Wrestling Forum banner

3121 - 3140 of 3185 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
This exemplifies what I’ve been saying for awhile. Whatever leftover fans WWE has left doesn’t watch pro sports. They’ve lost the frat boy and athlete types and I think all that is left is kids, parents, and Comic-con types.
I don't think it's even the kids anymore tbh. The show is too long for them - the kids who follow WWE will do so via their iPads/short online video clips. I know that's how my nephew and his friends followed it a few years ago.

It's Comic Con types, parents who have remained fans since childhood, and parents who are Comic Con types! I agree, these are less likely to watch pro sports.

WWE and pro wrestling is very much on the lower end of a entertainment subculture thing thesedays, similar to: Warsies, Trekkies, horror franchise lovers, Anime fans, hardcore gamers etc.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
1.6 overall and 1.5 in Q3 wow. SMH.
Haha convenient you round down rather than up to make a point lol. 1.68 is a 1.7 if you are rounding.

With NFL first week, the rating didn't change much from last week so its not bad at all.

AEW, NXT & Smackdown would lose their average rating significantly if they were opposing the biggest show on TV, NFL too.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
NFL ratings are way down. The Sunday Night game which had Cowboys-Rams (2 major markets) was down 28% in demo. I don't know what it says that the NFL is losing viewers by about the same rate WWE is.

·
C Mac G
6,408 Posts
Or people don't see him as a top guy? Not like they haven't tried like hell to make him a top star. He beat Orton clean.
They changed his theme to dork music, made him look like a dork, DQ finish in first match, beat Orton fair, went 50/50 with DOLPH ZIGGLER, DQ finish with Orton again, DQ with Drew.

That's not how you make a top star, they killed him. Saying he beat Orton is like saying Riddle beat AJ, it doesn't matter, they were killed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
  • Steelers at Giants: This game drew 10.8 million viewers on ESPN, down 21% from the early game opener during Week 1 of the 2019 NFL season
  • Titans at Broncos: Drew 7.7 million viewers, down a whopping 38% from the late game last year.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
NFL ratings are way down. The Sunday Night game which had Cowboys-Rams (2 major markets) was down 28% in demo. I don't know what it says that the NFL is losing viewers by about the same rate WWE is.
I don’t know that it says much if we’re looking for a correlation other than they’re both trending down. The similarities end there (well, you could argue both products are overexposed). But the NFL could fix their ratings overnight if they wanted to. WWE can’t say that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Despite of some games showing a drop in ratings, there is this:

The Thursday night game and the Monday night games mentioned were not anticipated to be as good of matchups. Perhaps people are just more selectively watching. It'll be interesting to see how ratings play out for different games throughout the season.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Despite of some games showing a drop in ratings, there is this:

The Thursday night game and the Monday night games mentioned were not anticipated to be as good of matchups. Perhaps people are just more selectively watching. It'll be interesting to see how ratings play out for different games throughout the season.
The Sunday night game should have blown everything away. It was a great matchup with two huge markets. But it was down big. Probably a lot of the boycotters wanted to see Brady as a Buc because they like Brady and of course the curiosity factor. I don’t think there’s any way to spin the horrendous ratings for the NFL. Some people will probably come back as the political stuff will get slowly phased out as the weeks wear on. But some will never come back if it doesn’t happen fast enough.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The Sunday night game should have blown everything away. It was a great matchup with two huge markets. But it was down big. Probably a lot of the boycotters wanted to see Brady as a Buc because they like Brady and of course the curiosity factor. I don’t think there’s any way to spin the horrendous ratings for the NFL. Some people will probably come back as the political stuff will get slowly phased out as the weeks wear on. But some will never come back if it doesn’t happen fast enough.
Exactly, NBA is way down too. People are tired of overpaid crybabies shoving politics in their face

·
Registered
919 Posts
They don't know how to introduce wrestlers anymore. Either all rushed and needy or 50/50 booking.

To casuals and non NXT viewers Lee is a big guy with boring name and bizarre costume who suddenly appears on Raw one night to confront Orton with a dull heel like promo, despite being a face. Within a a few weeks he's wrestled Orton twice, Rollins, Ziggler in a long match and face vs face match with the world champ. A few months worth of material fast tracked.

