Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1794 Posts

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,219 Posts
They're still down from last year, but at least it isn't a total dive. And before people pooh-pooh the 2.3 million viewers for hour 3, hour 3 is a total death hour now with some hours this year hitting 2 million flat, I think one was even below 2 million or damn close to it. 2.3 million is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Drawing 2.3 million viewers in the 3rd hour is good for the standard of the time. Rollins' 3rd hour segments with Bryan, Styles, Zayn, etc have struggled to stay above 2 million in recent months.

WWE should push Lynch and Rollins into the background. And feature the Lashley/Strowman, the Club, and Undertaker more. That approach clearly worked this week.

·
Baby Yoda
29,300 Posts
The Lashley / Stroman thing worked. I bet the Seth / Becky / Mike / Maria stuff turned people off though. And clearly no one cares about AJ / Rico.
That's the highest third hour in a long time and is a slight drop from the first hr. AJ-Ricochet was also announced late in the show. Idk how you got that no one cares, when they did that number along with held strong last week. The second hr increase was probably due to Taker. I'm surprised it drew that well.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
That's the highest third hour in a long time and is a slight drop from the first hr. AJ-Ricochet was also announced late in the show. Idk how you got that no one cares, when they did that number along with held strong last week.
I’m speaking colloquially of course. To me it’s about retention. They usually drop 200k-300k viewers from H2 to H3 anyways. So the fact that they still dropped that much tells me that their win last night wasn’t H1 or H3, but it’s the fact that they did something in H1 to actually cause a big bump from H1 to H2. They still need to do a better of job of teasing something in the right way to curb that H3 drop.

And when was AJ / Rico being teased? Not until H3? I thought it started in H2 when that bigger audience was tuned in.

·
Baby Yoda
29,300 Posts
I’m speaking colloquially of course. To me it’s about retention. They usually drop 200k-300k viewers from H2 to H3 anyways. So the fact that they still dropped that much tells me that their win last night wasn’t H1 or H3, but it’s the fact that they did something in H1 to actually cause a big bump from H1 to H2. They still need to do a better of job of teasing something in the right way to curb that H3 drop.

And when was AJ / Rico being teased? Not until H3? I thought it started in H2 when that bigger audience was tuned in.
Yeah and they retained well last week... Meltzer even said that the main event matches had retained well (Rollins-Bryan and Ricochet-AJ). They did the rematch this week because it retained well last week. Idk when it was teased/announced, think it was in the second or third hr.

But that large audience (probably casuals) only tuned in for Taker as he was apparently teased from the start of the show and apparently stayed on TV for longer. I'm actually surprised Taker drew that well. Only thing that explains the big second hr.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Yeah and they retained well last week... Meltzer even said that the main event matches had retained well (Rollins-Bryan and Ricochet-AJ). They did the rematch this week because it retained well last week.
Yeah and that’s basically my point. It’s a rematch (a very recent one) and therefore perhaps people didn’t care to see it again for whatever reason. Obviously it was to set up an angle so either they didn’t do a good job of communicating that or people knew it was to set up an angle and that just didn’t interest them.

And I’m sure we all agree that even if giving away PPV worthy first time matchups is a way to retain viewers, it’s probably not the best answer.

·
seth will never be cool!
936 Posts
Taker tease was the draw. Hour 3 dropped 331,000 viewers from Hour 2. No surprise considering how piss poor the Becky's bitch and Maria's bitch segment was. :Cocky

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'd figure the Undertaker return is what popped them this week after Taker came out of nowhere last week. Taker still holds interest from fans, even if he has overstayed his welcome. Probably the interest of a Heyman-booked RAW was there, too. In terms of the ratings they were getting, this was good but long term, this will amount to nothing if they can not consistently keep the rating afloat.
Taker in his full getup still looks exactly the same as he did in 2007. The intrigue in seeing the Undertaker live is still a factor. It's only when he gets in the ring to wrestle that the magic wears off. Hulk Hogan was supremely past his prime in 2006, but he was still the selling point for me to go to the last Raw I ever attended. I don't believe Hogan ever came back to Cleveland, so I got to see him for the last time in my hometown.

It's like seeing The Rolling Stones, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, etc... People will still pay to see their favorite acts from when they were younger

1,832 Posts
Heyman, hot start with Lashley and Strowman & hyping The Undertaker for hour 2 are the reason for the upturn imo.

Big hosses like Lashley and Strowman clobbering eachother will always draw more than the little gymnasts, whether the IWC wanna admit it or not.

Not bad given recent standards.
Kudos!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I was looking at the ratings of the top tv shows and all their ratings suck especially shows such as empire or Atlanta. A lot of these popular shows are doing sub 1m. I can’t hate on wwe’s ratings anymore due to the way television viewership is declining. The fact that wwe programming are the top rated shows on cable television tells a lot. With all that said, wwe needs to do a better job with the shows.

·
Registered
867 Posts
2.4 is fantastic in today’s television climate. Dude wake up this is not 99 or 2001 nobody watches cable. Most top tv shows draw 500k viewers. Also raw and smackdown are the top rated shows on tv.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Nice rating this week. That is an improvement for sure. The bar has been set so low so an improvement like that is big news. Have to like the 2nd hour for sure. Encouraging.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Momentary spike because of all the fake hype about Heyman being part of the creative. It will settle back down in the next few weeks once the novelty wears off.

·
Ho!
17,539 Posts
Still an 8% decline year over year. Not good numbers at all - especially not good that this is an improvement and looks good compared to recent weeks.

Undertaker may have brought an uptick, but as we’ve seen in the past with part-time wrestlers who start showing up weekly, even their impact eventually gets down to nothing.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Still an 8% decline year over year. Not good numbers at all - especially not good that this is an improvement and looks good compared to recent weeks.

Undertaker may have brought an uptick, but as we’ve seen in the past with part-time wrestlers who start showing up weekly, even their impact eventually gets down to nothing.
Agree 100%. The ratings might of been decent this week, but look at the overall picture. The ratings are down from last year. I attribute the ratings bump to Heyman this week, but that won't last.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,219 Posts
Instead of thinking year over year drop, instead think about the company as having a pre-Shield and Brock focal point era and now the Shield-And-Brock Era. It depends where you want to set the cut-off point for the transitional period to the main focus being Brock Lesnar and Shield members, but maybe saying the transition away from Cena and others after Punk was out the door and Bryan was shelved for medical reasons could be started in say, July 2016 when the UT was instituted and the first champ being Finn Balor in August as the beginning of a sort of "transitional champion" period to Brock Lesnar and Shield members.

The numbers at this period of time all reliably were competing for 3 million an hour and over 3 million for the show overall. In June and July 2016, you can read reports on ratings and viewerships like, "Ratings down big from last year" and then see every hour was above 3 million. Whereas if you read a report about ratings being down big overall, that means the numbers are down 20 percent or more from where they were in 2018, and every hour was sub-2.5 million with the third hour close to 2 million flat.

Only going back 1 year is covering this "Universal Era" up quite a bit. Go back 3 to 5 years and the drop off is crazy. Its much bigger than the dropoff in viewership for television in general now. They are not "falling with style" anymore, they are just free-falling.

It really is something to see a show go 2.5 million/2.7 million/2.3 million and have people praising it. Everything is not fine. They need to consistently build on these numbers to even get to so much as 1 hour hitting 3 million viewers.

41 - 60 of 1794 Posts