Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

They would be off the digital world until a million dollar is raised for Keep a Child Alive, an organization that would benefit families affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa and India.

Alicia Keys has successfully urged her celebrity friends to quit Twitter and make it worthwhile at the same time. From Lady GaGa to Kim Kardashian, a number of stars have joined Keys' initiative to raise money for charity by quitting the microblogging site as well as Facebook for a period of time.

Called Digital Life Sacrifice, the campaign would see the entertainers ditching the digital world starting Wednesday, December 1 aka World AIDS day until they raise a million dollars for Keys' AIDS charity, Keep a Child Alive. In addition, they would also film "last tweet and testament" videos and appear in ads that show them lying in coffins to reflect what they mean by "digital deaths".

"It's really important and super-cool to use mediums that we naturally are on," Keys told The Associated Press. She added, "This is such a direct and instantly emotional way and a little sarcastic, you know, of a way to get people to pay attention."

She further revealed that all the celebrities whom she approached did not hesitate to say yes. They are Keys' husband Swizz Beatz, Justin Timberlake, Jennifer Hudson, Serena Williams, Elijah Wood, Usher, Khloe Kardashian, Janelle Monae and Ryan Seacrest.

Most of these stars have more than a million followers who could easily contribute a dollar each to fulfill the goal. GaGa in particular has more than 7.2 million followers on Twitter. "I have a feeling that GaGa is going to raise it all by herself," Leigh Blake, the president and co-founder of Keep a Child Alive said.
Donations are accepted through text messages and bar-code technology which is featured in the charity's Buy Life campaign. For more details head on to KeepAChildAlive.org.

·
EIRE
15,861 Posts
I think it's hilarious and sad at the same time that these chicks think that them not being on Twitter anymore is important enough for people to collectively donate a million dollars to get them back on it.

"Guys, we should do some charity work to raise money for AIDS in Africa!"

"For sure! What events should we attend to raise awareness or where should we volunteer first?"

"Volun..what? What the fuck are you talking about? I say we not go on Twitter until people donate a million dollars to get us back on it!"

"....Let's do this"

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Please try to fill me up here: I know who Kim Kardashian is because she did some sex tape and has an enormous ass but besides that has she done something worth jackshit?

This is still a stupid idea in escence, but oh well it's for charity.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
I would donate 10 dollars to Lady GaGa if she promised to stop looking like Howard Stern in a blonde wig.

Reactions: Hazzard

·
EIRE
15,861 Posts
I would donate $10 to Lady Gaga if she promised to go away indefinitely so I wouldn't have to see her be weird for the sake of being weird and I also wouldn't have to listen to her thinking she is the voice of this generation with her 15+ min speeches during all her concerts.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
These people must have huge-ass egos if they expect everyone to be sad about twitter accounts.

.... *waits for someone to make a Kim Kardashian pun off of the word 'huge-ass' in this post*

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
I would donate $10 to Lady Gaga if she promised to go away indefinitely so I wouldn't have to see her be weird for the sake of being weird and I also wouldn't have to listen to her thinking she is the voice of this generation with her 15+ min speeches during all her concerts.
lol I hear ya.

But those don't bother me so much simply because I know she's at the little kids table.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
ok i like lady gaga's music and all but seriously, who gives a shit if they quit twitter, like how does that even help raise money, i don't get it. fucking idiots , they could do other things rather than blackmailing their followers to donate

·
EIRE
15,861 Posts
ok i like lady gaga's music and all but seriously, who gives a shit if they quit twitter, like how does that even help raise money, i don't get it. fucking idiots , they could do other things rather than blackmailing their followers to donate
That's Hollywood and being famous for you. It's a magic trick that they have (their influence over people) because people have made them think that they are important so they are ignorant enough to think that their absence from these social networking platforms would be so profound that people will donate money to get them back on them.

They can call it charity all they want, but it's an ego stroke at the end of the day. If people are stupid enough (and let's face it, they are) to donate money to get them back on these things it gives them a massive ego boost which they desperately need because they need so much attention. A charity gets some money and they get confirmation again that they matter, which is what they want. It's "win-win".

I find it sad more than anything.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
I don't think it's gonna be very successful though. They needed to add someone like Beiber to this for it to have an impact.

Little teen girls would be sending 10 dollar bills in by the millions to get him back.

·
EIRE
15,861 Posts
I don't think it's gonna be very successful though. They needed to add someone like Beiber to this for it to have an impact.

Little teen girls would be sending 10 dollar bills in by the millions to get him back.
I concur. I remember when Kim and Bieber did some sort of photo shoot together and Bieber fans wanted to kill Kimmy. This kid has so much pull that if you are photographed with him you get death threats. This scheme would work 100% if that little freak jumped on board.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
they're all rich enough to just donate money without being stupid attention whores
Because then they wouldn't get attention and they'd have to spend their own money. Hell, I didn't even know half these people were on Twitter/Facebook.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I'm sure they'd be able to take the money out of their back pockets to donate......

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I'm kinda lost with Alicia Keys...I don't know how to feel about her right now, both musically and just as a person. I'm sure she's nice, but ehh...seemed alot more down to earth back in the day, imo.

As for this whole quitting Twitter and Facebook thing, it's whatever. When I'm able to get paid off this shit or tweeting etc is a known job, I don't really care lol. I mean, I tweet, but I don't expect anyone to be like "OMG! Why you gonna quit it!?" if I ever decided to just stop.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts