Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I didn't see them as that similar. It was actually a decent promo by Riley, and that's coming from someone who despises him. To me, he's a shining example of corporate WWE bland 8x10 superstars. He's basically Miz-lite.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see anything similar. :draper2
They both hit on the same topic, not knowing if your career will continue, Dusty's was about not knowing if you have enough to have food on a plate or being replaced, Riley's about not having a family or direction to go to with no wrestling career, Riley also talks about being locked in a cage and being held back but falling in line because he loves the business that much.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I liked the promo a lot.

Riley has always had a real natural feel to him. When he's talking (much like Zayn) it almost doesn't feel like a promo, just him saying what's on his mind.

I can't help but like the guy and wish him well.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I liked the promo a lot.

Riley has always had a real natural feel to him. When he's talking (much like Zayn) it almost doesn't feel like a promo, just him saying what's on his mind.

I can't help but like the guy and wish him well.
I wouldn't be surprised if Dusty didn't help him with this or if drew inspiration from watching "Hard Times"

·
Registered
273 Posts
From what I've seen, Alex Riley can talk very well. I wish him luck.

His heel gimmick back in nXt was pretty good too - due to look and charisma. He made you dislike him.

And I liked his partnership with the Miz too. Alex Riley to me seemed like the type of tool (talking character) that Miz would hang out with and associate with. Damien Sandow is too gimmicky (tho I like Sandow too).

I also follow him on twitter, and can't help but like him on there. He seems like a "real person" I guess is the best way to describe it.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alex Riley....compared to Dusty Rhodes!??

:WTF
We got to stop this. This thing right here where the old school vets are held to the greatest pedestal, it's no shame if someone shows fucking similarities. All these new guys need is a chance. I saw the similarity and I wasn't an A-Ry fan. But even I had the pride to admit he did remind me of Dusty in this promo. Not every. This, just this one.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
That was actually a great promo, didn't expect that. He seems extremely natural, I can only name very few wrestlers who talk that comfortably.

If they repackage him with a character that's better than some highschool jock or Miz lite I can see him going places.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Hard Times? Really my man?

*sigh*

Anyway it was a nice promo, a lot of emotion.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
We got to stop this. This thing right here where the old school vets are held to the greatest pedestal, it's no shame if someone shows fucking similarities. All these new guys need is a chance. I saw the similarity and I wasn't an A-Ry fan. But even I had the pride to admit he did remind me of Dusty in this promo. Not every. This, just this one.
I have no issues with modern talents being compared to wrestling legends.....but it's fucking Alex Riley we are talking about here man......

Edit: When Dusty gives that promo you actually believe him because he was probably actually kind of poor and probably lived in some low income area at some point of his life with like ten kids.....It comes from the heart....

Diametrically, Riley became an announcer because he apparently wanted to, and got back in the ring because he wanted to. His promo has no real gravitas behind it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts