Wrestling Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1794 Posts

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
The WWE brand itself is ratings poison. As much as we try to pin it on any one person, the fact is we've seen them trot out Brock, Austin, Hogan, Flair all the big draws of the past and they've all had underwhelming effects on the ratings this year. With the exception of Rock (a true crossover star and worldwide name in Hollywood movies), none of them were able to produce a significant bump.

People just look at the company "WWE" and just tune out now. A lot of them just quit watching wrestling altogether, so bad is the product for the biggest wrestling company in the world.

Face it, pro wrestling is just a niche genre now fighting for scraps on the table.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Times have changed and things aren’t going so well in OUR eyes. But maybe we need to look back at the old and days and just say wow. That was quite an era.

Quick example. The rock coming on smackdown poppin off his old lines. Everybody in the crowd was reciting his quotes along with him lmao. U never see that now.

Times have changed and what we think are sucky ratings. USA is totally thrilled with lol. Even FOX is content. Idk. It’s been a huge drop since the old days but again so much has changed over time. WWE needs to step it up. But at the end of the day maybe sometimes we all need to sit back and say. For 2019 pre-scripted fake wrestling drawing these numbers is actually impressive.

I drank a bit. I could be talking out my ass but when I drink I look at things a little differently than normal. ??

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,220 Posts
They were down 1 percent in total viewership from last week coming off of what is supposed to be a Big 4 PPV bump, with an NXT invasion, against one of Monday Night Football's biggest blowouts of the season.
Monday Night Football has been stinking up the joint every other week with these 2, 3, 4 touchdown leads going into half time.
WWE couldn't have asked for a better game to fight than Ravens/Rams. It was a TOTAL blowout. 28-6 going into halftime and the game was 35-6 going into the 4th quarter for the third hour of RAW,
a total snoozer. For them to be be below 2 million against that is some truly frightening stuff.

5 years ago, their PPV bump show for Survivor Series doubled the total viewership and double the 18-49 demo. They have chopped their audience in half in the past 5 years.

The recent shows are even showing RAW is losing the over-50 year old viewers, the 55, 65, 75+ year old, hardcore, watching WWF/WWE on television for 30+ years, gonna literally die hard in front of their televisions watching Monday Night RAW diehards, are leaving. They can't even keep those people anymore!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Lowest Big 4 PPV Fallout
The Raw thread on this very site, which is where the supposed "diehards" still congregate, has 51 pages.

WWE is dead. This time next year all 3 hours will be below 2 mils. It'll probably happen sometime in December, but on a regular basis all 3 hours will be under 2mils starting in 2020.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I agree that it's on Vince more than anyone else, especially when you consider that ratings for Raw have been declining for 20 years. .
A steady decline isn't a problem. A rapid decline is. When you lose 50% of your audience in the last 5 years, the last 5 years are a problem. Not the 15 years before that.

What has the show been about the last 5 years? Who's been featured the most? You want your ratings killers, look there.

·
Registered
603 Posts
A steady decline isn't a problem. A rapid decline is. When you lose 50% of your audience in the last 5 years, the last 5 years are a problem. Not the 15 years before that.

What has the show been about the last 5 years? Who's been featured the most? You want your ratings killers, look there.
Speaking of the last 5 years, it's been 5 years since The Undertakers wrestlemania streak ended. I really think that is an understated reason for the ratings decline. It was probably the last thing left in wrestling people could believe in

60,000 Posts
11/25/19

2.109M
0.710D

11/24/14

4.246M
1.520D

In 5 years, RAW lost 50.33% in viewership and 53.29% in demo.
In 5 years, RAW lost 2.137M and 0.810D in absolute terms.
That drop is staggering and I doubt that they ever return.

I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the work you do in these ratings threads. I anticipate your very useful posts each and every week.. You're the MVP of the board as far as I'm concerned. Thank you. :clap

·
International Purveyor Of Violence
2,421 Posts
The recent shows are even showing RAW is losing the over-50 year old viewers, the 55, 65, 75+ year old, hardcore, watching WWF/WWE on television for 30+ years, gonna literally die hard in front of their televisions watching Monday Night RAW diehards, are leaving. They can't even keep those people anymore!
Not to be morbid, but those people are literally dying off. A good friend of mine passed last year, he was in his 60's but still watched everything, even Impact. He never missed a broadcast of WWE right up until the end.

The younger demographic did not grow up during the Golden Age and do not have the same emotional attachment as older fans. Nothing short of substantive, compelling, (and consistent!) storytelling will make people stick around. And instead of offering anything remotely like that, we get Rusev/Lana/Lashley doing a Jerry Springer routine.

·
Banned
894 Posts
It's time to make some phone-calls. Dust off the old go-to talent. Throw some mega-money to The Rock. Pretend like it's still The Attitude Era because yes, it's almost that time again...

Raw-iversary will be January 6th, or January 13th (The debut was January 11th, so it kind of falls in between for 2020).

:vince$ That'll get the ratings up dammit!

·
Registered
666 Posts
That's what happens when you centre your shows around a bunch of women, Cringy Lynch and portray them like stars all while you reduce the men's divisions to crap like forced babyface Rollins, Kofi, New Day, Corbin etc and talent like Orton, KO, and AJ Styles flounder in midcard obscurity. The WWE deserve even fewer viewers for having pushed trash like Cringy Lynch and women's wrestling opening and closing every Raw and multiple PPVs. You deserve it!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That's what happens when you centre your shows around a bunch of women, Cringy Lynch and portray them like stars all while you reduce the men's divisions to crap like forced babyface Rollins, Kofi, New Day, Corbin etc and talent like Orton, KO, and AJ Styles flounder in midcard obscurity. The WWE deserve even fewer viewers for having pushed trash like Cringy Lynch and women's wrestling opening and closing every Raw and multiple PPVs. You deserve it!
They paid dearly for the big Becky push and putting Ronda, Becky, and Charlotte in the WM main event. Two things happened during that time that had never happened before. 1) They had virtually zero ratings bump once the NFL ended, and 2) they had virtually zero ratings bump for the RTWM. I honestly believe that sped up their ratings decline by two years. For the first time ever Vince centered the company around something that he knew wasn't good for business all in the hopes that WWE would get good press from an agenda driven media complex. That approach was a massive failure yet it doesn’t seem like he learned anything from it.

·
C Mac G
5,964 Posts
The thing that drove away the most amount of viewers was the simultaneous push of Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins in 2015/2016, that point LITERALLY can't be argued. I'm looking at the numbers, and that is where it all started.

As it was mentioned before, the post Survivor Series 2014 edition of RAW did 4.2 million viewers, however, that's a bit of an anomaly since it was the night after Sting's return, fine, let's go back to 2013, they did 4.1 million viewers coming off of a Survivor Series that people generally hated.

What did they do in 2015? 2.9 Million viewers. That is not a typo, they lost 1.2-1.3 million viewers. All of this coincides with the push of Rollins&Reigns as 2015 was Rollins' major title reign, and they were still going hard with the Reigns push. The post Mania 32 RAW did 4 million viewers, down 1.3 million viewers from Mania 31.

I don't think it's Rollins' fault, as they booked him HORRIBLY during his title reign, but the facts are the facts. You can say ratings go down every year, and that's true to an extent, but the astronomical dropped happened in 2015-2016, and they are still dropping year over year.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
51,637 Posts

A steady 15 (and now 20) year decline is a problem. That's where it all started, and continued...for 15 years.

The show for the last 5 years has been about an old as fuck, out of touch old man, fucking up everyone's booking and making a complete and utter joke out of his company year after year.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The thing that drove away the most amount of viewers was the simultaneous push of Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins in 2015/2016, that point LITERALLY can't be argued. I'm looking at the numbers, and that is where it all started.

As it was mentioned before, the post Survivor Series 2014 edition of RAW did 4.2 million viewers, however, that's a bit of an anomaly since it was the night after Sting's return, fine, let's go back to 2013, they did 4.1 million viewers coming off of a Survivor Series that people generally hated.

What did they do in 2015? 2.9 Million viewers. That is not a typo, they lost 1.2-1.3 million viewers. All of this coincides with the push of Rollins&Reigns as 2015 was Rollins' major title reign, and they were still going hard with the Reigns push. The post Mania 32 RAW did 4 million viewers, down 1.3 million viewers from Mania 31.

I don't think it's Rollins' fault, as they booked him HORRIBLY during his title reign, but the facts are the facts. You can say ratings go down every year, and that's true to an extent, but the astronomical dropped happened in 2015-2016, and they are still dropping year over year.
I mean, that's what did it for me.

I have not watched a WWE show in its entirety since they had that charisma vacuum Reigns bury Bryan at Fastlane (2015 I think).

I saw where this was heading with Cena 2.0 and I was out.

1261 - 1280 of 1794 Posts