Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else feel this way about him? He's obviously a good wrestler, and is capable of generating heel heat, but I swear to God, if you've seen 1 ADR SmackDown segment in the past 2 months, you've seen them all.

Alberto Del Rio shows up in Bentley honking horn.
Spanish ring announcer announces him
"My name is Alberto Del Rio, but you already know that!"
(Spanish gibberish)
"Did you see what I did to that litte Rey Mysterio?"
(more Spanish)
Goes on about how rich or great he is. Money / power gimmick to crowd
Someone challenges him.
He kicks their ass in their later match.

Basically, same shit, for 5-10 minutes, every week, just replace Rey with Bourne or Christian as the challenger. And I can guarantee you, we'll probably see more of the same tonight when Rey comes back. Christian was just a filler. I've been willing to give the guy a chance to grow on me. But that's just it. He hasn't grown on me at all. After his initial debut, that's been it.

This is just my opinion, but ADR isn't shaping up to be the "next big thing" like some people thought he would be.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I don't think so really. It's been all of a few weeks. If in a couple of months the situation is the same then I'll say he's boring.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I was wondering when this would start to happen. He's only been in the company for a couple of months and already he's been labelled as stale. I don't think he's boring at all, he's pretty much the only reason I watch smackdown these days.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
"Basically, same shit, for 5-10 minutes, every week, just replace Rey with Bourne or Christian as the challenger."

Welcome to the WWE in 2010

Most of the characters are repetitive and do the same shit over and over

They will even do the same match week after week for like 5-6 weeks

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Nope. He's pretty much the only interesting thing left in Smackdown nowadays.

·
pretending to be nice
1,492 Posts
WWE wrestlers perform 52 times a year in national TV and on top of that on countless house shows and a handful of PPV's. It's their job to create a gimmick that can be repeated, because A) You can't make up good new stuff all the time B) People don't watch every show and they don't like recaps, so why waste a good gimmick / event / whatever for just one night except for PPV's. Also people pay to watch their favourite wrestlers, and just like people on music gigs want to hear their favourite songs from the band so do people want to see their favourite wrestlers do what they always do. Anyways, if you don't like the repetition, then WWE probably isn't what you should be watching.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Nope, but in true iwc fashion no matter how good someone is people will always find something to bitch about.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Does anybody else feel this way about him? He's obviously a good wrestler, and is capable of generating heel heat, but I swear to God, if you've seen 1 ADR SmackDown segment in the past 2 months, you've seen them all.

Alberto Del Rio shows up in Bentley honking horn.
Spanish ring announcer announces him
"My name is Alberto Del Rio, but you already know that!"
(Spanish gibberish)
"Did you see what I did to that litte Rey Mysterio?"
(more Spanish)
Goes on about how rich or great he is. Money / power gimmick to crowd
Someone challenges him.
He kicks their ass in their later match.

Basically, same shit, for 5-10 minutes, every week, just replace Rey with Bourne or Christian as the challenger. And I can guarantee you, we'll probably see more of the same tonight when Rey comes back. Christian was just a filler. I've been willing to give the guy a chance to grow on me. But that's just it. He hasn't grown on me at all. After his initial debut, that's been it.

This is just my opinion, but ADR isn't shaping up to be the "next big thing" like some people thought he would be.
Why do people always blame the wrestlers for things like this? Blame CREATIVE not the Wrestler himself. Booking can completely make or break a wrestler.

Alberto without a question has the right tools. Its just up to creative to use his tools correctly.

·
Asuka
96,371 Posts
Let's try something else.

The Miz is getting boring.

Does anybody else feel this way about him? He's obviously a good wrestler, and is capable of generating heel heat, but I swear to God, if you've seen 1 Miz Raw segment in the past 2 months, you've seen them all.

Miz shows up, talks about how he's Mr. MITB, goes on to mock Daniel Bryan, calls him a disrespectful nobody, a nerd, says his theme music sucks, blah blah blah, talks about being the posterboy of the WWE, blah blah blah, "because I'm The Miz, and I'm.....AWESOME!"

And no, The Miz is most certainly not getting boring. I just did that to illustrate a point. EVERYONE has a routine. John Cena has one, Triple H has one, Randy Orton has one, The Miz has one, and Alberto Del Rio has one. The point of wrestling is to perfect a routine. Don't get so bothered by something that's been around forever.

Alberto rules.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
He has a bland gimmick but is incredibly talented.

You should know by now that bland gimmicks are what makes the most money in WWE. The less thought-provoking the better.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
no way alberto del rio is getting boring. alberto del rio is one of the most interesting people on smackdown. i love the mic skills and he has the in ring skills to match. as far as him arriving in a bently and having his own ring announcer, thats called an entrance. all the wrestlers have their routine for their entrance. this is what helps identify them to the audience. for example..undertaker has the lights go out, walks to the ring extremely slow down an entrance way covered in flames and smoke...the ultimate warrior literally just ran to the ring everytime. he never walked to the ring and that guy wasn't boring. get my point

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,037 Posts
Meh, I suppose it does seem a bit stale now. I agree with the OP, his segments are the same thing, and have nothing new. People bash the Rock for saying the same stuff in his segments yet this guy does it and the IWC gizz all over it.

·
Asuka
96,371 Posts
Meh, I suppose it does seem a bit stale now. I agree with the OP, his segments are the same thing, and have nothing new. People bash the Rock for saying the same stuff in his segments yet this guy does it and the IWC gizz all over it.
They do? Rock is by FAR the most popular wrestler on this forum and it's not even close.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pyro™;8898703 said:
They do? Rock is by FAR the most popular wrestler on this forum and it's not even close.
I'm willing to bet Chris Jericho could give him a run for the money. If The Rock is the IWC God, then Jericho is the IWC Jesus.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
He debuted August 20th. Now he is boring. Sounds like OP has AD/HD

I still enjoy him though

1 - 20 of 89 Posts