No time to digest + rapid overexposure = diehard fans saying's crap and casuals thinking 'meh'. So then they have to rush a turn or put a midcard title on him. But midcard titles on babyfaces needs build to have any real effect.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Great matchup? The Rams were mediocre at best last year, have little to no hype around them this year, and no one in LA cares about the NFL. I don't think anyone but Cowboys fans or fairly hardcore NFL fans were excited to watch that game.

Pointing out data that directly contradicts your observation, in an already far too small sample, isn't "spin."

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Great matchup? The Rams were mediocre at best last year, have little to no hype around them this year, and no one in LA cares about the NFL. I don't think anyone but Cowboys fans or fairly hardcore NFL fans were excited to watch that game.

Pointing out data that directly contradicts your observation, in an already far too small sample, isn't "spin."
You picked 1 example out of 6 time slots and tried to make it a positive. It’s like a team starting out 1-5 and then trying to talk about how great things are because of that one win. That’s spin.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You picked 1 example out of 6 time slots and tried to make it a positive. It’s like a team starting out 1-5 and then trying to talk about how great things are because of that one win. That’s spin.
An NFL team starting out 1-5 represents 6 weeks of data, over 1/3 of the entire regular season. We are talking about a set of data points all clustered in Week 1, one of which strongly contradict the observation.

My only point is that this is not enough data to make any conclusions about the NFL's viewership this year. If a few weeks in, ratings are consistently down compared to a year ago, then that's a different story. Again, we shall see.

As a point of interest, here is a graph showing average viewership of the NFL year to year in the past decade. As you can see, it steadily declined between 2015 and 2017 before rebounding in recent years.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
An NFL team starting out 1-5 represents 6 weeks of data, over 1/3 of the entire regular season. We are talking about a set of data points all clustered in Week 1, one of which strongly contradict the observation.

My only point is that this is not enough data to make any conclusions about the NFL's viewership this year. If a few weeks in, ratings are consistently down compared to a year ago, then that's a different story. Again, we shall see.

As a point of interest, here is a graph showing average viewership of the NFL year to year in the past decade. As you can see, it steadily declined between 2015 and 2017 before rebounding in recent years.

Nobody is making conclusions about an entire year. We are making conclusions about one week and what that could mean for the future. Which is very easy to do since we can compare the week 1’s of previous years. I don’t see how week 1 can bode well for the future but that doesn’t mean that the NFL might now tweak some things going forward that could help. In fact that’s the point I’ve been making all along. WWE can’t change things, but the NFL can if they want to. You mention previous yearly trends which illustrates my point perfectly. When the NFL mires itself in political controversy their ratings go down. As they distance themselves from it, they rebound.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nobody is making conclusions about an entire year. We are making conclusions about one week and what that could mean for the future. Which is very easy to do since we can compare the week 1’s of previous years. I don’t see how week 1 can bode well for the future but that doesn’t mean that the NFL might now tweak some things going forward that could help. In fact that’s the point I’ve been making all along. WWE can’t change things, but the NFL can if they want to. You mention previous yearly trends which illustrates my point perfectly. When the NFL mires itself in political controversy their ratings go down. As they distance themselves from it, they rebound.
Very well. The discussion seemed to be building toward some sort of false narrative that ratings are down in the NFL, therefore it's no big deal that they're also down with RAW. In reality, viewership for the NFL the past several years has been generally climbing since hitting a low number in 2017 (to your point, a year when demonstrations/kneeling were high), and there can be no conclusions drawn about this year yet.

I'm sure that the political aspect of things could be part of the NFL's initial ratings this year. You may be right in saying that if they didn't include that, they would rebound. By contrast, the WWE's problem is that RAW is a trash product, has been for years, and honestly deserves a worse rating than it gets most weeks.

·
Registered
771 Posts
V1 | D1: 1.746M [19th] | 0.510D [5th]
V2 | D2: 1.692M [21st] | 0.500D [6th]
V3 | D3: 1.565M [23rd] | 0.480D [7th]

3V | 3D: 1.668M | 0.497D

H2 | H1:
[ - 0.054M | - 3.09% ]
[ - 0.010D | - 1.96% ]
H3 | H2:
[ - 0.127M | - 7.51% ]