Wrestling Forum banner

Alberto del Rio = Modern day JBL?

3928 Views 30 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Ham and Egger
When I say "JBL," I don't mean Bradshaw from the APA. I mean John "Bradshaw" Layfield.

Anyway, think about it:

1. Both have "rich dick" gimmicks (although one of them is his real life persona), and flaunt their wealth to get themselves over as a heel.
2. Both just EXPLODED onto the scene, without any warning.
3. Both have shitty, unimpressive finishing moves (clothesline and armbar).
4. Both are more associated with the Smackdown brand.

It seems as if WWE is trying to recreate JBL as the modern day Mexican equivalent of JBL. Thoughts?
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
7,244 Posts
if he is he's a much lesser version of jbl

· Asuka
123,116 Posts
There are character similarities, the main difference is, besides the American vs Mexican tycoon thing, JBL being universes ahead of Del Rio in the mic skills department, and Del Rio being universes ahead of JBL in the ring skills department, Alberto Del Rio is purely a character. JBL is not a character, that's him, only with the volume turned up. He is a legitimate multi millionaire. Del Rio is more similar to Ted Dibiase if anything.

· Registered
8,175 Posts
Once again, you prove that your Username is redundant.

JBL was not the 1st rich asshole gimmick in the WWE. There have been lots of "rich assholes" in the WWE and pro wrestling in general.

-Ric Flair

-Ted Dibiase Sr.

-Tiger Ali Singh

-Hunter Hearst Helmsley

-Mr. McMahon

-Ted Dibiase Jr.

When did JBL become the owner of the "rich asshole" gimmick???

BTW, if Bradshaw hits you with the clothesline from hell the way he did it. You're going down.

If Alberto Del Rio locks in that Cross Armbreaker, you're tapping out!

I dare you to go up to them and say their finishing moves are shitty!

Also, Alberto Del Rio is MUCH better than JBL.

· Registered
193 Posts
JBL was fat, out of shape and hard to watch in the ring. But... He could talk. His promos had variety. I was marking out for Del Rio at first but it's gotten stale fast. It was my destiny should never be spoken again...

If WWE gave him some time to work on promos before hand he would be the total package. I personally think they're making a mistake by pushing him to quickly.

Edit- BTW Del Rio's armbar is in no way shitty. Probably one of the best looking finishers right now and it could really rip your arm off.

· ¡GOLDADO!
2,647 Posts
When I say "JBL," I don't mean Bradshaw from the APA. I mean John "Bradshaw" Layfield.

Anyway, think about it:

1. Both have "rich dick" gimmicks (although one of them is his real life persona), and flaunt their wealth to get themselves over as a heel.
2. Both just EXPLODED onto the scene, without any warning.
3. Both have shitty, unimpressive finishing moves (clothesline and armbar).
4. Both are more associated with the Smackdown brand.

It seems as if WWE is trying to recreate JBL as the modern day Mexican equivalent of JBL. Thoughts?
Mondern day JBL? I'm guessing a few years back ancient history now to you.

You're third point is one I take real issue with, both are moves that could finish fights in real contests. People don't need to do 500 flips during a move to make it impressive, realistic finishing power can be just as impressive.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Strange how some of the most realistic finishers are commonly deemed terrible. There's the "parkour" knee, clothesline from hell, arm-bar, sleeper hold, and probably many more. Then again, you know what's a real realistically devastating maneuver? Punching a guy in the jaw. With that in mind, I digress about the importance of realism in profession wrestling.

· Registered
550 Posts
On the surface, maybe. However, ADR's promos consist of four or five lines that he repeats without fail EVERY WEEK, and it comes off as lazy and boring. It's basically the generic rich guy gimmick with a Mexican twist.

JBL on the other hand took the rich Texan asshole gimmick and added a presidential flavour, which allowed him to deliver consistently awesome promos while tapping into the social tensions of the time. The result was one of the greatest heel characters of all time.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, to those people who actually say that the Clothesline from Hell and the armbar are not shitty, comparing them to real fights, I've got news for you. Clean out your ears, because this is probably gonna shock you:

This isn't "real" fighting. Wrestling is fake for a reason. Wrestling started out as merely a professional version of Olympic wrestling, but that was too boring to attract a mainstream audience. Staging the fights allows you to make the fights more exciting, and I expect them to do exactly that, and I feel justified in that expectation.

I really couldn't give less of a rat's ass if these moves are effective in real combat. This isn't real combat. There's a reason that the cruiserweight division kept WCW form going under a lot sooner than it did. There's a reason the X-Division put TNA on the map. There's a reason that Hulk Hogan used to rape wrestling in the ass. There's a reason that people mark out for Austin and the Rock, even to this day.

Wrestling is not a real fight. You want a real fight, watch UFC. I watch wrestling to see a flashier show than I can get with UFC.

Bitch.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You do realise that no one can hear what you've typed, right?
Ok, now YOU'RE the ignorant shithead, if you actually thought that sentence was literal.

· ¡GOLDADO!
2,647 Posts
Ok, to those people who actually say that the Clothesline from Hell and the armbar are not shitty, comparing them to real fights, I've got news for you. Clean out your ears, because this is probably gonna shock you:

This isn't "real" fighting. Wrestling is fake for a reason. Wrestling started out as merely a professional version of Olympic wrestling, but that was too boring to attract a mainstream audience. Staging the fights allows you to make the fights more exciting, and I expect them to do exactly that, and I feel justified in that expectation.

I really couldn't give less of a rat's ass if these moves are effective in real combat. This isn't real combat. There's a reason that the cruiserweight division kept WCW form going under a lot sooner than it did. There's a reason the X-Division put TNA on the map. There's a reason that Hulk Hogan used to rape wrestling in the ass. There's a reason that people mark out for Austin and the Rock, even to this day.

Wrestling is not a real fight. You want a real fight, watch UFC. I watch wrestling to see a flashier show than I can get with UFC.

Bitch.
Okay, everyone has to have the same opinion as you, otherwise you rant and call people a bitch. I couldn't give a "rats ass" about your opinion if you take opposite opinions like that.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, everyone has to have the same opinion as you, otherwise you rant and call people a bitch. I couldn't give a "rats ass" about your opinion if you take opposite opinions like that.
No, people don't have to have the same opinion as me.

But, when you try and lecture me about how effective these moves are in real combat, when we're NOT FUCKING TALKING ABOUT REAL FUCKING COMBAT, that just brings my piss to a boil.

That's like, if I don't like a certain video game, and I criticize the lack of a sense of direction, with no clear indication of what the player is supposed to do, and you say "Zelda has that, and it rocks!" Well guess what? Unless the game I'm criticizing is not fucking Zelda, then why the FUCK are you lecturing me about fucking Zelda?

Wrestling is an apple. Real combat is an orange. Don't compare the two, or else you end up strawmanning.

· Banned
4,446 Posts
JBL is a nobody who wouldn't mean shit if not for Eddie Guerrero putting him over. He's a fake Ted Dibiase who get overpushed for almost no damn reason. One of the worst WWE title runs of all time.

Del Rio is a better wrestler and has a better star aura about him. It won't take the whole damn roster jobbing out to him for him to stay relevant. Just pure talent.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.