Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't watch WWE from 2007 - 2011 so I haven't seen an episode of NXT, RAW or SD where Alex Riley has appeared with the Miz.

I knew Miz was champion at the time when they were aligned so i'm guessing the WWE were pretty high on him. I have only seen him at MiTB, a few squash matches and at the Royal Rumble.

In my opinion he has a great look and for the short time i've seen him he possesses more charisma than a lot of the wrestlers on the main shows so why isn't he being used? I know he had a major botch with Swagger which was pretty painful to watch but that happens and like usual, this forum overreacted.

From the short stints i've seen of him i'd like to see more but I wanted to know what this forum thinks of him. Am I one of the few to like the guy or was he popular when he was on the main shows?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I didn't watch WWE from 2007 - 2011 so I haven't seen an episode of NXT, RAW or SD where Alex Riley has appeared with the Miz.

I knew Miz was champion at the time when they were aligned so i'm guessing the WWE were pretty high on him. I have only seen him at MiTB, a few squash matches and at the Royal Rumble.

In my opinion he has a great look and for the short time i've seen him he possesses more charisma than a lot of the wrestlers on the main shows so why isn't he being used? I know he had a major botch with Swagger which was pretty painful to watch but that happens and like usual, this forum overreacted.

From the short stints i've seen of him i'd like to see more but I wanted to know what this forum thinks of him. Am I one of the few to like the guy or was he popular when he was on the main shows?
And he still hasn't learned his lesson...

1:05

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts

I just think the sandbagging on Swagger was the final straw. I also think there was many more cases that deemed him an unsafe worker. It's crazy because he is super charismatic, and still actually pretty over with the fans. I am all for hoping he gains control in the ring and looking forward to seeing him back in the picture in some form or fashion.

People think he is only super over because he attacked Miz, but he is a easy character to like. To answer your question, I like the dude too, and he was really popular on the main shows, but now he has fallen hard, so...

Edit: Just watched the Albert thing in your post, and oh boy, I can only feel bad for poor Riley.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts

He is one of those stars that can play either "Face", or "Heel" roles, but I think naturally he plays the "heel" role much better, and the "face" role should have waited to debut for few a years. Granted he had to break away from The Miz, but that should have been short lived. His work in NXT 2 I was great on the mic, and his work in the ring since then has improved a ton. My biggest problem with this guy has always been his look.

His wrestling attire is just to 90's. The Varsity Jacket he was wearing was nice, but it seemed as though it were a cheap rip off of Rick Steiner's look. Riley just doesn't fit the "Varsity Villain" role that many have labeled as in the past. Right now he changed his boots, and they look awful. I think along with the character the image is just as important, and I think without a certain "look" it can make the overall character dull. His music doesn't go well with a "heel" character as well, so if he were to turn heel the music would have to change.

Alex Riley right now is wasting his time. He would be the perfect heel for Smackdown's midcard right now, and I think he would make a perfect tag team with a guy like Jack Swagger. Dolph needs to be on his own, and Swagger is to talented to be released. Even though Jack is a former World Heavyweight Champion, and yes he has fallen down the ranks big time, but that means nothing in the "now". Riley has strong enough mic skills to carry the duo, and Swagger can re-invent himself. These two remind me of two jocks, but minus the varstiy jackets, books, and footballs.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
After he attacked Miz, he was getting really big pops and seemed to be over with the crowd. They had him beat the Miz at Capitol Punishment and was main eventing Raw in a tag team with Cena. There was a lot of threads about him becoming the next face of the WWE (this was literally days before Punks promo). They put him in the RAW MITB match and lots of people thought he was going to win it. He kind of slowed down in July though with some horrible TV show matches and at house shows. After Money in the Bank, he slowly disappeared off TV. Has just been jobbing since but is probably the most over low carder.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
After he attacked Miz, he was getting really big pops and seemed to be over with the crowd. They had him beat the Miz at Capitol Punishment and was main eventing Raw in a tag team with Cena. There was a lot of threads about him becoming the next face of the WWE (this was literally days before Punks promo). They put him in the RAW MITB match and lots of people thought he was going to win it. He kind of slowed down in July though with some horrible TV show matches and at house shows. After Money in the Bank, he slowly disappeared off TV. Has just been jobbing since but is probably the most over low carder.
Nothing against his rub off of The Miz, but that tends to happen with stars who want to go over as a "face" when they feud with The Miz. As Mick Foley said, The Miz is one of the best heels in the last decade. If it weren't for The Miz, I highly doubt Bryan would be as popular as he is. That feud with The Miz was what really put Daniel Bryan on the map, and the same can be said for Riley, who obviously was his right hand man at first.

I just think they took advantage of a new "face" in Riley with a solid rub off of The Miz, and he fizzled back down the ladder which in my opinion actually makes creative sense. He can still be talented, and show it on the lower card. The problem is that he isn't really showcasing his talent to it's highest potential because he is playing the "face" role. Like I said naturally I think Alex Riley is a natural fit at heel. I would even say test the waters with him as a "tweener".

