Wrestling Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 2310 Posts

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,196 Posts
No defending that. That's an awful number, especially that third hour. Just glad Seth wasn't in the third hour. The top 3 storylines (2 of them including the top 2 titles for the men and women) (Drew/Brock, Becky/Shayna, and Edge/Orton) people just aren't buying into. And I was told last year's Road to WM with Seth feuding with Brock was going to be the worst ever and a 'bigger' guy going up against Brock would draw more, LOL. Didn't Brock/Heyman's promo main event last night? Yikes. Good luck to Drew and whoever the Women's Champion is after WM.

·
Registered
17,009 Posts
Hate to say this, but good. They deserve it. Putting on constant replays of long matches that most have likely seen give noone a reason to stay tuned. Least AEW is keeping it fresh.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Years and years of Vince compounding awful decisions with even worse ones has left them nowhere to go but down.

There is NO interest in the product. The brand isn't drawing. The "stars" aren't drawing.

Bringing in someone like Rob Gronkowski is a microcosm of how far from the the mark they are. "Interest in the company is down? I got it! Let's bring in an ex football player frat boy and have him dance on TV like a jackass!" That'll get em!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Okay, there are a tonne of variables for such a low number but it does show that people are not gonna sit through a 3 hour show and wait to listen to Heyman cut the exact same promo he has cut for the last 6 years.

6 years......

I mean The Rock debuted, went through a number of different alterations of his character, invented different catchprases, then went off to Hollywood in 6 years.

You got peak Austin from 96 to 02 which included heel turns, face turns, evolution of his character.

In fact if you switched on Summerslam 01, a lot on the roster were slightly tweaked characters from Royal Rumble 01, let alone Royal Rumble 95.

Yet you have Heyman delivering his same old schtick for years and years.

One word - boring

We've heard it all before.

And its not just a Heyman problem. Reigns is stuck in 2014 forever. Rollins has a new nickname but he is still the same guy he has always been. Becky has run through the entire womens division and her act is beyond stale.

WWE waa different in 01 than it was in 99. It was different in 96 to what it was in 93. It was different in 2005 to what it was in 2002. They constantly kept things fresh.

Yet now its been stuck in a same old same old for what seems like more of a decade now.

Heymans an all time great on the mic. Give me something new. Stop sleepwalking through the same script that ive heard for more or less 6 years.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I know their hands might be tied but I tune out as soon as they start showing old matches, especially when the commercial breaks stretch a 20 minute match to 45. Like no thank you.
Imagine if they re-ran the gauntlet match that Seth was in. With proper commercials, they could stretch that out to last the entire show.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I doubt we will see a regular show until mid-late May at the soonest. After the first week we have seen a drop each week. Maybe we see a bump next week but I doubt it will last past next week.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
lmao....you get the rating you deserve when you push geeks, women's wrestling, work rate, and g rated nonsense. None of that has ever drawn before. And it never will in the future. Can't wait to see Showstopper and Validreasoning defend this rating.

I'm wondering how low WWE ratings have to get before even their most ardent defenders say the show is terrible, the drop in viewership is terrible, and if changes aren't made that WWE will be off Cable TV in the next 5 years and relagated to network. Bc that's where this is headed. WWE is a niche product getting smaller and smaller.
It's not headed there. It's headed towards an acquisition by Disney or ESPN. And that will bring a different set of challenges - who would a Disney or ESPN place in charge of an acquired WWE? Would it be a HHH? Or would it a modern-day Jim Herd?

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's not headed there. It's headed towards an acquisition by Disney or ESPN. And that will bring a different set of challenges - who would a Disney or ESPN place in charge of an acquired WWE? Would it be a HHH? Or would it a modern-day Jim Herd?
A few months ago I would have agreed. But the pigheaded obsession with holding WrestleMania 36 shows Vince will always be old school carny, despite the fact he hates wrasslin. He'll pull the company back into the high school gym/regional promotion it was in 1970 rather than make sensible decisions or lose that chairman role. Hell, he nearly achieved rock bottom 25 years ago.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Okay, there are a tonne of variables for such a low number but it does show that people are not gonna sit through a 3 hour show and wait to listen to Heyman cut the exact same promo he has cut for the last 6 years.

6 years......

I mean The Rock debuted, went through a number of different alterations of his character, invented different catchprases, then went off to Hollywood in 6 years.

You got peak Austin from 96 to 02 which included heel turns, face turns, evolution of his character.

In fact if you switched on Summerslam 01, a lot on the roster were slightly tweaked characters from Royal Rumble 01, let alone Royal Rumble 95.

Yet you have Heyman delivering his same old schtick for years and years.

One word - boring

We've heard it all before.

And its not just a Heyman problem. Reigns is stuck in 2014 forever. Rollins has a new nickname but he is still the same guy he has always been. Becky has run through the entire womens division and her act is beyond stale.

WWE waa different in 01 than it was in 99. It was different in 96 to what it was in 93. It was different in 2005 to what it was in 2002. They constantly kept things fresh.

Yet now its been stuck in a same old same old for what seems like more of a decade now.

Heymans an all time great on the mic. Give me something new. Stop sleepwalking through the same script that ive heard for more or less 6 years.
Good point. Let's do 5 year increments:

Upper Tier Stars:
1990: Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Undertaker, Piper, LOD, British Bulldog, Big Bossman, Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, Jim Duggan
1995: Undertaker, British Bulldog, Brett Hart, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Razor Ramon, Owen Hart, Lex Luger, HHH, Yokozuna, Mable
2000: Undertaker, HHH, Steve Austin, The Rock, Mick Foley, Big Show, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, New Age Outlaws, Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Kane
2005: Undertaker, HHH, Big Show, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Kane, Shawn Michaels, John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, JBL, Rey Misterio Jr., Edge
2010: Undertaker, HHH, Big Show, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, Kane, Misterio Jr., Edge, CM Punk, Miz, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Del Rio
2015: Undertaker, HHH, Big Show, Chris Jericho, John Cena, Randy Orton, Kane, Miz, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt, KO, Lesnar
2020: Undertaker, HHH, John Cena, Randy Orton, Miz, Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt, Kevin Owens, Brock Lesnar, Edge, Bobby Lashley, Braun Strowman, Misterio Jr

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It's pretty clear that people were willing to give them a shot to see how they would do with the whole empty arena thing. After seeing just how bad of a job they're doing with it, they're bailing.

The last thing people would see before seeing Wrestlemania got a 1.64. Their biggest show of the year is FREE if you sign up for the network. This just tells me that people are not interested in WM at all

·
Banned
787 Posts
People are not interested in Becky Cringe, boring Rollins, a cosplay Steve Austin, boring Aleister Black, boring McIntyre. The only worthwhile things on RAW is Undertaker, AJ Styles, Street profits and Edge and Orton

1801 - 1820 of 2310 Posts