Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To start, there have been numerous comparisons between new generation and old generation wrestlers for quite different reasons: gimmick, charisma level, in-ring skills, future outlook.

I will focus on all of the latter and say that if I have to make a comparison between Alex Riley and somebody else, it would be someone who just departed from the company. In an indirect way, this can be looked at as a passing of the torch.

I'm talking about comparing Alex Riley to Shelton Benjamin. So here it is:

1) Shelton debuted as a legitimate athlete with a jock-like mentality who would show off his skills and boast for his in-ring accomplishments. Alex is a full fledged jock who likes to boast in the ring as well and put himself over for his accomplishments afterwards. In addition, they were both mentored as they debuted and showed very similar characteristics to their respective mentors, though the mentors themselves are nothing alike.

2) Have to give the edge to Riley on the charisma scale, although not everyone will agree on that. Riley has his share of critics and sceptics who don't see that "it" factor whatsoever. So was with Shelton Benjamin. However, upon his face turn he started acting more confident and showing an "it" factor charisma-wise. He did some better mic work, still nothing like Riley has, hence the reason I'm giving Riley the edge on the charisma scale.

3) The in-ring work goes to Shelton Benjamin, despite his botch pro reputation. But come to think of it, Alex Riley might have been on NXT season 1, had he not botched a move and broken his own nose. He didn't do well for himself resently, either. That wound to the back of the head may not be fully healed yet. The difference between the two being Riley got himself injured by botching moves. On another note, may be accidental, but check out the end of this vid at about 10:22. I was personally like: "WTF!? Somebody else of this stature does that besides Shelton!?" when I first saw it. And then, Dusty Rhodes made the same argument.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgms68he-34
It's not always like that, though. I mean, Alex doesn't always get himself injured when botching, while he does botch his own share. 9:07 is the point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWJJ_NWnMwo

4) Future outlook. Can only predict. Or maybe not? How about comparing in order to have argumentation in the prediction? Shelton Benjamin got off to a shaky start, winning and losing, but always staying on top somehow. Well enough to earn himself a tag team championship reign very quickly. Riley has had no problem staying on top of things because of his great performance, looking too good - win, loose or draw. What’s more, being around Kurt Angle, Shelton got to add a little extra entertainment value to his character, taking a bit of Kurt’s comedy approach which was there all the time. That naturally became a part of Benjamin & Haas’ adapted gimmick. In the very beginning of season 2, people started suggesting that Riley has that natural comedy approach to his character, comparing him with Kurt Angle. And that has stayed - both serious and funny at times in a unique way, which can easily convert from heel to face. I feel that eventually it will happen. Much like Angle’s ego was obviously too big to let him remain patient with someone, Miz is self-centred and a turn is easily in the works. It can occur at any given moment. They’ve teased possible issue problems a few times already, in fact - every time they had the opportunity. Even when the first poll was revealed, judging by Miz’s face. So this leads me to believe it may even be right after season 2 ends, if Riley loses, or more likely, after Alex becomes Miz’s lacky, just to get a contract somehow. I can see the face turn being for Riley, as Miz is too strongly build up as a heel, plus turning someone with a lower status face against a more established heel gets the new babyface much more overness and crowd reaction than it does if he makes the other man turn face. Cause if the higher ranked man turns face he is sure to bury the heel. So, it would make sense for Alex to make the face turn, have a short feud in a ‘heroic’ effort, stick around a bit on Raw to get over enough, so he can go to Smackdown in the draft and quickly become midcard champion, in this case - Intercontinental champion. Again, Benjamin took the same time and effort en route towards getting himself over before rocketing into an explosive singles run.

In conclusion, I strongly hope I’m dead wrong about one thing - going down the same road Shelton Benjamin did with his constant midcard role. I just hope the mic skills pay dividend for Riley. Both Alex Riley and Joe Hennig have so far been my favourite up-and-comers in the past few years and I’d hate for either of them to end up in the directionless midcard role for good. What bothers me is that NXT itself is a show which outlines every error on the way, preventing any chances for the guys to have a strong initial build up. There are loses, there are failures and they kayfabe have no contracts, which makes it look like they don’t deserve them just yet.

