Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 8705 Posts

·
Registered
24,483 Posts
Re: AEW - All Elite Wrestling (The Elite/Jericho/Ross/Khan) - New Promotion?

There's too many signs for this not to be true at this point. I just wonder what shape this will take. Are they actually going to try and build their own promotion when ROH and NJPW are still around with their partnership and WWE still signing guys left and right?

Like who are they really going to get for this? Unless their idea is a few shows every year or something. But with the Jags Owner possibly being involved you think it would be bigger than that.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts

I'm kind of intrigued. Weekly TV will lose my interest 100%. It being the Bucks & Cody, I don't think they want to do NJPW or ROH style touring formats. So we are probably just looking at traditional TV wrestling. All the luck to them, but it's an uphill battle of giant proportions. I really doubt their key audience (which is 100% Youtube, and you really can't monetise Youtube well right now) will be tuning in on cable TV to watch them.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts

:bjpenn Always down for more wrestling on my screen. Not so much more Cool Dad, but the Bucks are cool. I do wonder if other companies are in on this and are working together, or if CODY is about to pull a Dusty and go into business for himself, IF YOU WHEEL.

Either way, this has my attention.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Cool best of luck to them.

Uphill battle for sure with staffing, building a talent roster securing a TV deal, promotion it could be a year until you see them do anything with this if all goes according to plan. It will also likely cause other companies to become trepidatious about letting their contracted talent work with them. It's not going to be publically funded at first which would mean that the money is going to be better elsewhere. Billionaires don't exactly like losing or spending their money. You also have to wonder how much The Elite's stock drops without the exposure of New Japan and ROH to aid them.

It's coming............. <Vince shitting himself>

It will be interesting to see who 'All Elite Wrestling' poach from WWE (ie Back-Of-House staff, as well as on-air talent).
Why would Vince be shitting himself? It took Cody and the Bucks a year to build a show to draw 10,000 people and that's when they had NJPW and ROH on their side. Now you are looking at trying to find a regular TV spot(when wresting that isn't WWE is struggling to find decent homes on high clearance TV networks) with building a talent roster hiring a fulltime staff promoting finding venues and spending the outlay on producing TV. If they make it to TV regularly then they have to build up an audience(that isn't exactly large even for the companies these people are already performing for and likely no longer will be performing for if they go this route and that's with the infrastructure already in place. This is a gamble more than a guarantee. Like I said before this could be a year away from being a thing that even has legs if it gets that far.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts

A new promotion for wrestlers to go is always a good thing in my opinion. Opens up the world to new, exciting wrestlers and new innovative stuff. If they want to run it as a proper promotion then I'm all for it, but if it's just going to be a Bullet Club/Elite vanity promotion like Ring Of Honor has become then no thanks. Hopefully it will be the former should this come into fruition.

They seemed to have some decent backing behind then which is good, hopefully they are careful with how they spend it and use it to invest in a decent roster that they can build up rather than just a load of big names where there is no room to grow.

Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer

·
Registered
22,722 Posts

Good on Jericho and JR for giving it a shot. They won't be challenging WWE, but more options for wrestlers and fans isn't a bad thing. Hopefully Jericho doesn't use it to put himself over like Jarrett did in the early TNA days

·
Banned
1,756 Posts

This is amazing with Jericho and JR being involved I have a feeling we might be seeing the start of another promotion like WCW. I hope it is successful. I wonder if they’ll try to get AJ Styles?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Good on Jericho and JR for giving it a shot. They won't be challenging WWE, but more options for wrestlers and fans isn't a bad thing. Hopefully Jericho doesn't use it to put himself over like Jarrett did in the early TNA days
I can see Jericho getting the main belt to start with to get eyes on the promotion but Jericho seems to enjoy putting people over so I don’t see him being their “top guy”.

I’m curious who all they could realistically get and how that’ll effect their relationships with ROH/NJPW/Impact.

I see guys like Pentagon, Fenix, Dalton, the Addiction, Flip coming on board.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts

I feel like this will be something that gets a lot of hopes up for real competition in wrestling but ultimately doesn't live up to the hype.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Jericho loves the wrestling world, he will do everything to find the next big superstars and take them to the next level. Money are not the biggest problem when u compete against WWE though.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

If they want to run it as a proper promotion then I'm all for it, but if it's just going to be a Bullet Club/Elite vanity promotion like Ring Of Honor has become then no thanks. Hopefully it will be the former should this come into fruition.
I think it is unavoidable that Elite guys would be main eventers of this promotion. They are doing the groundwork here so it makes sense and who from indies would really be accepted by USA fans as main eventer when you have guys like Cody, Omega and Jericho around?

To me most interesting thing is how it is going to affect RoH/NJPW/Impact/CMLL/AAA. Do they try to make talent sharing deals with them? If so would their partners get along? Interesting stuff to think about.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

Honestly they shouldn't complain if New Japan decides to make them to do the job for more loyal Westerners like Juice and Jay and Even the Tongans

You cannot fault New Japan at all if they don't wanna push them after this

·
Absolute Scumbag.
4,020 Posts

I guess i don't see why JR is doing this as he's up there in years. Jericho makes sense with his interviews lately.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is very interesting... this is good for the industry but NJPW and ROH can’t be too happy. Especially NJPW because they went all in with the Elite and Jericho - Omega, Jericho and Cody currently hold the top 3 belts in NJPW. I wonder if they are re-considering pushing outsider gaijins over their home grown talent.

·
&#937; Champion
4,092 Posts

I doubt that Kenny leaves NJPW full time for this. Maybe a couple of appearances for PPVS/TV

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

I just hope they don't adopt the moronic WWE way of thinking and they keep working with everyone all around the world
Based on stuff that I have seen them say I would be really surprised if they didn't have some kinda of "work with everyone" strategy. Question is if everyone else will agree to that.

1 - 20 of 8705 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.