Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 8705 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Re: AEW - All Elite Wrestling (The Elite/Jericho/Ross/Khan) - New Promotion?

It's going to be an outrageously hard road to hoe to be a strong #2 today. This reminds me of something JJ Dillon said in an interview when he was asked how do you create a successful wrestling company, and he said with some cynicism:

"First thing I would say is I hope you have a lot of money, and when I say a lot of money I'm talking Ted Turner money, deep, deep pockets. Now if you had the money, it's a talent driven business. You need talent and when the territories went out there were guys that making a living in the business that you could cherry pick, main events guys from territories and you could put a nucleus of top guys together and then filled it out with guys underneath who then could get the rub, and if they had the potential, could eventually make stars out of them to give you that talent roster, because it is a talent-driven business It isn't that easy now."

"If you have money, and you have the talent-- but I'd stop right here and ask, where's your talent pool? Where are you going to get them from? .... then you got to get creative people to know what to do with them. Because you can't have meaningful issues which is what sells tickets, until you have characters who are meaningful. You need a creative mind to know what to do with it. Then you have to have exposure, you need television and you can't have television that's on 3 am and expect to run live events and make it profitable......"

".....now if you take on a cable network, you count the number of stations that you can choose from in the 100s. How are you going to have a new program let the world know that you're out there and that this is where to find you and to build a loyal following? I don't know where that is. It's certainly not wrestling magazines. Ads, major newspapers, I mean wrestling fans don't read ads-- I don't hate that word out there. So I could think of all the reasons why if you have money and say 'I love the wrestling business, I want to get in it', and I'd say give me a dollar, and now I'll send you a lot of money and tell you... don't get in the wrestling business. Put your money somewhere else, do something else. It's the greatest business in the world, but it's the most challenging business and I don't know that it's possible at this day & time for a new player to come in and be successful."

---

Of course, he didn't mention the use of internet streams, but still in any case that would be like a whole lot of other promotions trying to do the same things with internet streams and internet based networks. That's not going to cut it. People are looking for in this case, specifically an alternative to something like RAW on the USA network. People are hoping for competition here, REAL competition. But that is going to be extremely hard to do. next to impossible, even. WWE are so huge now, they could literally just put a guppy in a fish bowl in the middle of the ring for 3 hrs and they still wouldn't notice any competition even if it was out there.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

If this ever gets legs, Nakamura, Balor, maybe Ziggler and a few others I would love to see give WWE the finger and finally get the recognition they deserve. I mean seriously Juice Robinson was looked on as nothing in WWE and he has an amazing character now in NJPW and owns it, the talent has never been the problem in WWE, the presentation of said talent is where everything is fucked up

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Honestly this shit smells like a work from the bucks, cody and big dave to raise their worth even higher by the time their contracts ends.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts

If this is true, then MLW, ROH and Impact will take a major hit. Considering Jericho is rumoured to be involved and knowing he persuaded Anthem's president to hire Callis as one of the guy's to be in charge of Impact Wrestling then chances are that Callis could join AEW. It won't surprise me if the backstage guys they are trying to target in WWE are Sabolsky, Graves, Heyman, Regal, Justin Roberts, Ranjin Singh.

They will need to have a proper roster, creative, marketing, television deal, great touring events, ppvs.

Proper weight-classes would work as well...

By weight-class I mean two legit weight divisions...one for the light-weights, and one for the Heavyweights, but does not include World division.

Tag-Team Champions
Lightweight Champion
Womens Champion
Heavyweight Champion
World Champion

The roster shouldn't be more than 30 at first

5 tag-teams, 5 lightweight contenders, 5 women championship contenders, 5 heavyweight championship contenders, and 5 world championship contenders.

By having legit weightclasses you minimize some injuries and give your roster longevity. The World division is reserved for the guys who can lead your company, but that the Champion is the face of the brand.

By putting a couple of famous tag-teams in your tag-team division you create that buzz and showcase them as well the younger tag-teams.

Lightweight division could easily have a famous cruiserweight from years past, but he will put over the younger ones.

Women's division would need to showcase 3 previous and famous champions in the industry and eventually help put over the other 2.

Heavyweight division would need at least 2 popular heavyweights and former champions that help put over the emerging 3 heavyweights.

World division will have to start off with 2 world famous former champions to get fans in the seats, fans talking on social media, and appeal to television in order to push the other 3 to become just as popular.

As the promotion expands and becomes popular, you then add in a new title known as National Championship, and that this effectively becomes the division where old meets new. As it expands even more, you will eventually need to have a training center, a couple of scouts (talent relations), etc.

Afterall, they plan on going big with deep pockets, so why not utilize the synonym of all-stars as well?

Also...one final thought...have some sort of decent wellness program?.

·
Registered
21,394 Posts

If this ever gets legs, Nakamura, Balor, maybe Ziggler and a few others I would love to see give WWE the finger and finally get the recognition they deserve. I mean seriously Juice Robinson was looked on as nothing in WWE and he has an amazing character now in NJPW and owns it, the talent has never been the problem in WWE, the presentation of said talent is where everything is fucked up
This attitude is one I don't get if every allegedly "misused" WWE signed wrestler goes here or any promotion in particular what's stopping them from going right back into a midcarder situation? You named 3 and then said a few others. How many main event spots do you think exist? How much spotlight do you think can go around? In particular if this fed really was run by active wrestlers what makes you think they wouldn't book themselves on top first?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

This attitude is one I don't get if every allegedly "misused" WWE signed wrestler goes here or any promotion in particular what's stopping them from going right back into a midcarder situation? You named 3 and then said a few others. How many main event spots do you think exist? How much spotlight do you think can go around? In particular if this feud really was run by active wrestlers what makes you think they wouldn't book themselves on top first?
Yeah, Cody is not going to book someone like Ziggler over himself.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts

WWE seriously need some competition, in past wrestling fans brag about who's better between WCW and WWF, I want that thing come again, like now fans from DC and Marvel trash each other about their favorite superhero from both publisher

·
Registered
21,394 Posts

If All In is any indication, even the big non-Elite names have little chance of getting to go over.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If All In is any indication, even the big non-Elite names have little chance of getting to go over.
Omega had just won the IWGP title and should have gone over Pentagon. Plus they wanted to play up the Jericho cruise.

They were giving Cody his NWA title reign to get people talking about the NWA again which was the right call (and Aldis got it back pretty quickly)

Hangman > Joey Janela

The Bucks and Ibushi went over Mysterio/Bandito/Fenix and they should have considering that they work together often

Scurll lost to Okada

So it’s not like the wins and losses weren’t justified

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

I don't think that anyone is really arguing if they should or shouldn't have gone over. Point is that some midcarders from WWE are unlikely to get strong booking in theoretical AEW just because WWE are "underutilizing" them.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts

Anyone migrating between the promotions early would get favourable positioning and booking, however. One, as a sign of gratitude and two, to entice others to make the same move.

I don't get the vibe from Cody & the Bucks that they'd do the Dusty Rhodes/Triple H special. If they get someone who is more over & more talented than they are, they'd do the job on the big shows 99 times out of 100. Bucks have always let established and tenured tag teams rotate wins with them.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

If this happens it will be a bomb ratings wise - they'll be lucky to get 400k weekly (or is 400k considered a good rating nowadays ?).

The people behind this need to realize that WWE get's relatively good ratings because they're the WWE and not because of the quality of the programming (LOL), the strength of the WWE brand name is incredible with a rich and long history. Look at Impact and ROH, they can't draw shit ratings wise because professional wrestling is basically dead, sports entertainment is alive and well but the market for that is very small and niche, made up of almost entirely of fat bearded guys with glasses in their 30's and 40's.

·
Registered
23,369 Posts

As far as guys jumping ship from WWE, I don't know if really about getting a "main event spot." It's more to me being fulfilled creatively. Look at Finn Balor. Finn Balor is a guy who hardly ever has an actual storyline dedicated to him. He's used mostly as a guy who can make other guys like McIntyre, Lashley, Corbin, etc. look good.

And it's not that he always loses. He's about 50/50 most of the time. It's that most of the matches he's in don't really matter, because there isn't a lot going for them storyline wise.

So if he cares about that and he got a sweet deal from this potential new company, I could see him wanting to leave. Same thing with guys like Gallows & Anderson who are doing absolutely nothing.

Ziggler's a guy I don't agree about honestly. #1, if he wanted to leave WWE, he would have done so years ago. And #2, while Dolph has been underutilized in the past, this year he's been at Tag Champion, IC Champion, been apart of main event angles. I don't see him leaving after all that.

I still find it hard to believe the reports that 2 talents have already agreed to deals in principle because we don't even know if this thing is going to get off the ground. Even if they are creatively suppressed, it's still a job. And I don't see anyone leaving guaranteed money until they know this thing is off the ground.

But if it does, then yes I could see people leaving if they can get somewhat comparable money.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

If this happens it will be a bomb ratings wise - they'll be lucky to get 400k weekly (or is 400k considered a good rating nowadays ?).

The people behind this need to realize that WWE get's relatively good ratings because they're the WWE and not because of the quality of the programming (LOL), the strength of the WWE brand name is incredible with a rich and long history. Look at Impact and ROH, they can't draw shit ratings wise because professional wrestling is basically dead, sports entertainment is alive and well but the market for that is very small and niche, made up of almost entirely of fat bearded guys with glasses in their 30's and 40's.
Well arent you just a ray of sunshine?

This is why we can't have nice things.

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts

I saw this too. Does anyone knows if it's legit information ?

If it is, i find this really interesting...
From what I read Punk said he would "listen to any offer" which is not exactly the same as "I'm All In!" but you know, headlines.

He also said Cody never made him a formal offer for ALL IN and kind of implied that if had he, Punk would have accepted.

He was very coy, so he could just be playing around, keeping his name in the press. He does have some show on Netflix to promote or something

61 - 80 of 8705 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.