Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 8705 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Re: AEW - All Elite Wrestling (The Elite/Jericho/Ross/Khan) - New Promotion?

Hm..maybe we should establish a standard here because I would not consider ICW to be a "major promotion". What other promotions do you consider to be a major promotion, Beatles?

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

Hm..maybe we should establish a standard here because I would not consider ICW to be a "major promotion". What other promotions do you consider to be a major promotion, Beatles?
Well, major in a sense of being an important or popular Indy. ROH, LU, WCPW, that sort of thing. You wouldn't equate ICW to that?

·
Registered
560 Posts

Well, major in a sense of being an important or popular Indy. ROH, LU, WCPW, that sort of thing. You wouldn't equate ICW to that?

It's reasonably popular but I wouldn't say it is on the same tier as ROH, LU, Impact - and out of all the UK promotions I would have to say Progress is the most impactful one - at least that is how it feels from a non-Brit. You add in a few Japanese companies, and I think it's a stretch to put ICW on that tier.

There might be 20 wrestling promotions that are bigger than ICW.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

It's reasonably popular but I wouldn't say it is on the same tier as ROH, LU, Impact - and out of all the UK promotions I would have to say Progress is the most impactful one - at least that is how it feels from a non-Brit. You add in a few Japanese companies, and I think it's a stretch to put ICW on that tier.

Thats odd. when I discuss UK wrestling its usually Progress, ICW and WCPW that i hear of. :shrug

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts

ICW's regressed a bit since Drew was on the show. If you were selling Drew's success, probably Evolve was a better pick? It's had a higher quality of wrestlers move through it. Also RevPro is probably alongside Progress and now OTT as of last year as the top three in the UK? At least in terms of quality. RevPro definitely since late 2016.

·
Registered
21,387 Posts

You don't have to call my opinion wrong outright to give the impression that you'd rather critique it. It just seems like you think all this love we have for other non-WWE products is fake or just people being "Marks, brother." You give the impression that you'd rather sit and listen to a Vince Russo rant about how we need to go back to 1998 than be excited about the prospect of AEW coming into existence. You can like WWE all you want. Some of us however are damn sick and tired of them and are glad to enjoy something else. Besides, If you're so adamant about not budging on things like that then why even ask these questions? What is it you hope to find out that you aren't going to try and pull a counter argument out of nowhere for? If our reasons for watching other products are so illogical to you, then why should I waste my breath? I don't need to sit here and be given a lecture about how ROH is somehow just as awful as WWE behind the scenes from a guy who already prefers WWE anyway and therefore naturally WOULD say that. Not only that, but THEN you have the nerve to try and pass it off as merely"Noticing trends", as if to call the rest of us ignorant to how the business works while YOU have all the facts. That's never sat well with me. Its like you look at people here and think "Ohoho, those silly internet fans! They think they're people! :booklel " - Sorry if i'm incorrect, but thats always been the vibe you give off. It's backwards, it serves no purpose but to demean modern fans and quite frankly it's tasteless. Just because Vinny Mac has his company shoved up society's ass thanks to literally billions of dollars in corporate shilling and marketing doesn't mean he has the first clue about making a good product in this current day and age. Post all the figures you want. The casual audience is only watching WWE because it's the only thing they've been trained to watch. They've been spoonfed the WWE brand so ling that it doesn't matter if Vince comes out on Raw tonight and has a big diarrhea dump in the middle of the ring for three hours (Except I mean literally, not the regular figurative one he puts out every other week.) There will always be something keeping it afloat because the average fan doesn't know any better that there's a whole world out there apart from it to explore. Yes, I can ACTUALLY watch certain companies and know I'll be able to enjoy myself most of the time. Yeah, maybe with some jank thrown in, and maybe things that i'd be angry at WWE for doing SOMETIMES, but to a far less nauseating extent. I for one don't care if you think I'm letting them get away with the same shit. I know what I find good to watch and what I don't. Nuts to you or anyone else that tries to tell people otherwise. So I'll tell you again: Cody, Drew and others IMPROVED on the indy scene. YES. If you want examples, look at whats plainly out there to see. You can disagree, of course, but I'm not going to act like Cody for example isn't greater as a character than he's ever been. You can use the phrase "Hardcore bubble" all day if it suits you.

Edit: Oh and if you wanna see ICW there are plenty of sites to watch it on. Thats better than me telling you. I mostly saw him in TNA but ICW has been a major indy a long time. It's not weird! In fact I need to catch up on them.
I asked a simple question of what you preferred about those three guys outside of WWE. You're still saying everything but what you preferred about them lol. Outside of ICW as this is the first time I've heard of it, I know what the main appeal of the different promotions are. But it's funny you'll take about what the casual audience is conditioned too, but take such offense to me pointing out the hardcore audience has their preferences. Like with a Broken/Woken Matt it's clear what's different between the Impact and WWE incarnation as the WWE incarnation never went nearly as in depth as the Impact one. There was no true storyline on him becoming broken, no storyline of him breaking Jeff (in this case Wyatt). It just happened out the blue. Or EC3 who was nobody in WWE and was actually turned into somebody and get to show he can be a valuable piece on a show. That's given validity to a claim vs just going "it's better... because". I do think somethings do get a pass solely for not being in WWE. Such as super hot Naito and super hot Omega not going over at WK, especially since Omega got it at a show not as big as WK. But even that has the fact folk have faith in NJPW creative. I asked a simple question of what do you prefer about Cody, Drew, and Sandow outside. In all the stuff you wrote, you could've easily just answered the question.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

Call me when Impact can draw 6k people.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

I asked a simple question of what you preferred about those three guys outside of WWE. You're still saying everything but what you preferred about them lol. Outside of ICW as this is the first time I've heard of it, I know what the main appeal of the different promotions are. But it's funny you'll take about what the casual audience is conditioned too, but take such offense to me pointing out the hardcore audience has their preferences. Like with a Broken/Woken Matt it's clear what's different between the Impact and WWE incarnation as the WWE incarnation never went nearly as in depth as the Impact one. There was no true storyline on him becoming broken, no storyline of him breaking Jeff (in this case Wyatt). It just happened out the blue. Or EC3 who was nobody in WWE and was actually turned into somebody and get to show he can be a valuable piece on a show. That's given validity to a claim vs just going "it's better... because". I do think somethings do get a pass solely for not being in WWE. Such as super hot Naito and super hot Omega not going over at WK, especially since Omega got it at a show not as big as WK. But even that has the fact folk have faith in NJPW creative. I asked a simple question of what do you prefer about Cody, Drew, and Sandow outside. In all the stuff you wrote, you could've easily just answered the question.
For the second time, you listen to NOTHING of what I just said. WHY should i get into it with you any deeper when all we've done is bitch at each other? You wanna find out what makes them better, go and watch them. Im not telling you just so you can shit all over what i think like you did during RAW, dude. Miss me with your BS.

·
Registered
21,387 Posts

For the second time, you listen to NOTHING of what I just said. WHY should i get into it with you any deeper when all we've done is bitch at each other? You wanna find out what makes them better, go and watch them. Im not telling you just so you can shit all over what i think like you did during RAW, dude. Miss me with your BS.
This makes 0 sense, as we have different preferences and opinions. I can't watch with your mind, you do know that right? "I don't want to say what I like about them because you're going to be mean".

As far as the Raw thread you came to me and I responded. Yeah I didn't agree with your view and don't believe you don't watch, so what lol.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
This makes 0 sense, as we have different preferences and opinions. I can't watch with your mind, you do know that right? "I don't want to say what I like about them because you're going to be mean".

As far as the Raw thread you came to me and I responded. Yeah I didn't agree with your view and don't believe you don't watch, so what lol.
You're full of shit, thats what, and I have no desire to justify my tastes to you.

From NoDQ:

Dave Meltzer is reporting three members of The Elite turned down WWE main event money which was reportedly "multi-year deals for more than seven figures annually." The belief is that the concept of the All Elite Wrestling promotion is more than just an idea now.
:banderas

Young Bucks No-selling the crusty old man like Ultimate Warrior on HHH! :ha

What a time to be alive! Best news i've read all week. :lenny

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
At this point they’d have to give Cody the win over Lesnar and a lengthy title reign for him to come.

I can’t see the bucks going unless they have a credible tag division that occasionally main events ppv

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

At this point they’d have to give Cody the win over Lesnar and a lengthy title reign for him to come.

I can’t see the bucks going unless they have a credible tag division that occasionally main events ppv
Which, as we have seen on BTE, is not what the Bucks think WWE has. They're correct, too.

Like I said before. If Shahid Khan throws serious money at this thing--and I had no reason to believe he wouldn't, given how he has at everything he's been involved in--this could be something to keep an eye on. ESPECIALLY if Jericho ends up being involved in a booking capacity.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Which, as we have seen on BTE, is not what the Bucks think WWE has. They're correct, too.

Like I said before. If Shahid Khan throws serious money at this thing--and I had no reason to believe he wouldn't, given how he has at everything he's been involved in--this could be something to keep an eye on. ESPECIALLY if Jericho ends up being involved in a booking capacity.
If they don’t wait too long to stay this company and promote it well and bring in some popular Indy guys like Penta, Aries, PAC, etc and maybe some WWE guys like Zack Ryder and not push them to the moon I think it will be successful

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

NoDQ:

- Matt Jackson of The Young Bucks confirmed on Twitter that the team will not be part of the upcoming ROH/NJPW event during Wrestlemania 35 weekend:

The Young Bucks
@MattJackson13
We will not be there, but I encourage everyone to still go. It’s a historic night for wrestling.

- Wrestling reporter Brad Shepard has disputed Dave Meltzer's report that members of The Elite including Cody Rhodes were offered seven-figure contracts from WWE:

"How ironic this comes out after my recent report. As I was told, Dave is either doing him a favor by boosting the number or is being given bad information. 'Nobody is offering Rhodes millions of dollars.'"
BIG DAVE RANT INCOMING?! :taker

·
5,600 Posts

NoDQ:

BIG DAVE RANT INCOMING?! :taker

An interesting story if it develops, because this might be the hit-piece people have been wanting on Meltzer for a long time if someone can put it all together.

Brad Shephard has had a reputation hit himself lately. When Reddit isn't wanting to bite for your content, you have to start working hard for victories, however small. WON covers half of /r/sc every Thursday. Meltzer has been very, VERY generous to Rhodes & the Bucks. The minor NJPW hit-piece he attempted to write a few months ago in favour of Rhodes/Bucks was a problem, especially if he was going to try give them favourable press later down the line. And it's very clear he has with this story.

If he's going about reporting that the Rhodes/Bucks have been given 1m+ p/a in deals each, there's something the trio want and they haven't been getting it. He wouldn't do this unless they gave him a story and they wouldn't have a story if their rods weren't still in the ocean.

If you report to anyone that "the WWE have been offering us big money!", I think that's going to chip away at the confidence of wrestlers putting their livelihoods in your hands. Commit 100% to the idea that you are doing AEW and start building up a talent base before ROH/NJPW, WWE, Impact and MLW start rounding up the last few people completely free in the scene. Otherwise, you are playing people but playing yourself most.

·
Registered
23,369 Posts

Can I just say that how ridiculous it is that this potential new promotion may actually exist.

Why do I say that? Because Cody Rhodes was fed up in WWE with being Stardust (and other things) and wanted out to make his own mark. Which he absolutely has.

And now this new promotion looks like it will pop up and at least annoy WWE to some degree and why? Because Vince was too stubborn to give up on Stardust? I just find that particular fact hilarious.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

An interesting story if it develops, because this might be the hit-piece people have been wanting on Meltzer for a long time if someone can put it all together.

Brad Shephard has had a reputation hit himself lately. When Reddit isn't wanting to bite for your content, you have to start working hard for victories, however small. WON covers half of /r/sc every Thursday. Meltzer has been very, VERY generous to Rhodes & the Bucks. The minor NJPW hit-piece he attempted to write a few months ago in favour of Rhodes/Bucks was a problem, especially if he was going to try give them favourable press later down the line. And it's very clear he has with this story.

If he's going about reporting that the Rhodes/Bucks have been given 1m+ p/a in deals each, there's something the trio want and they haven't been getting it. He wouldn't do this unless they gave him a story and they wouldn't have a story if their rods weren't still in the ocean.

If you report to anyone that "the WWE have been offering us big money!", I think that's going to chip away at the confidence of wrestlers putting their livelihoods in your hands. Commit 100% to the idea that you are doing AEW and start building up a talent base before ROH/NJPW, WWE, Impact and MLW start rounding up the last few people completely free in the scene. Otherwise, you are playing people but playing yourself most.
Then again, if you're Dave, WOULDN'T you be privy to the information? Its not unreasonable that he's telling the truth, even if he does tend to favor the elite. Besides, the blurb by shepherd comes across as mighty salty and accusatory. Again, we know that Dave likes the elite, but he has no evidence that he's lying other than "Muh Sources" - and Dave is the one with the connections to be made aware of such a thing.

Either way, the next few weeks are about to get very interesting. :tommy

·
5,600 Posts

Then again, if you're Dave, WOULDN'T you be privy to the information? Its not unreasonable that he's telling the truth, even if he does tend to favor the elite. Besides, the blurb by shepherd comes across as mighty salty and accusatory. Again, we know that Dave likes the elite, but he has no evidence that he's lying other than "Muh Sources" - and Dave is the one with the connections to be made aware of such a thing.

Either way, the next few weeks are about to get very interesting. :tommy
For sure, there's potentially a bit of smoke but how big the fire is, is something that's going to take a lot more than Shepherd to find out. Would likely need a WWE source outing themselves to find anything that damages Meltzer's story. He's (Shephard) got a limited time before bigger stories (AEW or otherwise) break out and there's nothing here but a carcass.

Meltzer is definitely telling a version of the truth but it's just a matter of how embellished it's been by the Elite/any other source.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Outside of some copyrights for a few names, is there anything at all that says there's going to be a new promotion?

Do they have the financial backers lined up? Especially the kind of big money names that would be required for the major financial risk that this would have. Like it or not, wrestling is less popular now than it's been in generations in the United States. Even the top dog in the business is in panic mode right now. Right now any potential financial backers would be out of their minds to "get in the wrasslin business". So I can't imagine that many people would just be giving Cody their checkbooks. This means likely that the few they might find won't exactly throw money into the thing by the handfuls.

This becomes a problem for the second major thing they need to really form a new organization, talent. Good talents aren't free, and they damn sure won't be overly eager to sign contracts with a unproven product. People are getting their panties wet talking about dream team Rosters and frankly everyone needs a dose of reality. They will have to overpay to get any talent of that caliber. This is what plagues new promotions everywhere. Again people talk dream rosters but don't talk about the price tag involved with them. A price tag that any new upstart promotion would be running deep into the red trying to afford. But lets just say they convinced their financial backers to accept the first four or so years of being in the red potentially. You also have to contend with the reality that every star you have, would give their left nut to wrestle for the WWE. I know a select few wouldn't, but most would unless they are complete idiots. The widespread exposure alone is more than any upstart could hope to offer.

Assuming you get the money and the roster figured out. You still need some way of actually putting on shows and reaching your audience. Lots of dumb people chiming into this sadly. I've seen people suggesting they don't need a tv deal, they can just do a live traveling shows, or just do Internet streaming like the network(without the teni of millions of dollars annually that wwe puts into the network to make it run as smoothly as it does)...it's not the 1950s anymore people, no tv deal, no promotion! You can't run a promotion on just having a few big events a year. People suck Cody's nuts because he put on one show that he hyped for a year that did 10 thousand. Why do people all the sudden think this makes vince shit his pants? Maybe from laughing so hard...

Lastly people...Jim Ross has said openly he has nothing to do with this, Jerico has never said anything about it either so stop putting their names on this shit

·
Registered
560 Posts

Outside of some copyrights for a few names, is there anything at all that says there's going to be a new promotion?

Do they have the financial backers lined up? Especially the kind of big money names that would be required for the major financial risk that this would have. Like it or not, wrestling is less popular now than it's been in generations in the United States. Even the top dog in the business is in panic mode right now. Right now any potential financial backers would be out of their minds to "get in the wrasslin business". So I can't imagine that many people would just be giving Cody their checkbooks. This means likely that the few they might find won't exactly throw money into the thing by the handfuls.

This becomes a problem for the second major thing they need to really form a new organization, talent. Good talents aren't free, and they damn sure won't be overly eager to sign contracts with a unproven product. People are getting their panties wet talking about dream team Rosters and frankly everyone needs a dose of reality. They will have to overpay to get any talent of that caliber. This is what plagues new promotions everywhere. Again people talk dream rosters but don't talk about the price tag involved with them. A price tag that any new upstart promotion would be running deep into the red trying to afford. But lets just say they convinced their financial backers to accept the first four or so years of being in the red potentially. You also have to contend with the reality that every star you have, would give their left nut to wrestle for the WWE. I know a select few wouldn't, but most would unless they are complete idiots. The widespread exposure alone is more than any upstart could hope to offer.

Assuming you get the money and the roster figured out. You still need some way of actually putting on shows and reaching your audience. Lots of dumb people chiming into this sadly. I've seen people suggesting they don't need a tv deal, they can just do a live traveling shows, or just do Internet streaming like the network(without the teni of millions of dollars annually that wwe puts into the network to make it run as smoothly as it does)...it's not the 1950s anymore people, no tv deal, no promotion! You can't run a promotion on just having a few big events a year. People suck Cody's nuts because he put on one show that he hyped for a year that did 10 thousand. Why do people all the sudden think this makes vince shit his pants? Maybe from laughing so hard...

Lastly people...Jim Ross has said openly he has nothing to do with this, Jerico has never said anything about it either so stop putting their names on this shit
I'm assuming some of the viability of this stems from the possible relationship with Shahid Khan. If Khan is willing to put his check book out there Ted Turner style, then they have more than enough to have grounds for a major promotion - TNA started with much less.

They will have to compete with the WWE, but fact is - WWE can't sign everyone. I also would not be surprised if the company is ran more professional in some respects (WWE is corporate, but at the end of the day someone like Vince is almost like a cartoon character and his company reflects that), and hopefully they even offer some real benefits or some type of union which could be a good way to lure talent to their product.

Hard to answer these questions without knowing what their funding is. It's still somewhat of a pipedream at this point.

As for why someone would get into the wrestling business - because there is a demand for live content.

They can also find talent internationally, the world is a big place and there are a lot of guys in the wrestling business who go unnoticed. The world has never been short on wrestling talent.

I would be shocked if Jim Ross was involved so I'm not surprised that was just a rumor. I think there is probably some truth to Jericho being involved, but who knows if he'd come through - it might be burning bridges with Vince so I wouldn't be surprised if he kept some distance from it. Jericho and JR are pretty inconsequential to whether this promotion will be a big deal or not though.

121 - 140 of 8705 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.