Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 8705 Posts

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
They aren't even established yet, and people are suggesting this. It depends on WWE contracts, but believe it or not - I say most are probably happy enough to stay in WWE, simply 'cause it's WWE (and believe it or not - folk want to make it there), they're well paid, and why take the risk on a promotion not even established? Besides, WWE are a powerhouse. Even if a situation like this were to arise, they'd have all the money in the world to get talent. Vince is known for that dust he spreads. Genius at it.

EDIT: If anything, Impact, LU, and such should be the promotions worried. Unless some sort of partnership deal(s) could be cut.

He probably will definitely have his ear out to see if any of that were to arise. I'd be shocked if mentions of this new company wasn't at least mentioned in meetings and so forth. However, there's bigger problems to worry about - TV deal, XFL revival, ratings, whatever's goin' on in the product right now (that I have no clue about, as I'm not watching on a regular basis), and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't given Cody advice, like he did for the PPV those guys had. I doubt he's shaking in his boots, like folk would love to believe. We've seen this excitement with other promotions before. Granted, many of them didn't have a billionaire backer, but I doubt they're a Ted Turner type person :shrug we all saw what happened there.

Just think folk need to tune down the excitement levels just a bit down :p it's good news, but as expected, folk get too ahead of themselves. I hope it works out, regardless of whether I'm a fan of the overall direction of the business right now or not.
Dude why are you getting your feelings so hurt that you're taking this seriously? Calm down, you're blind if you don't think a talent raid is expected. This same thing also occurred when TNA launched in fucking 2002 and even more so when the TV launched in '05, and Tony Khan isn't a Ted Turner type :lmao the fuck.

Ted Turner Net Worth $2.2 Billion

Tony Khan $7.6 Billion

Vince McMahon $2.9 Billion :lmao these are all as of 2018, take the L bruh.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Okay I am gonna point out something some people haven't really noticed, Khan doesn't have a history of people a ton on money into his projects so I wouldn't expect them to be able to actual complete with stars that the WWE want the most. Remember their TV deals that they got last year was recording breaking, they are making a ton of money and their shares just reach a record high.

I could see them being a new verison of RoH/TNA the option when people can't make it in the WWE because the stars they have claimed to be stealing are people like Zack Ryder... sorry but he gotten over as a joke character and really all he is. I've said this before though, I hope it works out but I kinda doubt it will work out the way people expect it too.

I do worry about one thing, egos may get in the way, let's not forget the track record of when wrestlers book themselves in their promotions isn't great. Look at Kevin Nash ending the Goldberg streak only to lose to Hogan with the fingerpoke. basically the entire first five years of TNA under Jeff and so on and so on.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Re: AEW - All Elite Wrestling (The Elite/Jericho/Ross/Khan) - New Promotion?

I feel like this will be something that gets a lot of hopes up for real competition in wrestling but ultimately doesn't live up to the hype.
That depends on what living up to it means for you.

Certainly this has the biggest chance to be something substantial that a new fed has had in ages.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't see this being a new ROH/TNA. They are more WWE main roster shows with smaller budgets. This will be aiming more in the Evolve/MLW space. NXT kind of showed what you can do with some credible resources in this area and, without the limitations imposed on NXT by WWE, AEW could be a major player here.

All credit to them for launching it.

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
As someone who hasn't really stepped outside of the WWE bubble since TNA went to hell all those years ago. I really hope things go well with this and we get a decent alternative to the E. At the very least I hope it kicks WWE in the balls and they actually start trying again. Competition is good for everyone.

Also I enjoyed All In for the most part so I will be for sure tuning in for Double or Nothing.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
However you want to look at this it’s amazing news

Wonder what Omega is going to do here especially if a NJPW deal isn’t worked out

Really looking forward to seeing what is announced on the 8th

·
No Mercy
1,471 Posts
Dude why are you getting your feelings so hurt that you're taking this seriously? Calm down, you're blind if you don't think a talent raid is expected. This same thing also occurred when TNA launched in fucking 2002 and even more so when the TV launched in '05, and Tony Khan isn't a Ted Turner type :lmao the fuck.

Ted Turner Net Worth $2.2 Billion

Tony Khan $7.6 Billion

Vince McMahon $2.9 Billion :lmao these are all as of 2018, take the L bruh.
It's others taking it so seriously, not me. Heck, your response showcases that in itself. When TNA launched in '02, they never raided anyone. They signed free agents or folk willing to take a deal for a few weeks as they couldn't guarantee they'd even be in business - big difference.