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Nothing against his rub off of The Miz, but that tends to happen with stars who want to go over as a "face" when they feud with The Miz. As Mick Foley said, The Miz is one of the best heels in the last decade. If it weren't for The Miz, I highly doubt Bryan would be as popular as he is. That feud with The Miz was what really put Daniel Bryan on the map, and the same can be said for Riley, who obviously was his right hand man at first.

I just think they took advantage of a new "face" in Riley with a solid rub off of The Miz, and he fizzled back down the ladder which in my opinion actually makes creative sense. He can still be talented, and show it on the lower card. The problem is that he isn't really showcasing his talent to it's highest potential because he is playing the "face" role. Like I said naturally I think Alex Riley is a natural fit at heel. I would even say test the waters with him as a "tweener".
I agree. They gave him the ball and he didnt run with it. He's never going to get back to that level as a face. His character could definitely use an edge to it. He doesnt necessarily need to be a heel to succeed (I think there the WWE could use a fresh babyface too but it isnt him). If there was a viable tag team division, I would say he could use a tag team partner now and work a story around that.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
:lol

He wasn't sandbagging Swagger on purpose. Swagger hit him too hard and too high just before doing the gutwrench.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
:lol

He wasn't sandbagging Swagger on purpose. Swagger hit him too hard and too high just before doing the gutwrench.
LOL could have fooled me.

Reactions: Oxidamus

·
Registered
75 Posts
Regardless of A-Ry's intent in the Swagger match, it's a horrible looking botch that surely set his career back a few notches. I think A-Ry is one of the many recent instances of "too much, too fast", where circumstances led to guys being thrust into major storylines before their skills were sufficiently ready. That's how guys go from having belts to being in developmental territories/shelved for "repackaging" a few months later - like Hawkins/Ryder, Spirit Squad, Brodus Clay and almost the entire Nexus.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm stunned Riley got any kind of push after his involvement in this disaster:

Skip to around 3:00 for the fun to all begin.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
LOL could have fooled me.
It's true though. Riley isn't a good worker at all, but Swagger did hit him pretty high. It was, I guess, partially Rileys fault, considering he walked INTO Swagger, so it made Swaggers shot stiff, but regardless, he wasn't sandbagging on purpose. He actually managed to do it okay when he was ready for it.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The botch in the video didn't look too bad. Unlike the Swagger powerbomb, it didn't look like an obvious botch, it looked more like an underdog trying to fight back. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned the spot like that. Honestly, I think the match in that video is how they SHOULD have worked Tensai's debut match on RAW.

And I disagree that Riley's not a good face. He has connection with the audience and I think he'd be even more lost in the shuffle if he turned heel on an already heel heavy roster. I honestly didn't give a crap about the guy until he turned. I thought his Varsity Villain gimmick was corny and he barely got ring time as Miz's sidekick, which I feel is the main reason he's not as good as he could be right now.

But, if Riley were as bad as people say he is, then they wouldn't be using him to work matches at house shows and he would've already been fired a long time ago if he were unsafe to work with

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Riley's not nearly as bad in the ring as he used to be. He's still not good by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not really "dangerous" anymore. I'd have thought his look/charisma/mic skills/overness would have been more than enough to get him re-pushed by now (or at least have him doing something). Then again, he's hardly used on NXT either, so maybe he has a bad attitude about his position in the company. That's sheer, idle speculation on my part.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
are you dumb?

I hate swagger but that was CLEARLY rileys fault
>DISAGREE
>OTHER PERSON IS DUMB

:no:

u r da dum 1

Say what you want, but the placing of Jacks foot when he forearms Riley in the UPPER NECK (not shoulder/spine area) shows that there was a bit of unnecessary force behind the forearm. Obviously an accident on both accord.

Also, I don't blame Riley for 'sandbagging' even if he wasn't knocked around a little. Watch the gutwrench lift and it looks as if Swagger is implying on the THIRD push he wants Riley to jump, so it seems like a miscommunication if not a straight accident by both men.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
So many guys are debuting right now, and most of them are heels. They need some faces to feud with. This is where Riley can shine. I'd like to see an extended Riley/Tensai program where Tensai is some type of fear for Riley to overcome. Tensai would just obliterate Riley every week, only for Riley to pull himself together and walk out on his own power, which pisses the big man off because his ultimate goal is to crush the young man's spirit, and beating him to a pulp every week isn't enough. Eventually, Riley could hit his finisher on Tensai, he'd get a huge pop just for getting a 350 lb man on his shoulders (Think Cena/Big Show), only for Tensai to pull an Ultimate Warrior and destroy him. After Tensai decimates Riley, have Riley get up and walk out on his own power to a huge ovation from the crowd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I rate Riley about as far as I could throw, which due to his sandbagging, isn't very far at all!

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Riley's not nearly as bad in the ring as he used to be. He's still not good by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not really "dangerous" anymore. I'd have thought his look/charisma/mic skills/overness would have been more than enough to get him re-pushed by now (or at least have him doing something). Then again, he's hardly used on NXT either, so maybe he has a bad attitude about his position in the company. That's sheer, idle speculation on my part.
I pretty much agree with the bolded. Riley might not be a technical wizard, but he deserves a lot better than to be booked as a chump against debuting superstars. He should be a strongly booked midcarder right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts