Wrestling Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 2821 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
You'd think they'd be trying something to renew interest because it's not just viewership. That would be worrying enough, but other metrics paint a picture of decline. Furthermore, the feedback from critical audience research and focus groups can't be impressive. Even if USA Network are happy for now it doesn't make it indefinite.

Bold decisions such as cutting 90 minutes off the show, making Raw TV-14, altering the name, hard reboot. Anything. Vince was once the master at changing direction when interest was waning. Even Turner brought in WWF writers, shaved an hour of Nitro and changed direction.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Edge/Orton is the only thing worth a damn on this show and even that segment under delivered compared to the previous segments although Edge pulling out an RKO was cool.

That is one of the worst 1st hours numbers I have ever seen that wasn't a Holiday. The only good thing about these numbers are that hour 3 did not drop very much and that was probably due to the Edge/Orton angle took place right as the hour 3 began.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You'd think they'd be trying something to renew interest because it's not just viewership. That would be worrying enough, but other metrics paint a picture of decline. Furthermore, the feedback from critical audience research and focus groups can't be impressive. Even if USA Network are happy for now it doesn't make it indefinite.

Bold decisions such as cutting 90 minutes off the show, making Raw TV-14, altering the name, hard reboot. Anything. Vince was once the master at changing direction when interest was waning. Even Turner brought in WWF writers, shaved an hour of Nitro and changed direction.
Is USA Network happy? They’re the ones that apparently created the 24/7 Title to Vince’s chagrin. Let’s face it, it’s buyer’s remorse all around.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I cant believe people are still blaming one or two people.

"If Owens was at the top of the card facing Brock instead of Drew then the show would be doing a 3.5"

"It's all Beckys fault. She loses 8 viewers every time she is on screen. Imagine if that was Asuku. The ratings would be 3.4"

How about the ENTIRE company is garbage? I have never known anyone to like wrestling or tune into a show for just one or two people.

I wasn't buying a ppv in 2000 because Rock was in the main event but the rest of the show was crap. I was buying it cos the whole show was good.

I dislike most of the show. There are no stars. The writing is terrible. The commentary is dreadful.

It is an absolute shell of itself compared to how good it was in its heyday so why do I bother watching?

Cos I like wrestling. Maybe I am a hardcore fan who will watch anything just because its wrestling?

Thats pretty much who is left. The hardcore fan who will watch regardless. Everybody else has been drove away.

And they havent been drove away cos of one particular event or wrestler. They have been drove away because they have decided the entire show from top to bottom is just not worth tuning into.

And that fan who has been drove away. Say they hear about Drew and give Raw a shot because they want to see his push. Are they sitting through 3 hours of garbage to get to Drew and giving up or are they enthralled by Rowans spider? Are they intrigued by Humberto flipping around like a circus act? Are they loving Shayna and Becky? Suddenly do they like Drew, Rowan, Humberto, Shayna and Becky? Odds are no.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Nobody gives a fuck about the WWE anymore. I'd say people don't care about wrestling too, but at least AEW and NJPW crowds are enthusiastic, despite having a weaker brand strength compared to the worldwide dominance of the WWE.

Every week I tune in and I see dead crowds, drastically declining ratings, diminishing attendance and nothing and nobody is stopping it. There is talent here, but they're all dead and buried and the ones they are pushing aren't offsetting it.

WWE marks keep saying that if the WWE dies it would be a horrible thing. That may be true. But at some point trash deserves to be thrown in the trash. They've burned up so much goodwill that when they do go under,nobody will feel sorry for them except the 500k or so diehards left at that point when it does.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Except for the fact that Hour 3 did better than Hour 2, and that rarely happens.

Biggest programs on Raw on this Road to WM are Drew/Brock and Becky/Shayna. Whatever the show draws is more on those 4 folks more than anyone else. Thus far, the Seth/Brock feud from last year on the RTWM is drawing more than Drew/Brock. Just saying.

They STILL do more than double of what AEW does, even the show after AEW crowns a new World Champion, WWE still does more than double that show.
Compare RAW to itself and not AEW, that comparison is worth absolutely nothing. Even still, this RAW was promoting Edge's return and was coming off of a PPV with an appearance by The Undertaker. Still, comparing the two shows is worth nothing.

RAW is down 650k year over year, and I don't know if anyone on here posts the quarter hours, but for a main event level guy, Seth Rollins is one of the most consistent viewer-losers in the company. He loses anywhere from 150-250k in all of his segments.

Nonetheless, it's a fault of no one but the inconsistent, star destroying programming they've been putting on for the last decade+, and to win new viewers to watch a 3 hour show is going to be exponentially harder than getting them to watch a 2 hour show.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It is absolutely shocking how much the WWE has destroyed their M 12-34 demo, there's a 5% drop year over year which is expected in instances, and then there's this.

M12-34, second Monday in March
20160314: 1.40, 1.47, 1.64
20170313: 1.04, 1.10, 1.12
20180312: 1.03, 1.06, 1.04
20190311: 0.87, 0.91, 0.88
20200309: 0.53, 0.57, 0.55

Each hour for the last 5 years for the 2nd Monday in March. Hour 3 in 2016 did a 1.64, Hour 3 in 2020 did a 0.55, they've lost 66% of their audience over the course of 5 years, this is the lifeline of the future of your company, and it's just getting obliterated.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,326 Posts
and to win new viewers to watch a 3 hour show is going to be exponentially harder than getting them to watch a 2 hour show.
Your last sentence sums it up and is all that matters in your post. Much harder to get people to watch a 3 hour show than any 2 hour show, yet the 3 hour show still does more than double the 2 hour show, despite the lack of stars.

Oh, by the way, all 3 hours of Raw this week were the most watched hours on Cable in the 18-49 demo...again, which it's done most of the weeks since NFL season ended:

Sorry to say, but as long as Raw is either at the top or near the top of this chart most weeks, it's not going anywhere and will continue to get paid top dollar by USA.

It took me awhile to realize that fact. But it's true.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Everyone knows they are at the top, but they are dropping at an alarming rate.

This isn't that difficult to grasp, they are being paid an obscene amount of money not only to be at the top, but to pull a certain baseline viewership. If they continue to drop at this rate they aren't going to be paid as much as they are.

AEW is a show that's paid $45 million a year, it's a brand new startup, it's not supposed to be pulling the numbers RAW is. The comparison is completely useless.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It is absolutely shocking how much the WWE has destroyed their M 12-34 demo, there's a 5% drop year over year which is expected in instances, and then there's this.

M12-34, second Monday in March
20160314: 1.40, 1.47, 1.64
20170313: 1.04, 1.10, 1.12
20180312: 1.03, 1.06, 1.04
20190311: 0.87, 0.91, 0.88
20200309: 0.53, 0.57, 0.55

Each hour for the last 5 years for the 2nd Monday in March. Hour 3 in 2016 did a 1.64, Hour 3 in 2020 did a 0.55, they've lost 66% of their audience over the course of 5 years, this is the lifeline of the future of your company, and it's just getting obliterated.
You are looking at the age breakdown exactly right. The younger end of their spectrum is leaving faster than the rest which means they are in trouble across all of their business flows. It’s younger people that buy merch and go to shows. Not 55+ types.

When it comes to WWE people get too caught up in the age demo, at least from the perspective that them being ranked so high in the key demo matters. It actually doesn’t because where their demos fall across all age brackets socioeconomically is horrible. Raw’s real value to USA is just in the overall number because USA keeps WWE around only to boost them up the charts on “most watched networks” rankings. It keeps them among the elite cable networks for rights fees and carriage if you will. The more viewers Raw loses especially relative to other shows the less value they have to NBCU.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I mean, it's clear that the 24/7 title and the wildcard thing were done in an attempt to energize the product. USA was the one that suggested these stunts. If things were REALLY hunky dory, they wouldn't have to suggest it, so I can't imagine they're pleased at the numbers they have been posting since WM34.

You can spin these numbers as being top of the demos every week or whatever, but USA sees the WWE as a long term investment and they're seeing these numbers dropping year over year at an alarming rate--they can't NOT be worried about what they will have on their hands 2-3 years from now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The numbers are going to be really bad come May, you would have to think they are going to have AJ and Orton lose, and Rollins/Drew might end up being your main event program, that's a YIKES from me, ratings disaster.

·
Registered
224 Posts
They STILL do more than double of what AEW does, even the show after AEW crowns a new World Champion, WWE still does more than double that show.
Yes, a wrestling show that has been building up its brand and been on the air for 25 years and has millions from tv deals to pay for staff, support and advertising is doing better than a show that's 5 months old about a company that's 1 year old. Shocking.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,326 Posts
Yes, a wrestling show that has been building up its brand and been on the air for 25 years and has millions from tv deals to pay for staff, support and advertising is doing better than a show that's 5 months old about a company that's 1 year old. Shocking.
They're also fresh, brand new, and don't have a 3rd hour. All good things that WWE doesn't have.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Imagine how close of a race it would be if AEW didn’t have head to head wrestling competition. They might be on the cusp of 1.5 million some weeks.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,264 Posts
This time last year on RTWM, RAW was close to 3 million, doing numbers like 2.7, 2.8 million.
There's no way people at USA are happy that a show they are spending 200 million a year on just dropped over half a million viewers in a year.
What television executive would be happy about a show that not too long ago was doing close to 4 million viewers this time of the year now barely doing 2 million?

1721 - 1740 of 2821 Posts