Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39938704/ns/health-addictions/

LONDON — Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, according to a new study.
British experts evaluated substances including alcohol, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and marijuana, ranking them based on how destructive they are to the individual who takes them and to society as a whole.
Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and how it harms the human body, in addition to other criteria like environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison.

Heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamines, or crystal meth, were the most lethal to individuals. When considering their wider social effects and harm to others, alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the deadliest. But overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack cocaine. Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower.

Devastating consequences
The study was paid for by Britain's Centre for Crime and Justice Studies and was published online Monday in the medical journal, Lancet.
Experts said alcohol scored so high because it is so widely used and has devastating consequences not only for drinkers but for those around them.
"Just think about what happens (with alcohol) at every football game," said Wim van den Brink, a professor of psychiatry and addiction at the University of Amsterdam. He was not linked to the study and co-authored a commentary in the Lancet.

When drunk in excess, alcohol damages nearly all organ systems. It is also connected to higher death rates and is involved in a greater percentage of crime than most other drugs, including heroin.
But experts said it would be impractical and incorrect to outlaw alcohol.

"We cannot return to the days of prohibition," said Leslie King, an adviser to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and one of the study's authors. "Alcohol is too embedded in our culture and it won't go away."

King said countries should target problem drinkers, not the vast majority of people who indulge in a drink or two. He said governments should consider more education programs and raising the price of alcohol so it isn't as widely available.
Experts said the study should prompt countries to reconsider how they classify drugs. For example, last year in Britain, the government increased its penalties for the possession of marijuana. One of its senior advisers, David Nutt — the lead author on the Lancet study — was fired after he criticized the British decision.
"What governments decide is illegal is not always based on science," said van den Brink. He said considerations about revenue and taxation, like those garnered from the alcohol and tobacco industries, may influence decisions about which substances to regulate or outlaw.
"Drugs that are legal cause at least as much damage, if not more, than drugs that are illicit," he said.
I leave you guys to judge for yourselves.

·
GOAT
4,523 Posts
I'm surprised that ecstasy is not highly rated, and mentioned alongside weed to be honest.

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
ecstasy is a fucking awesome drug.

saw this on the news. big headline considering Australia as a society has a huge drinking problem (i'm definitly part of the cause, not the solution) but what was explained was the fact that to the individual heroin is far more dangerous. Which kinda makes you question the point of the study, alcohol is a far more readily available substance than heroin, of course its going to have more of an impact on society. don't need a fucking study to tell you that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Completely flawed study, but if alcohol was a new drug coming onto the market there is no way that it would be allowed. After all it can cause brain and liver damage, makes you far more likely to injure yourself and and increases the crime rate as people do stupid things when drunk. Governments would ban it if it wasn't so deeply ingrained in society. Having said that, I'm fairly certain I am part of the problem rather than the solution!

·
1,817 Posts
Technically more people die from driving NOT under the influence of alcohol so next time I go somewhere I'm taking a few spirits and a crate of lager to be safe
IT'S BULLSHIT
If the study was fair and had one person take a certain amount of heroin for a month and another with alcohol the heroin taker would be far far worse, so just because drinking is a lot more common than taking heroin doesn't mean its more dangerous.

Surprised at this, they are usually so over exaggerating the affects of illegal drugs, M-kat was a big headline because someone died of it, but I dont even want to know what they added to the drug because I've seen a fair few people take a lot of M-Kat and it's a harmless drug much like cannabis aslong as you know your limits

·
40,767 Posts
ecstasy is a fucking awesome drug.
Potent euphoric madness for sure. No drug has ever been so aptly named.

saw this on the news. big headline considering Australia as a society has a huge drinking problem (i'm definitly part of the cause, not the solution) but what was explained was the fact that to the individual heroin is far more dangerous. Which kinda makes you question the point of the study, alcohol is a far more readily available substance than heroin, of course its going to have more of an impact on society. don't need a fucking study to tell you that.
That's exactly what I thought while reading this. This study is a waste of time because it states the obvious.

Drug abuse can ruin lives...well fucking duh.

·
''The Tone''
1,490 Posts
Quite disappointing that this topic was made. Especially from the information actually used.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Didn't watch or read, all I had to see was the video title 'Alcohol damages society like no other drug'. I don't drink, but I'm pretty sure that the amount of people willing to commit violent crime to get money for booze is a lot lower than those who are willing to do it for coke or heroin money.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Rick James would disagree.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I know alcohol is one of the worst, and definitely worse than weed or coke but I think Oxycontin and Heroin got alcohol beat, just barely. None of them should be illegal or sold by dealers though, except for Oxycontin, we don't need it inflating the wallets of billionaires. Tax it all (and don't water it down)and use it to pay off debt.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know alcohol is one of the worst, and definitely worse than weed or coke but I think Oxycontin and Heroin got alcohol beat, just barely. None of them should be illegal or sold by dealers though, except for Oxycontin, we don't need it inflating the wallets of billionaires. Tax it all (and don't water it down)and use it to pay off debt.
I think this sounds great in theory but TBH I personally have a problem with ALL drugs being readily available. Just knowing kids can get their hands on heroin and crack as easily as getting cigarettes really sounds like the road to a fucked up society. I'd rather have the country pay off the debt slowly rather then risking kids snortin up cocaine.

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
^ cocaine is a hell of a drug.

too expensive for me though, ecstasy is far cheaper and leads to some crazy nights out.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
In places where drugs are legal, safe and easy to find they are actually less popular with locals, and they bring in a ton of tourists, the same goes with brothels. They keep women clean, off the streets and alive, and you never here of someone picking up an STI/STD in a legalized Brothel.

·
WEF's #1 Oz Mark
11,119 Posts
Wow, this thread is full of idiots. Keep drinking, and die.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts