Wrestling Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1855 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another where are the stars moan.

WWE has no main eventers. Everything is ass backward.

In 1990 you had Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior
In 1997 you had HBK and Hart
In 2001 you had Austin and Rock
In 2011 you had Cena and Punk
In 2019 you have....... Bayley??

Lets be honest, Vince hasn't been booking WWE for a long time. The product is polar opposite of what it used to be.
Lol at listing Punk. He didn't do jack. And neither did HBK or Hart back in 1997.

HBK was more of an asset during 2005-2010 if anything because DX actually did good business in 2006 and again in 2009.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Meltzer said on the daily update that Survivor Series did 200K google research.

Usually a big 4 PPV do 500k or more research.

So that's maybe one of the reason for Raw's rating, Survivors Series generated way less interest than the past years.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
It comes back to the booking anyway. If Steve Austin was booked like Seth Rollins, he would not have been a draw. It's all well and good blaming talent that you don't like, but at the end of the day they are just puppets, it's the man pulling the strings that deserves the blame. The true face of the company.

:vince5

·
Registered
327 Posts
Another where are the stars moan.

WWE has no main eventers. Everything is ass backward.

In 1990 you had Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior
In 1997 you had HBK and Hart
In 2001 you had Austin and Rock
In 2011 you had Cena and Punk
In 2019 you have....... Bayley??

Lets be honest, Vince hasn't been booking WWE for a long time. The product is polar opposite of what it used to be.
Lol at listing Punk. He didn't do jack. And neither did HBK or Hart back in 1997.

HBK was more of an asset during 2005-2010 if anything because DX actually did good business in 2006 and again in 2009.
You're right, but they had triple the amount of viewers than these current lot have.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Keep in mind a lot of these viewers are getting old lol. And were watching back in the attitude era. That’s why it’s important for WWE To always keep the future in mind. always keep the future in mind. These guys aren’t going to be watching forever.

Not that I care but for their own sake that’s why they need to also focus on kids and young teens. That’s why I feel for Seth lol. For older people he sounds like a corny dork.
That doesn't make sense. The older people is WWE's biggest demo these days.

Becky is the only World Champion left from WM. For all of this overness I hear about, she's had 7 months to draw a rating for Raw, and well, it hasn't happened.
Saying draw a rating is pretty silly. Just for an experiment they should remove Becky from WWE and then you want to talk about low ratings?? By your logic. Not one of these damn wrestlers in the past two years has drawn a rating.

If you want a quick example on her impact look at last weeks nxt. Topping aew. First time ever. Only difference was her being there.

And when I talk about the older people laughing at seths corny lines. Don’t over analyze. A hardcore wrestler guru at 28 Is going to laugh if Seth drops a promo saying “guys I work really hard for this. Hard work pays off”. To The 28-year-old it’s going to sound damn corny ...to a young kid just getting into wrestling it’s going to sound like a strong heroic statement. I’m talking to much it’s good banter though. ????

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
51,731 Posts
Saying draw a rating is pretty silly. Just for an experiment they should remove Becky from WWE and then you want to talk about low ratings?? By your logic. Not one of these damn wrestlers in the past two years has drawn a rating.
Um, yeah. None of them have. Raw and SD have been losing viewers for awhile now. That includes everyone.

If you want a quick example on her impact look at last weeks nxt. Topping aew. First time ever. Only difference was her being there.
Or because Triple H literally invited the entire main roster to invade NXT at the end of Raw. And apparently the only reason NXT won was because of the overrun, which Becky wasn't in.

And when I talk about the older people laughing at seths corny lines. Don’t over analyze. A hardcore wrestler guru at 28 Is going to laugh if Seth drops a promo saying “guys I work really hard for this. Hard work pays off”. To The 28-year-old it’s going to sound damn corny ...to a young kid just getting into wrestling it’s going to sound like a strong heroic statement. I’m talking to much it’s good banter though. ????
They go by what their strongest age groups are, and right now that is older people. They're the ones watching the most.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You're right, but they had triple the amount of viewers than these current lot have.
That's got nothing to do with Punk.

The only noticeable bump in business WWE got from years prior was when Batista and Cena came on the scene in the mid-00s.

Other than that, it's basically been a steady decline until mid-2015 where there a big drop during Seth's run, which then stabilized to a decline in line with before between 2016-2018, and now the last year there's been another big drop. The only bumps during 2010s has been thanks to The Rock between 2011-2013 whenever he showed up, and during early 2014 where Batista showed up.

Hence why listing Punk as a "star" is laughable. He had no impact. His peak angle during the Summer of 2011 resulted in business being down from 2010 during the same period. The big difference maker in the early '10s was The Rock. If not for him, WM27 likely would've done less than 750k. His few appearances yielded some big results which helped them ride the wave quite a bit.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Or because Triple H literally invited the entire main roster to invade NXT at the end of Raw. And apparently the only reason NXT won was because of the overrun, which Becky wasn't in.
They still would have won, just by a smaller margin, according to wrestling observer anyway.

Apparently her promo and match with Rhea Ripley drew over a million viewers and tons of people switched to AEW after it, again, according to wrestling observer. She wasn't the reason people tuned in, as like you said, nobody was named, but people stuck around and watched her before switching over.

Blaming her is just as dumb as blaming Roman or Bray or Seth or whoever. Bad booking is bad booking. WWE have lost a lot good will with fans over the last several years. Blame the puppet master, not the puppets.

(and no, I don't mean Bray Wyatt :lol)

People continually blame talent when the problem is staring you all right in the face.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
51,731 Posts
They still would have won, just by a smaller margin, according to wrestling observer anyway.

Apparently her promo and match with Rhea Ripley drew over a million viewers and tons of people switched to AEW after it, again, according to wrestling observer. She wasn't the reason people tuned in, as like you said, nobody was named, but people stuck around and watched her before switching over.

Blaming her is just as dumb as blaming Roman or Bray or Seth or whoever. Bad booking is bad booking. WWE have lost a lot good will with fans over the last several years. Blame the puppet master, not the puppets.

(and no, I don't mean Bray Wyatt :lol)
I agree that it's on Vince more than anyone else, especially when you consider that ratings for Raw have been declining for 20 years. My post was in response to people blaming it on individuals on the show yet propping up their favorite as the lone draw, when no one has drawn. That's all.

·
Baby Yoda
29,356 Posts
Once WWE decided to push brand over stars it was over. They sacrificed potential mega stars for weak defeats all In the sake of devaluing them below the brand itself. It's easy, If the WWE doesn't care about its stars, the fans dont.
Raw got their ass whipped by a brand that is deemed as developmental and is getting their asses handed to them by AEW each week.

They better hope NXT beats Dynamite this week or this was a colossal fuck up.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
10,597 Posts
Jeez, give it a FUCKING rest already.

Over the past month, one world title was given to the biggest name in the company atm whereas the other world title was given to the hottest character the WWE has had recently; but yet the ratings are STILL terrible.

It does NOT matter who is the world champion. WWE will still struggle to keep fans from tuning out because they continue to deliver a lackluster/mediocre product on a weekly basis. The only chance they've got to win some of their audience back is if they continue to write out good shows every week like they did for Raw last night, which is probably going to take them several months to do.

NOBODY on the main roster is a big draw ratings-wise. Enough with using statistics to suit your twisted narrative against talents you dislike in order to justify pointing the finger and blaming the wrestlers themselves for the low ratings.

It's pretty obvious at this point that the ratings decreasing over the past several years is more of a company/creative problem than it is an issue with the individual talents.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
It comes back to the booking anyway. If Steve Austin was booked like Seth Rollins, he would not have been a draw. It's all well and good blaming talent that you don't like, but at the end of the day they are just puppets, it's the man pulling the strings that deserves the blame. The true face of the company.

I mean this is kind of making your point but the booking from Vince has ALWAYS been bad. Austin was booked like a geek thanks to Vince and was a nobody because of it. The only reason Austin broke out was because in a time of desperation Vince let Austin be himself and Stone Cold was born. I think last night was a similar situation for Seth where Vince threw his hands up due to the rejection of Seth and let Seth be more himself and it worked a lot better than the forced babyface character we’ve been seeing the past few years.
Jeez, give it a FUCKING rest already.

Over the past month, one world title was given to the biggest name in the company atm whereas the other world title was given to the hottest character the WWE has had recently; but yet the ratings are STILL terrible.

It does NOT matter who is the world champion. WWE will still struggle to keep fans from tuning out because they continue to deliver a lackluster/mediocre product on a weekly basis. The only chance they've got to win some of their audience back is if they continue to write out good shows every week like they did for Raw last night, which is probably going to take them several months to do.

NOBODY on the main roster is a big draw ratings-wise. Enough with using statistics to suit your twisted narrative against talents you dislike in order to justify pointing the finger and blaming the wrestlers themselves for the low ratings.

It's pretty obvious at this point that the ratings decreasing over the past several years is more of a company/creative problem than it is an issue with the individual talents.
I think it’s a problem with creative AND the individual talents. Unless you are seeing someone with big star potential that is being held down. I for one am not seeing that. Would top notch booking help for a better show? Sure. But give me a roster with huge star type talent and bad booking versus the alternative. I mean go back and watch those late 90s Raws. The writing and booking is pretty bad 90% of the time but when an Austin, Rock, DX come out you forget about all of the garbage. I think we’ve seen during the history of WWF that you can’t keep good talent down. A Ringmaster will become a Stone Cold, a Rocky Maivia will become The Rock, a Hunter Hearst Helmsley will become a Triple H, Ruthless Agression John Cena will become the Dr. of Thuganomics, Deacon Batista will become The Animal, and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's got nothing to do with Punk.

The only noticeable bump in business WWE got from years prior was when Batista and Cena came on the scene in the mid-00s.

Other than that, it's basically been a steady decline until mid-2015 where there a big drop during Seth's run, which then stabilized to a decline in line with before between 2016-2018, and now the last year there's been another big drop. The only bumps during 2010s has been thanks to The Rock between 2011-2013 whenever he showed up, and during early 2014 where Batista showed up.

Hence why listing Punk as a "star" is laughable. He had no impact. His peak angle during the Summer of 2011 resulted in business being down from 2010 during the same period. The big difference maker in the early '10s was The Rock. If not for him, WM27 likely would've done less than 750k. His few appearances yielded some big results which helped them ride the wave quite a bit.
Okay, I get you don't like Punk. Am neither here nor there.

My point was he is a star in relation to Bayley. Jeff Hardy is a star in relation to Bayley. Diesiel is a star....... Etc

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I can agree that he wasn’t a major draw, but he was a star. They put him on talk shows, his pipebomb promo went viral, 2K infamously wanted him on the cover of the videogame instead of Sheamus, and he had appeal outside of WWE.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
How much more evidence is needed that Becky Lynch is a flop and an anti-draw? (So is Seth but we've covered that plenty.)

Main evented Survivor Series, plastered over the poster, given plenty of advertisement heading into this event, and no one even cared to tune in the following day to see a follow up. The first hour number is still horrible which again shows there is simply no interest. If anyone cared, at least that number would be higher. But nope.

Like I said, it is going to take months and months of proper booking to rectify how badly they've damaged the show in the last 12 months. And sacrificing Raw at the altar of NXT, which I bet will be back down to 600-700k viewers soon enough, was probably one of the dumbest things you can do to a show that is struggling in terms of retention at the moment.
It wasn’t dumb at all. RAW is not up for renewal for five years. NXT is up much sooner. If WWE can get NXT consistently above 1.5M without drastically hurting the other two shows, they’ll snatch up a third, huge TV deal.

Secondary objective is to get TNT to cancel AEW and have Khan throw in the towel. That will ultimately lower talent costs for WWE, and further increase profit.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
It wasn’t dumb at all. RAW is not up for renewal for five years. NXT is up much sooner. If WWE can get NXT consistently above 1.5M without drastically hurting the other two shows, they’ll snatch up a third, huge TV deal.

Secondary objective is to get TNT to cancel AEW and have Khan throw in the towel. That will ultimately lower talent costs for WWE, and further increase profit.
Except that TNT doesn't care if NXT does better ratings than AEW as long as AEW does the ratings that TNT expect them to do.

1241 - 1260 of 1855 Posts