Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about everyones thoughts on him... I think he has alot of potential and wish they would start to establish him as a wrestler instead of an assistant to The Miz... I think it would make the pairing of the two alot stronger. I already think he is one of the better wrestlers on the mic that wwe has at this time.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
The guy has so much potential.

He will be one of the top guys one day, but as for right now, I think he needs to work on not botching.

One thing I will never understand is why he's The Miz's lackey when he's everything The Miz should be.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Riley's got a ton of potential for long term success in the wwe.
Very very good on the mic, is servicable-good enough in the ring.
Has strong charisma, wwe look.

But he will always be known as a racist(at least on this forum), for attacking percy watson on the nxt season 2 finale, when they were on the same side.
It's pretty hysterical. But that one slight fuck up won't ruin his career. Could see him in the main event in 2 years.

Oh and if you want to see the real alex riley, watch his fcw championship run. It's absolute gold, he's highly entertaining.

In my opinion, he's more talented than the miz. Expecting neg rep soon...

·
Banned
445 Posts
I don't understand the love for Riley. I think he's ackward on the mic, and he tries waaay too hard to be a Miz clone. The Miz comes off as a natural and a big star, while to me Riley comes off as nothing more than a wannabe who can't cut it. Riley doesn't have the look either. I know that a lot of people think he's got good potential, but I just don't see it, and I really don't have anything good to say about him.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
If you notice everytime he talks on the mic he barely gets any crowd reaction, which is his main problem. My guess is that the guy is just too funny and charismatic to be a heel, i'm not saying that a heel shouldn't be charismatic but i just have a feeling that Alex Riley would be better suited as a babyface. Perhaps the crowds want to like him so they don't want to boo him, and they can't cheer for him either since Riley is supposed to be the 'bad guy' and he's also aligned with another heel The Miz, thus resulting in no reaction. Turn him face, break him free from The Miz when the time is right, he'll become big after that because he's got all the tools needed to be a star.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Future projecting: tremendous upside.

Presently: I barely notice he's even there.

Pretty wide gap to fill. He has the tools, but he's got a LONG way to go.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I don't see anything in him because that gimmick is so played out and he isn't exactly adding any new pages to the playbook with it. Being a goofy fucktard for a heel won't get you anywhere, even if you are strong on the mic. He's either got to be a face or a serious heel if he's going to be a 'top player in the company' like so many people seem to believe.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
The current role he's playing right now, which is The Miz's enforcer, works for him, but it's only going to work for so long. I expect to see him break out on his own sometime in 2011, but several things are going to have to happen in order for him to be successful:

1. His character. When it comes to actual talent, Riley's a package. He's a superior wrestler than The Miz, and is an equal on the mic, but his character is going to have to be revamped. It dosen't matter how good he is in the ring or on the mic, he comes across as a forced version of The Miz. Like some people have said, he comes across as The Miz's big brother, or an upgraded clone. People look at him and all they see is a Miz wanna-be. WWE already has a resident jackass. The character that he is portraying has been filled by The Awesome One for 5 years. That's his biggest problem.

2. His other main problem is his look - The Varsity Villian. One good thing about being The Miz's apprentice, is that you never see him in his varsity jacket. Cody Rhodes was right about him on NXT Season 2 - this isn't the 1980s. Hey McFly! The Back to the Future trilogy comes to mind. Cheesy gimmicks like that may have worked back in the late 80s - early 90s, but this is 2010, and when everything is more realistic, running around looking like a football playing bully calling opponents dorks and nerds just dosen't cut it.

Riley has the tools to be successful, but he's going to have to stop being the lovechild of The Miz and Biff in order to succeed.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,156 Posts
Said it all before, but...

Brimming with talent, loaded with potential, has to remove the stigma of his performance on NXT: Season 2 and will have to gradually outgrow his current role of Miz's lackey enforcer and personal cheerleader.

I think he'll do just fine. The main audience is still getting to know him. He's already had one transformation, from the FCW Varsity Villain, complete with varsity jacket, to Miz Lieutenant. For much of 2010, The Miz seems to have curiously and happily symbiotic relationships with those within his orbit. The two most outstanding examples of this being his long-running feud with Daniel Bryan--which saw Miz forced to raise his in-ring game while Bryan became a midcard star in WWE by having the right enemy at the right time--and now his parternship with Riley, which has enhanced Miz's credibility while providing a comfortable "in" for Riley whenever WWE wishes to begin pulling the trigger on him.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Said it all before, but...

Brimming with talent, loaded with potential, has to remove the stigma of his performance on NXT: Season 2 and will have to gradually outgrow his current role of Miz's lackey enforcer and personal cheerleader.

I think he'll do just fine. The main audience is still getting to know him. He's already had one transformation, from the FCW Varsity Villain, complete with varsity jacket, to Miz Lieutenant. For much of 2010, The Miz seems to have curiously and happily symbiotic relationships with those within his orbit. The two most outstanding examples of this being his long-running feud with Daniel Bryan--which saw Miz forced to raise his in-ring game while Bryan became a midcard star in WWE by having the right enemy at the right time--and now his parternship with Riley, which has enhanced Miz's credibility while providing a comfortable "in" for Riley whenever WWE wishes to begin pulling the trigger on him.
Yeah. There's no doubt Miz has ended up the best NXT Pro. He's helped his rookies make it on the main brand more than anybody else.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,156 Posts
Yeah. There's no doubt Miz has ended up the best NXT Pro. He's helped his rookies make it on the main brand more than anybody else.
I do agree; I admire how creative and Miz have carried his NXT: 1 and NXT: 2 storylines with his Rookies to the main brand with gusto and ambition. Great stuff.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
He's still better than The Miz in everything, cos Riley is much better on the mic and they are both decent in the ring. But he's just there getting his ass-kicked, which issn't going to help him.

·
Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts
5,594 Posts
Because of the hype from certain posters on here that I really respect, I was extremely excited when he was announced as an NXT rookie, especially being paired with Miz. Ever since he has been anywhere from utterly mediocre to completely terrible. I have not seen a single glimmer of the supposed potential. He has a lot of improving to do if he is ever going to be worth anything, otherwise I hope he just disappears.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Really glad he got some mic time this week. Sets him apart from all the other lackey/valet/apprentice/manager types.
Wow, ain't that something...
Miz has had years to show every aspect of his character and get over. Riley hasn't, so in terms of talent - it's very possible that he's got more natural talent and could achieve more.
Mathematically speaking, I could be more talented than The Miz. Though obviously nobody will believe that because that haven't seen it themselves.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I think they are giving him this more passive role for the time being because right now on RAW its Barrett & Danielsons time to shine with their mega pushes. Once their mega pushes cool down I'm sure we'll see Riley in a more active role :D

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Bottom line is the man has potential. He outshines The Miz everytime he gets on the mic. Who cares about the varsity jacket? He hardly wears the thing anyhow. Right now no one plays his role any better than he does at the current moment. Many of you seem to draw back on his botch on NXT2, but forget his promos on the show in which he clearly was better than anyone else on the show in terms of mic work.

Don't get me wrong I like The Miz. He is one of the best mid card heels around right now. However I get tired of the same old "really" gimmick he stole from SNL Weekly Update. Really? Yes, Really. It's hardly original, and I'm sure The Miz already knows this. Just go back to the skit with he, and Edge from a few weeks back, and you get to see how average The Miz really is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts