Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 8705 Posts

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
I can't wait for Starrcast 2019!

Tony Khan running the company, Chris Jericho not signed but is on the radar.
Jericho got hooked with great seats at the Vikings Vs. Bears game because of Khan. He's definitely involved in some capacity.

- Vic

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,270 Posts
I think he'll stay with NJPW but would work with them if they have a working relationship with AEW.
If he stays with NJPW that is fine with me and if they do get a working relationship with both companies than it's a win win for both parties. Plus Naka's contract is expiring soon and I would love for him to join AEW.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
Actually thinking back on it, AEW talks could be exactly why WGN decided to back off on the Impact deal :hmm:.
There was also rumours of SyFy with Impact but I imagine WWE would be pulling a thousand and one strings to stop that at NBC due to SyFy's coverage and past with Smackdown/ECW.

Man if they raid WWE :proud

I know it's very unlikely they get the top stars and the quality of talents they sign is on the TV deal.

Punk would also be a good addition.
Doubt Jim Ross has his hand in the honey-pot with the current WWE crop. I think the most that connections would reach, would be Cody talking up guys like Dolph, Ryder and (a long shot) Orton. Finances would have to be greater and WWE would probably match the best buyer when considering Orton however so 2% probability.

As someone who has only ever watched one Kenny Omega match, knows The Young Bucks from their TNA stint, and all (though, I did watch All In), I 'get' that I'm probably not on this 'hype train' that people are on.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the promotion works out, regardless of whether or not I'm a fan of its direction (it'd be nice to have something to watch though, I stopped regularly watching WWE months ago), but I await people to get wwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy ahead of themselves as usual - which makes it all more cringe worthy. Some of these 'RIP WWE' comments online elsewhere have made me :HA already.
You can't take reactionary comments as a reason to think down on an idea, though. It's a pipedream at most for the person saying that.

·
No Mercy
1,471 Posts
You can't take reactionary comments as a reason to think down on an idea, though. It's a pipedream at most for the person saying that.
When you have people stating that they could raid WWE talent, that Vince is worried, and such - you know people just need to calm down a bit.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool news, hope it works out for 'em, but yeah - people too ahead of themselves already. Not trying to talk it down, just wish people would look at it realistically.

·
Baby Yoda
29,550 Posts
When you have people stating that they could raid WWE talent, that Vince is worried, and such - you know people just need to calm down a bit.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool news, hope it works out for 'em, but yeah - people too ahead of themselves already. Not trying to talk it down, just wish people would look at it realistically.
Raid? Isn't that inevitable... they're going to end up signing WWE wrestlers who aren't happy. It's only a matter of the ceiling of star they get. Unless Vince pays everyone over to keep them.

·
5,600 Posts

It's the potential contentious brand warfare people have been wanting for 2 decades. Of course the resources are not on an equilibrium and many things aren't decided or even thought of. But people getting genuinely excited for it is good advertisement. People "smarter to the deal" will know the realities they face but now a company potentially has the 8 figure per annum resources to make some very interesting moves.

You'd be naive if you also didn't think Vince was worried. Would he be worried about survival? No, obviously. Not everything is life or death, black or white. He'd worried that talent expenses may go up. He'd be worried about wrestlers pulling rank and leverage. He'd be worried about a % of the market share in his monopoly has left his hands. That another organisation has the opportunity to re-invent the creative wheel. And he'd also welcome that. You should want this to be life and death.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Raid? Isn't that inevitable... they're going to end up signing WWE wrestlers who aren't happy. It's only a matter of the ceiling of star they get. Unless Vince pays everyone over to keep them.
They have to be the PSG/Manchester City of wrestling in order to do that. WWE is still WWE though, the only possible people at the moment would be guys like Ziggler or lowcarders without any TV time.

·
5,600 Posts
Impact,MLW and LU is about to become even more thin.
Impact may suffer for not building on the connections with NOAH, WOS, AAA and NWA. It looks like they spoiled everything to try get NJPW back? Their womens division is going to get raided by AEW and the rest is probably scraps for NXT and ROH.

Doesn't look like to me that the American scene has enough "third tier" wrestlers. The writing has been on the wall for Impact/MLW that the scene was going to pool together and they might get left in the dust.

·
No Mercy
1,471 Posts
They aren't even established yet, and people are suggesting this. It depends on WWE contracts, but believe it or not - I say most are probably happy enough to stay in WWE, simply 'cause it's WWE (and believe it or not - folk want to make it there), they're well paid, and why take the risk on a promotion not even established? Besides, WWE are a powerhouse. Even if a situation like this were to arise, they'd have all the money in the world to get talent. Vince is known for that dust he spreads. Genius at it.

EDIT: If anything, Impact, LU, and such should be the promotions worried. Unless some sort of partnership deal(s) could be cut.

It's the potential contentious brand warfare people have been wanting for 2 decades. Of course the resources are not on an equilibrium and many things aren't decided or even thought of. But people getting genuinely excited for it is good advertisement. People "smarter to the deal" will know the realities they face but now a company potentially has the 8 figure per annum resources to make some very interesting moves.

You'd be naive if you also didn't think Vince was worried. Would he be worried about survival? No, obviously. Not everything is life or death, black or white. He'd worried that talent expenses may go up. He'd be worried about wrestlers pulling rank and leverage. He'd be worried about a % of the market share in his monopoly has left his hands. That another organisation has the opportunity to re-invent the creative wheel. And he'd also welcome that. You should want this to be life and death.
He probably will definitely have his ear out to see if any of that were to arise. I'd be shocked if mentions of this new company wasn't at least mentioned in meetings and so forth. However, there's bigger problems to worry about - TV deal, XFL revival, ratings, whatever's goin' on in the product right now (that I have no clue about, as I'm not watching on a regular basis), and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't given Cody advice, like he did for the PPV those guys had. I doubt he's shaking in his boots, like folk would love to believe. We've seen this excitement with other promotions before. Granted, many of them didn't have a billionaire backer, but I doubt they're a Ted Turner type person :shrug we all saw what happened there.

Just think folk need to tune down the excitement levels just a bit down :p it's good news, but as expected, folk get too ahead of themselves. I hope it works out, regardless of whether I'm a fan of the overall direction of the business right now or not.

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
This one is the big white whale. Even a quarter of the NJPW talent pool is worth probably $10-20m for AEW. Secure that and you are probably adding that money onto any TV deal they secure. Bullet Club alone playing the role of Suzuki-Gun in NOAH (without the drawbacks NOAH suffered) would be big. And the Bullet Club vs the Elite should be the first major angle they do on TV.

But I'd guess the deal with NJPW relies on AEW and ROH relations.

161 - 180 of 8705 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.