWE were presented with this choice and said no, then they really are just business minded assholes. If yes, or no but they still provided for Benoit's family, then maybe not all bit corporations are rotten to the heart.

Benoit's character and personal side are two very different things. His character was just his character. His personal side like most people acted nothing like his character. It was just he went into a fit of rage and killed his family. Benoit's character was more than just this angry guy.

Barely watched his matches so can't really comment on how hard it is for me to watch them.

·
Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,531 Posts
I think they handled it the best they could. I still watch Benoit's matches often. I was only 8 years old when he died and he was one of my favorites. To this day, he is still one of my favorites. I don't ignore his in ring work and still think he is one of the best to ever do it, even if he is erased from existence. He'll probably get mentioned from time to time accidentally but not intentionally unless the WWE decides that, since a lot of time has passed, people won't feel so sour about the situation. They have gotten edgier countless times after Benoit's death and even allowed Bryan to use the diving headbutt, so I don't think that they're really bothered by it as much as around the time it happened.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They still mention him from time to time and hell Jimmy Snuka killed somebody and he's in the hall of fame.
With all due respect, the circumstances surrounding the two incidents are different, regardless of Snuka's possible involvement in third-degree murder. Benoit's case hits closer to WWE fans because we witnessed his journey culminate at Wrestlemania 20 with hia best friend Eddie Guerrero, who died 19 months earlier. Benoit's also hurts more because it was a tragic unfolding and premature. Not disrespect to the woman in the Snuka case.

Also, Benoit will and should never be in the Hall of Fame.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,070 Posts
A part of my WWE fandom died with this Chris Benoit tragedy. Benoit was one of my favorite wrestlers to watch in the ring no matter where he was on the card or who he was wrestling.

His matches with Angle, Regal, Finlay, Austin, Jericho, Lesnar, Edge, Orton, Eddie, Bret and many others are some of the most amazing matches I've ever seen. Since the tragedy I haven't gone back to watch much Benoit footage, but I'm sure some time I will want to see those physical bouts again because they made me a passionate wrestling fan. Benoit made me respect the craft and the sacrifices.

A decade removed, the entire ordeal is still heartbreaking. I recall the emotions from Monday Night Raw's 3-hour tribute that had me in absolute tears rolling over to the horrors realized on Tuesday.

A surreal tide of emotions from this tribute video (next to Eddie's "Hurt" video this is the saddest tribute)

To Mr. McMahon the following night:

The deaths and the media shit storm against WWE is the darkest time ever for me as WWE fan. May Nancy & Daniel RIP.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
To tell you the truth, I would like WWE to do more to combat CTE and other brain conditions caused by concussions.

They need to admit that it was a lack of a appropriate concussion policy in WWE and in pro wrestling in general that lead to Benoit's brain damage, and acknowledge that allowing him to do moves like the flying headbutt, which has been known to be highly concussion-prone for decades, played a huge role in Benoit developing CTE.

And they need to publically acknowledge that it was dementia caused by brain damage from concussions that caused his actions.

The NFL has done this already. They acknowledged that their lack of enforcement of concussion rules partly caused former players to development CTE, and admittedly their responsibility in any violence that was caused by mental illness that developed from CTE. If the NFL can do that, so can WWE.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I understand completely why WWE doesn't promote his matches or mention him but I don't see the harm in referencing him. There is nothing inherently wrong with saying the only two people to win the royal rumble from the number one spot is chris Benoit and Shawn Michaels and leave it at that. I don't really care either way though I understand their point of view

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
He did some great things in WWE. But at the end of the day, he still murdered is family. That fact doesn't change 10 years later. It doesn't change WWE's feelings towards him either. They handled the situation as best they could. They don't need to put him in the HOF or reference him again. Fans can surely find his old matches or whatever on YT or something if it means that much to you. But don't expect anything from WWE.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
As we learn more about CTE I think the opinions on Chris Benoit will change. I don't mean he'll be completely vindicated or absolved for what he did, because he shouldn't be. But I hope people will see that his inring choices, and at times reckless style, lead to serious brain damage causing mental illness and in turn lead to the horrific events that occured.

Based on the evidence I've read, not just in this case but in other cases of CTE, Chris Benoit wasn't a monster he was mentally ill.

One hopes that future wrestlers and wrestling companies learn from what happened and adjust their inring philosophy and styles accordingly.

That being said, he will never nor should ever be in the WWE Hall of Fame. McMahon was right when he said it's one thing to include him in a historical perspective it's another to promote him. I haven't watched a Chris Benoit match since the revelation of what happened and don't think I ever will. I tried once but for a litany of reasons had to turn it off.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I still remember that Raw and not even knowing what had happened until the Rest in Peace picture came up. That was crushing. I commend WWE for doing what they did after the facts came out.

·
Registered
17,556 Posts
If he's on a show I'm watching at the time, I don't skip it. Doesn't mean I condone what he did though.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do you think WWE has handled the situation well? Fuck no. Airing the west coast version of that RAW? I was hearing about the actual facts while watching the tribute since I'm on the west side.
Do you think WWE is haunted by it/will ever go outside of PG? I don't think this is the predominant reason why it's PG now.
Do you think Chris Benoit will/should ever be mentioned/referenced on the product? No.
Are you able to separate the Benoit character from Benoit's personal side? I don't think "fuck that murderer." when I see him. He seems like a tragedy case. Not to say I'm giving him a pass for what he did, but I just try to ignore it and think of the good times.
Do you ever watch Benoit's matches? Yeah. I enjoy his matches. I feel sadness when watching but it's not hard to get through them or enjoy them.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I have watched some of benoits matches but theres just something about the way he looks, hes just got a kind of dark psychotic look about him, especially in the last few years of his life.

I dont hate on wwe for not mentioning him, its the right call, he shouldnt be honored or remembered, you cant divide the wrestler from the man, doesnt matter what he did in his career, he undid all that because of the last 3 days.

had he only committed suicide then it wouldve been different but the fact he took the lives of two other people is inexcusable and unforgivable, the fact it happened over 3 days makes me run cold, it was clearly quite calculated rather than a rage.

I dont understand people who try and excuse such actions and say he still deserves to be in the hall of fame because "he didnt know what he was doing", he clearly did know, he took 3 days to carry it all out so it wasnt a frenzied set of actions inside an hour.

even if he killed his wife out of rage he still decided to carry on and kill his son a whole day or two later, your telling me this man didnt have some kind of realization over 72 hours of what he had done and should stop rather than doing more damage? even if he panicked and killed his son, it was still his call rather than facing up to it.

Reactions: Jam

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
This one hit me more than Eddie did as Benoit was in my top 3 favourites of all time

& it was a crazy 36 hours or something once word got out that he was a murderer

Fucked in the head, just will never understand why he had to take his family with him

You just cannot put this guy in the HOF, as that's meant to be a celebration & he should not be celebrated, & it's sad to say as I still feel like WM XX is one of the greatest moments ever, better than XXX by far, but it's so conflicting cause of what he did

I can still watch his matches on the network but I haven't really done so recently, I just remember the last time I watched MITB from WM XXI & I cringed at how fucked Benoit looked & then he did the headbutt off the ladder & I literally just cringed so hard..

He'd have died soon looking at his body, but this was the worst way to go out, completely tarnished no matter how you look at it. He literally put his body on the line every match & it was his downfall mentally & physically. Sure you can mention him in the record books as they're the record books but that's as far as it will go..

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.