Wrestling Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2366 Posts
2,141 Posts
I was told by the dorks around here back then on 2018 that WWE would get lesser deal compared to their deal at that time and yet they come 2019 they received the biggest tv deal that a wrestling could ever get.

Conclusion: Smarks don't know ajy shit about wrestling business. I wouldn't be surprised if WWE gets a same if not even better tv deal on 2024 too.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I was told by the dorks around here back then on 2018 that WWE would get lesser deal compared to their deal at that time and yet they come 2019 they received the biggest tv deal that a wrestling could ever get.

Conclusion: Smarks don't know ajy shit about wrestling business. I wouldn't be surprised if WWE gets a same if not even better tv deal on 2024 too.
First of all, nobody that was following the story thought WWE was taking a pay cut. Vince predicted WWE would double their rights fees (they didn’t) and their ratings were on an uptick. It was clear their timing was great.

But I have to ask, do you think if WWE continues to lose audience at the same clip they have since the new contracts kicked in that they will do better than last time contract wise? They are now losing viewership at a much faster rate than the average.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

WWE was averaging around 3.2 million viewers in the year leading up to that last deal being signed. They now average 1.8 million and that number will probably get worse over the next several years. If your audience is cut in half, it's doubtful you'll get paid the same. WWE probably sells their business, or they put all their stuff on WWE Network. Every TV show is eventually cancelled and WWE is on it's last legs just like any long running soap opera

·
Registered
544 Posts
WWE was averaging around 3.2 million viewers in the year leading up to that last deal being signed. They now average 1.8 million and that number will probably get worse over the next several years. If your audience is cut in half, it's doubtful you'll get paid the same. WWE probably sells their business, or they put all their stuff on WWE Network. Every TV show is eventually cancelled and WWE is on it's last legs just like any long running soap opera
Sometimes it doesn't even matter about ratings. WCW in 2000 were still rating higher on TBS and TNT than every other scripted show they had. Hell, viewership was in the same ballpark as 1991-1994. But one major corporate decision and they are dead.

I'd be surprised if NBC gives a shit about USA Network in 3 years. Certainly not enough to drop 1 billion on a business worth 3 billion because NBC overpaid in the first place.

·
Registered
745 Posts
V1 | D1: 1.827M [14th] | 0.550D [3rd]
V2 | D2: 1.790M [16th] | 0.550D [4th]
V3 | D3: 1.595M [23rd] | 0.480D [6th]

3V | 3D: 1.737M | 0.527D

H2 | H1:
[ - 0.037M | - 2.03% ]
[ +|- 0.000D | +|- 0.00% ]
H3 | H2:
[ - 0.195M | - 10.89% ]
[ - 0.070D | - 12.73% ]
H3 | H1:
[ - 0.232M | - 12.70% ]
[ - 0.070D | - 12.73% ]

W-W:
[ - 0.009M | + 0.52% ]
[ + 0.034D | + 6.90% ]

Y-Y:
[ - 0.388M | - 18.26% ]
[ - 0.136D | - 20.51% ]

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The Raw discussion thread has 225 comments. A random Raw thread from November 2015 that I bookmarked since it was the last time I watched a live Raw start to finish had over 2,000!

It's sad. I kind of miss the old threads. So many people just gave up once Reigns was done burying everyone and it was clear nothing was going to change with Vince in charge.

Reactions: Chan Hung

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The Raw discussion thread has 225 comments. A random Raw thread from November 2015 that I bookmarked since it was the last time I watched a live Raw start to finish had over 2,000!

It's sad. I kind of miss the old threads. So many people just gave up once Reigns was done burying everyone and it was clear nothing was going to change with Vince in charge.
Really don’t think we can blame Reigns. The last time he was getting the mega push the ratings ticked up. Then last year after the Becky stuff just absolutely killed the ratings Reigns came back and they ticked up again.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Really don’t think we can blame Reigns. The last time he was getting the mega push the ratings ticked up. Then last year after the Becky stuff just absolutely killed the ratings Reigns came back and they ticked up again.
Reigns is a star and attracts casuals. The current geeks don’t draw. Reigns actually looks larger than life compared to half the roster

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
10,815 Posts
Reigns is a star and attracts casuals. The current geeks don’t draw. Reigns actually looks larger than life compared to half the roster
We’re actually the geeks here. Of course we’re not going to draw casual fans :p

For the record, no single wrestler in WWE really draws anymore.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I am pretty sure it was interest around Ronda Rousey's debut and is Brock Done that caused that slight bump up.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
They deserve that embarrassing rating after deciding that opening and closing the show with Charlotte was a good idea.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I blame their main event booking of their champions from 2015 forward. Let's see:

April 2015 - Nov 2015: Held by a cowardly heel champion in Seth Rollins aided by numerous outside factors (J&J Security, Kane)
Jan - Apr 2016: Held by a part-time heel world champion in HHH
Apr 2017 - Aug 2018: Held by a part time heel world champion in Brock Lesnar who only appeared a handful of times a year
Oct 2019 - Mar 2020: Held by a part time heel world champion in Brock Lesnar who only appeared a handful of times a year

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
As a fan of the product for life, i must say this that this may be worse than the Diesel era. I tune in and its unbearable. Smackdown isn't great but it's a tad better. The problem is the storylines are shit, the characters are bland and boring and you know it's bad when the Raw re runs on youtube (short 30 second-1 min) videos don't excite you.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I am pretty sure it was interest around Ronda Rousey's debut and is Brock Done that caused that slight bump up.
Reigns was the focal point of that WM. Sure Brock and Ronda contributed too but my point is that Reigns was not a negative. All I’m saying is that Reigns gets blamed for the ratings falling off a cliff and the history doesn’t back that up. It’s pretty clear when fans tuned out in droves and the WM “bump” ceased to exist.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Larger than life looks don't bring ratings. Larger than life personalities and charisma do. Reigns has the look of a star but has no charisma and a dud personality. The Rock,Hogan, and Austin brought huge ratings because of their larger than life charisma and personality. People overestimate how many casual viewers Reigns attracts. If he attracted such viewers, then why do the ratings still suck when he was on top?

2181 - 2200 of 2366 Posts