Wrestling Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 3185 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Multiple polls have shown that people don't like politics in sports and they are watching less NBA because they thinki it is too political. Gallup released a positive/negative opinion on sports and sports are now seen negatively due to years of being too political. Ratings are in the toilet and "the leagues are too political" is sited as the major reason at least twice as often as "i dislike watching sports without crowds." For the NBA, "league is too political" is sited as more of a reason for people watching the NBA less than the NBA not having live fans, the NBA having a low quality of play and officiating and the NBA's involvement with China close to put together.

The NFL was just as political, maybe even more so, than the NBA. If they just stuck to sports, they had a chance. But a year of a season like this, and NFL's ratings are going down at least 20 percent and people's opinion of the NFL in polls will be in the toilet, and the reason given mostly for this is, too much politics in the NFL.
RE: the sentence in bold

“The league has become too political” was the clear choice for the decline, with 38% of respondents. “Boring without fans” captured 28% of the vote while the NBA’s association with China caused 19% of sports fans to turn the dial, another nod to a league Trump labeled a “political organization” last week after players boycotted games in response to a police officer shooting Jacob Blake seven times in the back in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

28% + 19% = 47%. So the difference between those who claim "the league has become too political" as the reason for watching fewer games versus those who cite "boring without fans" and the China association is 9% (and that's not including the 3rd factor - "low quality of play" that you mentioned) . If you regard 9% as a "close" difference, then surely you have to accept that the 10% difference between "the league has become too political and "boring without fans" is also close?

From that same Forbes article

While 39% of sports fans say they are watching fewer games, 32% answered they are consuming more basketball this summer (28% say the same amount). Harris did not ask those fans why they were watching more.
So an even "closer" gap between those who are watching fewer games and those who are actually watching more.

NBA ratings are in fact down overall through the first round of the playoffs compared with last year, but it’s hardly an apples-to-apples comparison. Summer TV viewership typically lags springtime watching, when the playoffs are normally aired. This year, the overall numbers are skewed by the need to air games during the day to accommodate a playoff calendar that has been condensed because of the pandemic. Ratings are up over last year’s playoffs for the games that have aired in prime time.

The NBA scored its largest audience in months — and cable’s best first round playoff audience in two years — with Wednesday’s Game 7 nailbiter between the Rockets and Thunder.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,538 Posts
For all the people who bitch about ratings, last night's NFL season opener is down 12.3% from last year's season opener. It's also down in the 18-49 demo from last year's 12.8 to last night's 5.2. It's their lowest season opener rating in 10 years. So, even the NFL is drastically down, as are NBA Playoffs.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
For all the people who bitch about ratings, last night's NFL season opener is down 12.3% from last year's season opener. It's also down in the 18-49 demo from last year's 12.8 to last night's 5.2. It's their lowest season opener rating in 10 years. So, even the NFL is drastically down, as are NBA Playoffs.

That's because of all of the political bullshit they're doing.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
That's because of all of the political bullshit they're doing.
The political stuff has been hurting them for awhile but I think this year it is hitting a boiling point. It’s not even a Democrat or Republican thing as I think most people hate politics in general and want nothing to do with it. NFL and NBA should be blowing their recent years out of the water given that people have fewer entertainment options. WWE has no marketable talent which is why their numbers are tanking. The NFL and NBA don’t have that issue. It really is apples and oranges even though the trend is the same.

·
Registered
771 Posts
V1 | D1: 1.812M [16th] | 0.520D [6th]
V2 | D2: 1.734M [18th] | 0.520D [5th]
V3 | D3: 1.521M [20th] | 0.450D [8th]

3V | 3D: 1.689M | 0.497D

H2 | H1:
[ - 0.078M | - 4.30% ]
[ +|- 0.000D | +|- 0.00% ]
H3 | H2:
[ - 0.213M | - 12.28% ]
[ - 0.070D | - 13.46% ]
H3 | H1:
[ - 0.291M | - 16.06% ]
[ - 0.070D | - 13.46% ]

W-W:
[ - 0.036M | - 2.09% ]
[ + 0.020D | + 4.19% ]

Y-Y:
[ - 0.583M | - 25.66% ]
[ - 0.220D | - 30.68% ]

·
C Mac G
6,398 Posts
Keith Lee Vs. Drew Mcintyre First Time Ever and fell off hard in the third hour, damage has been done to Lee or people knew it was going to be a fuck finish, or both.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
This exemplifies what I’ve been saying for awhile. Whatever leftover fans WWE has left doesn’t watch pro sports. They’ve lost the frat boy and athlete types and I think all that is left is kids, parents, and Comic-con types.

·
Registered
674 Posts
This exemplifies what I’ve been saying for awhile. Whatever leftover fans WWE has left doesn’t watch pro sports. They’ve lost the frat boy and athlete types and I think all that is left is kids, parents, and Comic-con types.
Last weeks number was down because Seth wasn't on.

That is why this weeks numbers isn't that bad compared to last week's number. The fans who didn't watch last week because Seth wasn't on tuned in this week. Some others tuned out because of the football.

·
Baby Yoda
30,042 Posts
Keith Lee Vs. Drew Mcintyre First Time Ever and fell off hard in the third hour, damage has been done to Lee or people knew it was going to be a fuck finish, or both.
Or people don't see him as a top guy? Not like they haven't tried like hell to make him a top star. He beat Orton clean.

3101 - 3120 of 3185 Posts