By 'Ted Turner type' I meant by spending money and not giving a shite whether it occurs in a loss or not. Needless spending. My bad - I should've clarified that.

But of course the 'wrestling' fanbase will all gather into their circle jerk...so uhh...carry on :shrug

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I can imagine New Japan are pretty stubborn. It seems like they want talent to sign exclusive deals, but it's just not the environment for that. Jericho and Omega are big signings for AEW on that front, because then AEW have two guys that New Japan really, really wants. I hope they find a way to corner Ibushi. You don't need a whole bunch of New Japan talent being signed to AEW contracts, but if you just get a few, then they can be cornerstones of AEW but also be useful to New Japan and ensure that when you, say, want Sho and Yoh for an opener somewhere, you can get them.

Jericho and JR are important signings on a different front too. They are a good sign that this thing is "for real." Jericho has said that he's got no desire to work opposition to Vince, and JR is a guy that probably has a direct line to him. If they decide to take Khan money, then it means that they aren't afraid of hurting Vince's feelings. This becomes important when you're trying to make offers to guys like Styles and Nakamura. You want to be able to tell them that you don't need Vince McMahon in wrestling anymore. If they can offer multi-year deals that can guarantee Styles and Nakamura are going to be quite wealthy as they enter the twilight of their careers, then they might actually decide not to renew to WWE, despite being treated quite well there.

It would make sense for AEW to work with WoW and Japanese women's promotions. STARDOM is the obvious choice, but there are no doubt other promotions they could strike up deals with too. Kiera Hogan and Tessa Blanchard are the names I hear about, but that might require working with TNA, which they need to be careful about.

They should probably try and go after CM Punk too.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
It's others taking it so seriously, not me. Heck, your response showcases that in itself. When TNA launched in '02, they never raided anyone. They signed free agents or folk willing to take a deal for a few weeks as they couldn't guarantee they'd even be in business - big difference.

By 'Ted Turner type' I meant by spending money and not giving a shite whether it occurs in a loss or not. Needless spending. My bad - I should've clarified that.

But of course the 'wrestling' fanbase will all gather into their circle jerk...so uhh...carry on :shrug
Most of those people chose to become free agents because they wanted to work somewhere new :kobe. Do you not know how this works? This is the exact result when NJPW decided to take Gaijin seriously when Balor, AJ, and co. came aboard. The fact that you can't put two and two together is rather astonishing. And you 100% seem ass hurt over it especially after that circle jerk line. Stay in your feels, we'll stay happy/excited. Competition and money brings in names doesn't matter who you are.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
AEW is competition for ROH now. That could do something to halt any relationship with New Japan. Unless the NJPW office tells ROH to shut its mouth because they know they love their relationship enough to let New Japan work with anyone else who is in direct contact; holding the power.

Who the hell knows. That's why we're watching.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
This is great news not only for fans, but also for talent. Now obviously this is still very early days and there is a long way to go but with the passion that The Elite have for the wrestling industry and with the financial backing that they'll have, then I can't see any reason why it can't take off.

·
No Mercy
1,471 Posts
Most of those people chose to become free agents because they wanted to work somewhere new :kobe. Do you not know how this works? This is the exact result when NJPW decided to take Gaijin seriously when Balor, AJ, and co. came aboard. The fact that you can't put two and two together is rather astonishing. And you 100% seem ass hurt over it especially after that circle jerk line. Stay in your feels, we'll stay happy/excited. Competition and money brings in names doesn't matter who you are.
Nope. Most of those people were released. Hall, Brian Christopher, Ken Shamrock, K-Kwik, etc. NWA-TNA was just a temporary short term place for some people. Hence why originally those guys were only handed either one show (like Hall) or short-term deals, as they couldn't guarantee they'd be in business. However, obviously they stayed in business and some of those guys took longer term deals when offered to them, but it plays no part here. Bad example.

I'm not 'ass hurt'. Of course folk will throw that out and 'WWE shill' (not you, in this case) when I say something different or go against their 'wrestling' beliefs (despite the fact I don't even watch the product now, at least on a regular basis). I'm very happy there's a new company afloat. I barely watch the product now, and would love for something to come along and gain my interest again. Does it seem like it'll be my type of promotion? Probably not, due to various reasons. But will I give it a shot? Of course. I just think folk are getting their hopes up about competition...but that doesn't mean this company can't be successful. But the talk over 'these big names' joining? Forget it :lol but oh well, whatever makes folk happy thinkin' about it.

181 - 200 of 8705 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.