Wrestling Forum banner

2821 - 2821 of 2821 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I and other people thought hockey and baseball being back would murder Smackdown. I said, 5 hockey games and 11 baseball games, Smackdown will get murdered. Nope. Not so fast. Smackdown actually slightly increased in total viewership last week. The impact of sports on wrestling will be less because there's fewer total people and far fewer casual people. Now, if it were like 6 or 7 years ago and there's 4 or 5 million total viewers of a RAW and there's opening day basketball or a good Monday Night Football game or hockey playoffs like Stanley Cup or something like that, RAW took hit. But when there's 1.7 million people left? Its not going to be that big of a hit. There's not much to lose and the overwhelming majority of watchers are smarks and hardcores and lifers in their 30s, 40s,50s,60s+ who have been watching pro wrestling forever as their major, possibly even sole form, of television entertainment.
It’s been awhile since sports had much impact on WWE. The last few years the NFL season would end and the ratings would only tick up a small amount. And as you pointed out that cross over is becoming less and less. I think for the most part the fans that are left are not the sports watching or athletic types. And that is especially true of the hardest core fans.

2821 - 2821 of 2821 Posts