The floor is now yours.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I would not compare alex riley to shelton benjamin at all. Alex Riley can cut utterly great promos. Shelton was a better athlete and wrestler but couldn't cut a decent promo.
Alex Riley also has better natural charisma too.
I mark for shelton and riley, but they really have different skill sets.

Oh and riley won't be a mid carder, he's a guy who looks destined for the main event and be a wwe champion.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
Now that I think about they are similar. But for one point you touch, there is one thing that Alex Riley's mic skills are gonna carry him farther then Shelton because we all know that if Shelton had the mic skills he would've been the top face in the WWE. But then again, I feel like it was WWE's fault for why Shelton didn't become a top face because he was on a 8 month IC title reign until they made him drop it to Carlito with no build up and then made him go on a like a 3 month losing streak, which is where he started to lose a lot of his fanbase.

I got a little off-track there but as I was saying hopefully Alex Riley's charisma & mic skills can carry him much farther then Shelton did. Alex Riley has a bright future ahead of him as did Shelton, they both had the jock mentality (when Shelton debuted that is) but the only difference was Shelton was more of a college-based jock while Alex Riley is a more of a high-school based jock. As for their mentors, being under the wing of the WWE champion is definitely more impressive then being under the wing of the United States Champion so yeah that definitely goes under Shelton's notch but the thing is Alex Riley is on show made of all rookies, who knows what's gonna happen when he hits up RAW or SmackDown. Although I don't think Alex Riley will be a mid-carder for life while like I said Shelton had the fanbase to become a main-eventer but instead WWE made him job to Carlito and his career went downhill from there.

And last but not least, your idea would've been better had it been Daniel Bryan because I don't think Alex Riley's character can work as a face. I'm sorry the whole "Varsity Villain" thing is meant for a heel.

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
I don't think he's comparable to Shelton, but yeah, he'll likely fail. Michael Mediocrity is going to win the competition due to WWE's nepotism and Riley will fall into a directionless role like all the Nexus guys like Tarver and Slater and they'll forget about him. But he has all the main event tools.

It might help him though that WWE is obsessed with pushing young stars now and they weren't when Shelton was around.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
Pyro™;8695843 said:
I don't think he's comparable to Shelton, but yeah, he'll likely fail. Michael Mediocrity is going to win the competition due to WWE's nepotism and Riley will fall into a directionless role like all the Nexus guys like Tarver and Slater and they'll forget about him. But he has all the main event tools.
I hate The Miz but he made an interesting point during his "worked" shoot on McGillicuty. He said "Just because your dad was great, doesn't mean you are."

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
And he's right, but that doesn't matter. WWE clearly has a hard on for Perfect's kid, they've booked him to win every match except for one match against Miz who's US champion and MITB winner, and it was after he'd already wrestled.

But, thankfully, if WWE does not have Hennig win, then it will clearly go to Riley because there's no way Vince will ever let Kaval, Watson, Harris or Cannon win.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
And he's right, but that doesn't matter. WWE clearly has a hard on for Perfect's kid, they've booked him to win every match except for one match against Miz who's US and IC champion, and it was after he'd already wrestled.

But, thankfully, if WWE does not have Hennig win, then it will clearly go to Riley because there's no way Vince will ever let Kaval, Watson, Harris or Cannon win.
Well Alex Riley is the obvious choice if McGillicuty doesn't win. Cannon is Rocky Maivia 2.0, Percy Watson's character is already starting to get stale, Harris is just....no, Kaval is too small, Alex Riley is the obvious choice.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alex Riley has a bright future ahead of him as did Shelton, they both had the jock mentality (when Shelton debuted that is) but the only difference was Shelton was more of a college-based jock while Alex Riley is a more of a high-school based jock.
And last but not least, your idea would've been better had it been Daniel Bryan because I don't think Alex Riley's character can work as a face. I'm sorry the whole "Varsity Villain" thing is meant for a heel.
Obviously, the gimmick must be changed to a certain extend in order to get over as capable of carrying him to a more uppercard role. That's really what I'm saying in terms of a turn. That would be what helps him tweak his gimmick, get rid of the letterman signs on that jacket and be more to the point when cutting a promo. It's easy now when he's talking to all the other rookies or the entire crowd, but it's not gonna cut it to tell somebody in a 1-1 feud "10 years ago I stuffed you in lockers and stole your lunch money". Besides, 10 years is too long ago to talk about.

And good thing to point out the main difference between the initial gimmicks.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
But i don't get it, what's so great when you compare them, you are gonna see that most Guys fall short. I mean every time i see Cody, Ted or David hart Smith, i think they are decent to good Packages, but they could not lace the boots of their Daddy's. I think it makes them look bad, there has only been a few that surpassed their Dad and became bigger. Barry Windham, The Rock & Randy Orton. I don't think there are much more Guys who did it.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Alex Riley has main eventer written all over him. It's like seeing Kurt Angle or Brock Lesnar or John Cena (once he got the rap gimmick) for the first time. He has the perfect look, the mic skills, the charisma and he's even good in the ring. He could be a future WWE posterboy.

Hennig Jr is just Ted Jr all over again. His look is not as impressive as Riley and he has nothing else going for him besides who his daddy was. I don't get the deal with him.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Riley is a future champion , the dude got the whole package.
I don't get the bashing on hennig... I mean , I agree to a certain point that he ain't that special but the dude is one of the best inring workers on fcw and nxt... and he's confident....

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
Because he's second generation and they can keep comparing him to his dad.
Quite clearly, but the reason why is irrelevant, they are. Up to this point, he's been booked better than everybody in both seasons and I'm sure he'll stay in the #1 position until the show ends, much like Wade Barrett did after Daniel Bryan was eliminated. The only way I can see him losing the competition is if Alex Riley beats him before the final vote and considering the only person that has beaten Hennig so far is Riley's pro, The Miz, who has the US title AND the MITB, who the entire show revolves around (not to mention Hennig had already wrestled), it's unlikely.

Unless WWE is just trying to swerve the audience like when they gave The Miz the US title a month before he won the MITB to make people think somebody else was going to win the match, because it was SO obvious Miz was going to win, then Hennig will end up taking it.....tragically.

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
Alex Riley has main eventer written all over him. It's like seeing Kurt Angle or Brock Lesnar or John Cena (once he got the rap gimmick) for the first time. He has the perfect look, the mic skills, the charisma and he's even good in the ring. He could be a future WWE posterboy.

Hennig Jr is just Ted Jr all over again. His look is not as impressive as Riley and he has nothing else going for him besides who his daddy was. I don't get the deal with him.
Not at all my friend, Hennig is already over, sometthing which DiBiase hasn't been able to do all his career.

·
Registered
139 Posts
iv always seen him as the next cena, as to wether he will be booked that way is yet to be seen

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I still don't get Riley. I get that his in-ring work and mic skills are solid, but there's a massive dealbreaker for me. His acting is atrocious. This is probably not going to be a popular thing to say, but IMO his acting his Otunga level bad. He's got everything, yet he chooses to over-act everything he does to an excruciating level.

How can I take him seriously when he's rolling around the ring because he got kissed by a fat chick? I know it's meant to be funny and I would've found it funny if he'd played it out in a more subtle way. The old saying "less is more" is something Riley needs to learn.

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
Hennig's not over. The only reaction he ever gets is a few scattered boos and that's a terrible thing since he's a face.
He's obviously over, as he's been near the top of the poll for the entire of NXT.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
It's probably rigged. WWE has booked him the strongest so they see something in him. Casuals don't watch NXT so smarks are the majority voting. Riley and Kaval are the smark favorites.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts