• No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new on the forum! I'd like to talk about a particular match: the 3 vs 3 of AJPW What We Can Do Now, but first a little introduction.

The legendary All Japan Pro-Wrestling is a famous Japanese promotion, thanks to the great stars who have wrested there before such as Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta, Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada and many others. AJPW is also famous outside her country thanks to the matches praised by the "smart" fans, Kobashi/Misawa, Kawada/Misawa and co. A reputation greatly helped also by the journalist Dave Meltzer who made Misawa, Kobashi and Kawada absolute legends.
If I talk to you about that first, it's because she has this reputation outside Japan only because of its Golden Age: the 90s. But the current All Japan can still offer us great matches, and they proved it with the Main Event of What We Can Do Now.

Suwama, Zeus & Kento Miyahara vs. Shuji Ishikawa, Jake Lee & Yuma Aoyagi
(04.06.2020)​

Let's start by introducing these six men (They are presented according to the image above, from left to right):
- Team Suwama -
Zeus: A big Powerhouse in the style of Yuji Okabayashi, he is the leader of the Purple Haze clan. He is also an former rival of Kento Miyahara.
Kento Miyahara: He's like the Ace of AJPW, he's very charismatic and surprisingly popular with his Heel attitude. He teams up with his two biggest rivals. He is the leader of the NEXTREAM clan.
Suwama: Current Triple Crown champion and major figure of the company, he's a sort of AJPW veteran and his gimmick relies on that quite a lot. He took the title from Kento Miyahara two weeks before the match (so they are rivals) and is the partner of Shuji Ishikawa, a member of the opposing team.
- Team Ishikawa -
Shuji Ishikawa: Partner of Suwama and current Tag Team champions with him, they took the title with Zeus in early 2020. He's the natural leader of his team.
Jake Lee: Former member of the NEXTREAM clan (he is currently in the JIN clan) and Miyahara's rival, he faced him in early 2020. He looks like a star but is not a total star yet.
Yuma Aoyagi: Young wrestler with a golden future. He teams up with his leader's rival and opposing clan member, Jake Lee. He faced Kento Miyahara earlier this year for the Triple Crown title, a match he lost.

All these informations are extremely important to understand the history and to like to see the evolution of the match.

Now let's get to the heart of the matter, the match is exceptional. What's the big deal? Because the Story Telling has been incredibly well handled with all the connections the wrestlers have with each other, the Suwama team is full of tension that allows the opposing team to take the upper hand in the match. So the three stars have taken it seriously while keeping an individualistic side, and it's that side that will prevent them from winning. But the match ended in Time Limit Draw because the chemistry and cohesion of the Ishikawa team wasn't enough to beat the three machines either.
There is also the "pure" action of this match which is very good. From this point of view, the match is also very good. The six wrestlers are at least very good, and during the whole hour, they knew how to make it rather dynamic.
I really like how the intensity of the match increases during the match, the intrigue is almost unbearable and the moment when the draw is announced almost made me pop.

I think that to enjoy the whole match, you have to consider the Story Telling AND the Pure Action, it's thanks to both that the match was never boring, despite its duration.

I'm not someone who puts big marks on every match I see, but right now I think the Five Stars rating is well deserved. Of course, it's a MOTYC.

To conclude, I invite you to watch this match, I hope I didn't over-hyped it, it may disappoint during the viewing. And I hope that like me, this 3 vs 3 will make you fall in love with the current AJPW.

(I'm sorry if I made mistakes in English or in some information)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I hope AJPW the best. I actually like the idea of Zeus, Miyahara and Suwama teaming up as rivals, but why are all six raising each other’s arms? That feels a bit bush league and off-putting to me.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I might go out of my way to check it out. Been rooting for All Japan to get it back together, haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts