Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 8705 Posts

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Re: AEW - All Elite Wrestling (The Elite/Jericho/Ross/Khan) - New Promotion?

Outside of some copyrights for a few names, is there anything at all that says there's going to be a new promotion?

Do they have the financial backers lined up? Especially the kind of big money names that would be required for the major financial risk that this would have. Like it or not, wrestling is less popular now than it's been in generations in the United States. Even the top dog in the business is in panic mode right now. Right now any potential financial backers would be out of their minds to "get in the wrasslin business". So I can't imagine that many people would just be giving Cody their checkbooks. This means likely that the few they might find won't exactly throw money into the thing by the handfuls.

This becomes a problem for the second major thing they need to really form a new organization, talent. Good talents aren't free, and they damn sure won't be overly eager to sign contracts with a unproven product. People are getting their panties wet talking about dream team Rosters and frankly everyone needs a dose of reality. They will have to overpay to get any talent of that caliber. This is what plagues new promotions everywhere. Again people talk dream rosters but don't talk about the price tag involved with them. A price tag that any new upstart promotion would be running deep into the red trying to afford. But lets just say they convinced their financial backers to accept the first four or so years of being in the red potentially. You also have to contend with the reality that every star you have, would give their left nut to wrestle for the WWE. I know a select few wouldn't, but most would unless they are complete idiots. The widespread exposure alone is more than any upstart could hope to offer.

Assuming you get the money and the roster figured out. You still need some way of actually putting on shows and reaching your audience. Lots of dumb people chiming into this sadly. I've seen people suggesting they don't need a tv deal, they can just do a live traveling shows, or just do Internet streaming like the network(without the teni of millions of dollars annually that wwe puts into the network to make it run as smoothly as it does)...it's not the 1950s anymore people, no tv deal, no promotion! You can't run a promotion on just having a few big events a year. People suck Cody's nuts because he put on one show that he hyped for a year that did 10 thousand. Why do people all the sudden think this makes vince shit his pants? Maybe from laughing so hard...

Lastly people...Jim Ross has said openly he has nothing to do with this, Jerico has never said anything about it either so stop putting their names on this shit
Something is definately happening as evidenced by the tweets Cody has teased us with and the recent episodes of being the elite. Cosy was also seen in the press box with Shahid Khan at a jags game a few weeks back. Add this to the trademarks that have been filed and the fact Jericho is close with the Elite and you have more than enough to assume this has some legs.

Once again, money isnt an issue to Khan. All he needs is a reason. See Wembley Stadium for an example of his capital. He pulled out, but he had the means. If Cody can sell him on his vision, odds are Khan will go all out to aid him in its creation.

·
Registered
455 Posts

I'm assuming some of the viability of this stems from the possible relationship with Shahid Khan. If Khan is willing to put his check book out there Ted Turner style, then they have more than enough to have grounds for a major promotion - TNA started with much less.

They will have to compete with the WWE, but fact is - WWE can't sign everyone. I also would not be surprised if the company is ran more professional in some respects (WWE is corporate, but at the end of the day someone like Vince is almost like a cartoon character and his company reflects that), and hopefully they even offer some real benefits or some type of union which could be a good way to lure talent to their product.

Hard to answer these questions without knowing what their funding is. It's still somewhat of a pipedream at this point.

As for why someone would get into the wrestling business - because there is a demand for live content.

They can also find talent internationally, the world is a big place and there are a lot of guys in the wrestling business who go unnoticed. The world has never been short on wrestling talent.

I would be shocked if Jim Ross was involved so I'm not surprised that was just a rumor. I think there is probably some truth to Jericho being involved, but who knows if he'd come through - it might be burning bridges with Vince so I wouldn't be surprised if he joined. Jericho and JR are pretty inconsequential to whether this promotion will be a big deal or not though.
Offer free healthcare and I'm sure guys in the WWE and guys on the indy's will be knocking each other to sign with AEW.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

Offer free healthcare and I'm sure guys in the WWE and guys on the indy's will be knocking each other to sign with AEW.
Hell, just a stable company in which to do your own shit with a solid TV deal would be more than enough for many.

·
Baby Yoda
29,550 Posts
AEW officially announced

Listening to Observer and other links for more details.

All in 2 will also be happening [double or nothing].

Offering multi year contracts and have signed multiple wrestlers signed so far, one of which is Cody. YBs not as yet signed but will within the next 24-48 hours.

No TV deal at the moment, however there's multiple offers out there and Meltzer is confident it will happen but it's not done yet.

Tony Khan running the company, Chris Jericho has not signed however is on the radar. Relationship with NJPW up in the air.

AEW would like to have a relationship with NJPW and work with them, still not sure if they'd work with them. Meltzer said he'd know more in the next few days.

Meltzer speculated ROH talent are unlikely to work with AEW as they're competitors.

Edit:

All In 2: Double or Nothing confirmed in BTE.

·
PSYCH | SAIYANS
13,556 Posts

WWE pays for surgeries, rehab, medicines needed, and a downside guarantee to all their injured talent when they aren't used.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
Jericho is apparently a lock for this, JR is behind it as well in some fashion hopefully as talent relations. And Meltzer says TV is also a lock, they're already way ahead of the curve for this shit so they're fine out of the gate. The original rumor suggested AXS TV was all but done, but I won't be shocked if WGN or something along those lines ends up signing them.

·
No Mercy
1,471 Posts
As someone who has only ever watched one Kenny Omega match, knows The Young Bucks from their TNA stint, and all (though, I did watch All In), I 'get' that I'm probably not on this 'hype train' that people are on.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the promotion works out, regardless of whether or not I'm a fan of its direction (it'd be nice to have something to watch though, I stopped regularly watching WWE months ago), but I await people to get wwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy ahead of themselves as usual - which makes it all more cringe worthy. Some of these 'RIP WWE' comments online elsewhere have made me :HA already.

·
Baby Yoda
29,550 Posts
Jericho is apparently a lock for this, JR is behind it as well in some fashion hopefully as talent relations. And Meltzer says TV is also a lock, they're already way ahead of the curve for this shit so they're fine out of the gate. The original rumor suggested AXS TV was all but done, but I won't be shocked if WGN or something along those lines ends up signing them.
Man if they raid WWE :proud

I know it's very unlikely they get the top stars and the quality of talents they sign is on the TV deal.

Punk would also be a good addition.

141 - 160 of 8705 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.