Wrestling Forum banner

261 - 280 of 2981 Posts

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
The problem with those shows is that they don't give the desire to watch the show the Week after.

In my opinion you are wrong here brother, it puts more eyes on the product so current talent needs to really step up their game when they do get TV time, and the diminishing return won't be absolutely terrible the FOLLOWING week, so they really really need to shine then, because if they don't, rest assured the week after people will tune out.

We will see that trend in the next few weeks. I def won't watch next week but will look at the ratings...I expect the ratings to trend the way I just said to be honest.

Would have been nice if they would have saved the Lashley/Strowman stunt for after this show. Would have had more people interested probably.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There's really nothing on TV anymore is there? That list just shows being the most watched program means nothing now. Yikes.
There's nothing on cable TV. Network TV still draws huge numbers for various shows.

I really doubt any taped show on TBS, TNT, Discovery, History Channel will ever outdraw a live show (be it sports, wrestling, or news).

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
People rather see retired stars than flipper champs.

Same company as last week, so it isn't creative that are turning people away. It's the people on the show.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,271 Posts
Even with the bump, that's an atrocious rating.

Even more atrocious in that no one had the competence to use the bump as a catapult for a big angle, instead, they made the majority of their current stars afterthoughts.
They do a bunch of bells and whistles stuff to pop the viewership by over 600,000 people, and every hour is just barely above 3 million viewers.

3 years ago, the third week of July had the McMahons announce general managers for the brands before the draft and had a Rollins/Ambrose title match. Fairly big stuff, but nothing too crazy.

Hour one: 3.20 million
Hour two: 3.23 million
Hour three: 2.96 million

Hours 1 and 2 had more viewers than any hour tonight. It was the same for the whole year of 2016, comparable to superior viewership every hour on do-nothing RAWs.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Low 3s? Okay so they did better...but.... investors are not going to be stupid to say oh yes they jumped high one week so they're suddenly becoming good I bet you guys anything next Monday goes back down to the twos mid to low

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,271 Posts
"Ah, I'm past it! I don't understand the business anymore, what's hip, what's cool. You guys figure it out! I'm old and out of touch!"-Vince McMahon in the mid 1990s

"I know what you want more than you know what you want"-73 year old VKM

The 1980s and 1990s in American wrestling was like the 1960s and 1970s in music.

"Ah, what do I know what draws anymore? I'm an old coot in my 50s and 60s. You guys figure it out, if it sells, it sells."

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I think Austin is a bigger draw than the Rock at this point unless Rock comes back for an actual feud which I think is a real long shot. People know they will get safe, not controversial Rock. With Austin, he’s still watered down but not as much as Rock.
The wrestling smarks maybe, but Rock is a bonafide movie star though, which will still draw the casuals who necessarily don't care about eras.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
Vince announces their results on Thursday, so I believe WWE just squeaked this monster episode in just before the wire, so he could talk about hope, and not despair.
That is exactly the reason they did the Reunion show this Monday, it wasn't jsut a random choice.

Problem is they were expecting 3.5 million and hoping maybe even over 4 million.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The wrestling smarks maybe, but Rock is a bonafide movie star though, which will still draw the casuals who necessarily don't care about eras.
Rock is definitely a 1000x more mainstream than Austin but I still maintain Austin would spike the ratings of Raw more than The Rock would (all things being equal). But, it’s an impossible thing to know for sure I suppose.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
The Rock's previous appearances prove that he's a serious draw for ratings, but even then, I don't think he breaks 4 million (which would be a miracle for WWE at this point).

·
Spanish God
1,029 Posts
That is exactly the reason they did the Reunion show this Monday, it wasn't jsut a random choice.

Problem is they were expecting 3.5 million and hoping maybe even over 4 million.
The earnings are for last quarter which ended in June, these numbers won't help those. Plus it was reportedly USA that asked them to do this to boost ratings, not wwes idea to begin with.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
So because I didn't really see a solution in your post or another reason besides the standard response "product sucks".

What exactly would be a good number ratings wise in today's world. If the show was top notch, product is excellent. Doesn't suck. Give me the average rating the show would have to pull in on a weekly basis, that you would personal say. Hey, WWE is running on full steam right now. Excellent product. Go.

I'm not going to give you an average rating, but they could be doing a hell of a lot better if they proved to their audience as well as the casual viewer that the product was exciting to watch on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I'm not going to give you an average rating, but they could be doing a hell of a lot better if they proved to their audience as well as the casual viewer that the product was exciting to watch on a consistent basis.
Not going to give me an average rating? Then how can you justify if the show is doing well or not? Isn't that the whole point of this/these threads. People come in here to bash and to laugh at the ratings and use those ratings to say WWE sucks and Vince sucks, and the writers suck, etc...

I'll tell you why you won't. Imo, if they ever hit that mark in the ratings, then people wouldn't have anything to complain about and these threads wouldn't exist. The show this Monday did a 3 share basically. Again said it a thousand times , no matter how good the product is, pulling numbers like the RAW/Nitro wars is a very slim chance to ever be seen again. TV is just not built like that anymore. People also forget, that back then, Internet and gossip rags were not even relevant. Nobody knew anything. You tuned in each week, and watched the stories unfold. Now, if for example, a wrestler gets fired or gets called up from NXT, or all that behind the scene stuff. Audiences know about it. There's zero surprise. It's like we have the script each week.

Current example. Everyone and their mother is hearing about Charlotte vs Trish at SS. (nothing confirmed of course) Years ago, you would never hear any of that. You heard it when it was officially announced TV. It was "must see TV" Don't watch, you missed out. Now, if you don't watch, come to this forum(and others), go to the WWE youtube pages, fire up twitter/instagram of any WWE wrestler, and tons of other avenues.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Not going to give me an average rating? Then how can you justify if the show is doing well or not? Isn't that the whole point of this/these threads. People come in here to bash and to laugh at the ratings and use those ratings to say WWE sucks and Vince sucks, and the writers suck, etc...

I'll tell you why you won't. Imo, if they ever hit that mark in the ratings, then people wouldn't have anything to complain about and these threads wouldn't exist. The show this Monday did a 3 share basically. Again said it a thousand times , no matter how good the product is, pulling numbers like the RAW/Nitro wars is a very slim chance to ever be seen again. TV is just not built like that anymore. People also forget, that back then, Internet and gossip rags were not even relevant. Nobody knew anything. You tuned in each week, and watched the stories unfold. Now, if for example, a wrestler gets fired or gets called up from NXT, or all that behind the scene stuff. Audiences know about it. There's zero surprise. It's like we have the script each week.

Current example. Everyone and their mother is hearing about Charlotte vs Trish at SS. (nothing confirmed of course) Years ago, you would never hear any of that. You heard it when it was officially announced TV. It was "must see TV" Don't watch, you missed out. Now, if you don't watch, come to this forum(and others), go to the WWE youtube pages, fire up twitter/instagram of any WWE wrestler, and tons of other avenues.
The static rating isn’t the issue, it’s the trend. If they were treading water at 2MM to 3MM and only dropping a percent or 2 a year it wouldn't be a hot topic. But when you can measure year over year drops in the hundreds of thousands and in the 20%-ish level (sometimes way more) then it becomes an issue. Especially when these networks paid huge for the future of a product that was producing X at the time of negotiation and now it’s producing .80X and dropping.

You especially can’t blame the people in this thread for seeing viewership as a major concern when NBCU and Fox feel the same way.

261 - 280 of 2981 Posts